Status: in progress

The Great Cat's Daughter

Chapter 4

We were looking upon the castle gates a few more seconds before we watched the wolves come running out if the castle.

We all burst through the little door at top speed.

"Hurry, Mama! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver says to Mrs. Beaver.

"Oh, right then..." She replies dashing around grabbing things from various cupboards.

"What's she doing?" Peter asks.

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry." She replies.

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver tells us.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asks

"Only if the Witch serves toast." Peter answers her sarcastically.

We all gasp as the wolves start attacking the dam.

"Hurry! Through here!" Mr. Beaver says opening up a hidden tunnel.

"Badger and I dug this. Comes out right near his place." Mr. Beaver says to us as he leads us through.

"You told me it led to your mum's!" Mrs. Beaver says annoyed with him.

Lucy trips on a root in front of me. I grab her before she falls all the way were quite for a moment and howling can be heard.

"They're in the tunnel." Lucy whispers

"Quick! This way." Mr. Beaver says.

"Hurry!" Mrs. Beaver says.

"Run!" Peter says

"Quick! Quick! Quick!" Mr. Beaver repeats.

We continued to run further but we come to a dead end.

"You should have brought a map!" I say to him.

"There wasn't room next to the jam!" Mr. Beaver says as we turn around and find the right way to the exit.

He jumps up and into the hole. Everyone else follows him with me last.

"Lucy!" Susan yells.

Lucy backs away as the others emerge; she trips and falls flat on her back. I go over and help her back up. Out of the corner of my eye I see Peter and Mr. Beaver roll a barrel in front of the hole, Mr. Beaver turns and his face drops when he sees what Lucy tripped over. I look down and see little woodland creatures turned to stone. I wished that I had magic as strong as my fathers and I could bring them back to life but I couldn't, I look up and notice Mr. Beaver walking up to a stone Badger and touches its paw.

"I'm so sorry, dear" Mrs. Beaver says putting a hand on his shoulder.

"He was my best mate." He tells us sadly.

"What happened here?" Peter asks looking around.

A fox the appears on a little ledge above the Badger hole. "This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch."

I push Lucy behind me wary of the newcomer.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" Mr. Beaver says walking up to the Fox.

"Relax. I'm one of the good guys" The Fox tells him.

"Yeah? Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones." Mr. Beaver says.

"An unfortunate family resemblance..." The fix says seeming annoyed by the fact. "But we can argue breeding later. Right now we've got to move." The Fox says.

"What did you have in mind?" Peter asks him.

The fox looks towards a tall tree where we all quickly scramble towards it. I lifted Mr. and Mrs. Beaver up first where they sat on a branch together. Then I helped Susan and Peter as much as they needed and pushