Status: Chapter titles are lyrics from the song "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon. Give it a listen :)

Rave

We Lifted This House

With his fingers moving around the fabric of a seat belt, Harrison took in every single detail of the moment through drunken, teary eyes. Dorian was kissing him, and Harrison tasted the liquor, along with thousands of other regrets and worries. Heidi’s father was likely to kill them all after this, he recollected.

“You love Heidi,” Harrison fisted the seatbelt, squeezing it until he swore the material cut into him. “You love her,” he repeated, hoping Dorian would go ahead and simply admit it. Woozily, Dorian shook his head from side to side.

The man Harrison loved dearly was thinking, rattling his brain. This utterly confused Harrison, who had to remind himself there was no such thing as a perfect love story. Lying on his back, the bass from the building rattling the glass in the windshields, Harrison stared into the stars and closed his eyes. From there, no one was judging him; no one had anything to say to Harrison.

He dearly yearned for this many years ago, the silence, to be left alone to sort things out. Now, he wanted to be told again. Harrison longed for the ‘I love you and only you.’ There was this need, self-defeating at best, for this perfect fairy tale. “I do, but she doesn’t,” Dorian frowned, collapsing on top of Harrison with a loud thump.

Cringing from the harsh impact, Harrison rubbed Dorian’s back soothingly. With one last glance at the stars, the eyes that saw the world with the brutal severity it could offer, Harrison let his eyes close.