Status: in progress

The Great Cat's Daughter

Chapter 2

3rd POV

Lucy runs into a room to hide from Peter who continues to count. The room is empty except for something underneath a dusty white sheet. She pulls it off to reveal a beautiful oak wardrobe. She gazes at it for a few moments before opening the door and hiding inside leaving the door open just a crack to let some light in. She backs up to lean against the wall passing through the fur coats when she trips and falls to find herself in a snowy wood. She is amazed at what she sees, and is completely in awe of it all. Lucy explores the forest and soon she walks up to a lamppost, burning in the middle of the woods. She is startled hears hoof beats and bushes rustling around her. Lucy looks around and suddenly a faun steps out from among the trees. She screams and hides behind the lamppost and the faun does the same hiding behind the trees once again. Lucy looked from behind the lamppost at the faun that has dropped its parcels and watches as the Faun looks out from behind a tree. Lucy comes out slowly walking closer while picking up a parcel that the faun had dropped it was so startled.

"Uh, CH... ch.. child." The faun stammers out.

"Were you hiding from me?" Lucy asks

"No. Uh, well. He continues to stammer. "I just... I... No. No. I-I-I just... I was just, um... I uh didn't want to scare you."

"If you don't mind my asking...what are you?" Lucy asks looking at his legs.

"Well, I'm a..." He sighs. "Well, I'm a faun. And what about you? You must be some kind of…beardless dwarf?" He asks her.

"I'm not a dwarf. I'm a girl! And, actually, I'm tallest in my class." Lucy brags.

"Do you mean to say that you're a Daughter of Eve?" The faun asks her.

"Well, my mum's name is Helen..." Lucy says trailing off.

"Yes, but you are in fact human?" The faun asks

"Yes, of course." Lucy exclaims at such a silly question.

"What are you doing here?" The faun questions her.

"Well, I was hiding in the wardrobe in the spare room, and..."

"Spare Oom? Is that in Narnia?" The faun asks interrupting her.

"Narnia? What's that?" Lucy asks confused.

"Well, dear girl, you're in it! Everything from the lamppost, all the way to Castle Cair Paravel on the Eastern Ocean, every stick and stone you see, every icicle…is Narnia," The faun. says gesturing around them.

"This is an awfully big wardrobe." Lucy exclaims.

"War Drobe?" The faun scoffs. "I'm sorry. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tummus."

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Tumnus! I'm Lucy Pevensie." She says extending her hand.

Seeing the confused look on Mr. Tumnus face she explains. "Oh, you shake it."

"Uh…why?" He asks.

"I... I don't know. People do it when they meet each other."

Mr. Tumnus shakes her hand sideways. "Well, then, Lucy Pevensie from the shining city of War Drobe in the wondrous land of Spare Oom, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?" He asks hopefully.

"Well, thank you very much, but I... I probably should be getting back." Lucy says a little wary of the stranger.

"Yes, but it's just around the corner! And there'll be a glorious fire with toast and cakes! And-and, perhaps, we'll even break into the sardines. Oh and you can meet Aurora she's coming for tea today too!" He says happily.

"I don't know….." Lucy says trailing off.

"Come on. It's not every day that I get to make a new friend" Mr. Tumnus pleads with her.

"Well, I suppose I could come for a little while. If you have sardines." Lucy says smiling.

"By the bucket load." He says.

They walk arm-in-arm to Tumnus' home.

"Not much further. Wait until you see it. You all right?" He asks her.

"Mm-hm."

Suddenly they stop when they see a beautiful but Fierce looking Lioness come into view although at the same time giving off a feeling of warmth. Lucy stops and gasps hiding behind Mr. Tumnus.

Aurora POV

It has been about 100 years since I last saw my father. I've hardly had any run ins with the witch so far. A few close calls here and there though. I've been very careful with staying hidden; she may believe I left with my father but I know there have been whispers about me still being in Narnia. I have made new friends to keep me company till the Kings and Queens arrive. The beavers, Badger, Mr. Tummus and some of the other people that live in the forests.

I was on my way to Mr. Tummus's house today for Tea when I heard voices.

"Not much further. Wait until you see it. You all right?" I hear Mr. Tummus say.

"Mm-hm." A little voice replies as I step out into view.

I tried to hide my shock at seeing a little human girl gasp and hide behind Mr. Tummus.

"It's alright Lucy, She's my friend." Mr. Tummus says to the girl named Lucy.

She slowly comes forward to me.

"Hello. I'm Lucy Pevensie." She says shyly.

I get out of my shock and give her a cat grin." Hello Lucy. I'm Aurora."

She smiles back at me and they continue to walk forwards. I fall into step with them with Lucy between Mr. Tummus and I.

Lucy stops when she sees the door to Mr. Tummus house looking at it with Awe on her face? I don't see what the big deal is it's just a door.

"Well, here we are. Come Along." Mr. Tummus says opening the door for us. "After you."

"May I help you with that?" Lucy asks Mr. Tummus gesturing to his packages.

"Thank you very much." He says in reply letting her take one into the house with me following her.

"Oh." Lucy exclaims looking around stopping at a picture of Mr. Tummus Father.

"Now that…that is my father." Mr. Tummus explains

"He has a nice face. He looks a lot like you." She says Looking up at Mr. Tummus.

I go and sit on the couch across from Mr. Tummus's spot.

"No, I'm not very much like him at all, really." Mr. Tummus says sadly.

Lucy looks over at the couch I'm sitting on and walked over.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" She asks politely.

I smile at her. "Please do."

She comes and sits beside me then slowly puts her hand on my head. I move closer to her and put my head on her lap while she pets my head even though it's a little degrading I can't help but like it and start to purr.

"My father is fighting in the war." Lucy says sadly. Making me think of mine.

"My father went away to war too. But that was a long, long time ago. Before this dreadful winter." Mr. Tummus says.

"Winter's not all bad. There's ice skating and snow ball fights. Oh! And Christmas!" Lucy said enthusiastically

"Not here." Mr. Tummus said

"No, we haven't had a Christmas in a hundred years." I continue sadly.

"What? No presents for a hundred years?" Lucy says obviously upset by this.

"Always winter, never Christmas. It's been a long winter. But you would have loved Narnia in summer. We Fauns danced with the dryads all night, and, you know, we never got tired. And music! Oh, such music! Would... would you like to hear some now?" Mr. Tummus asks her.

"Oh! Yes please." She replies.

Mr. Tummus gets his flute out. "Now, are you familiar with any Narnia lullabies?"

"Sorry, no." Lucy says shaking her head.

"Well, that's good. Because this… probably won't sound anything like one." He says making me laugh before he begins to play.

Lucy and I turn our attention to the fire where the Narinas come to life and are dancing in the around a fire and I begin to fall asleep just watching them and listening to the sound of the music. Lucy falls asleep on top of me first and I can't keep my eyes open any longer no matter how hard I try and fall asleep too.

A little later I wake up and see the sun has set. The last thing I remember is falling asleep to the lullaby which is strange since I haven't fallen asleep during one of those since I was a baby. I feel Lucy's weight on me lessen as she sits up groggily and I follow suit.

"Oh, I should go." Lucy says

"It's too late for that now. I'm such a terrible faun." Mr. Tummus says from the corner. I look at him confused.

"Oh, no. You're the nicest faun I've ever met." Lucy says .

"Then I'm afraid you've had a very poor sampling." He says

"No. You can't have done anything that bad." Lucy says confused but I've caught on.

"Mr. Tummus..."I growl out. "What did you do..?"

"It's not something I have done, Lucy Pevensie. It's something I am doing. I am so sorry Aurora."

"What are you doing?" Lucy asks him.

"I'm kidnapping you...It was the White Witch. She's the one who makes it always winter, always cold. She gave orders. If any of us ever find a human wandering in the woods, we're supposed to turn it over to her! If we ever see you Aurora we have to give you up as well!" Mr. Tummus exclaims.

"But, Mr. Tumnus, you wouldn't. I thought you were our friend." Lucy says gripping on my neck.

"You know I would never let that happen." I growl out.

He looks at me wearingly before nodding his head seeming to have a change of heart.

"Now. She may already know you're here. The woods are full of her spies. Even some of the trees are on her side!" Mr. Tummus tells Lucy as we quickly run to the light of the Lamp post.

"Can you find your way back from here?" Tummus asks Lucy.

"I'll take her the rest of the way." I tell him.

He nods in reply.

"And Mr. Tummus.." I tell him.

"Yes?" He asks

"Thank you." I say nodding my head a little.

"You don't have to Aurora." Lucy tells me.

I laugh a little." Yes I do. It's my job Lucy."

"Oh." Is all she says

"Will you be alright?" Lucy asks directing the question at Mr. Tummus.

Mr. Tummus laughs nervously and Lucy comforts him."Hey... hey... hey."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Here." Mr. Tummus says trying to give Lucy back her handkerchief.

"Keep it. You need it more than I do." Lucy says pushing it back to him.

Mr. Tummus laughs, and touches Lucy's nose. "No matter what happens, Lucy Pevensie, I am glad to have met you. You've made me feel warmer than I've felt in a hundred years. Now go. Go!"

Lucy and I run off run off to her home of War Drobe. Before we go in Lucy stops and gives me a hug.

"I hope to see you again Aurora." She says.

"I know you will." I say smiling at her then she runs off back into the wardrobe. I watch her leave before I walk off towards the Beavers Dam to tell them off this wonderful news.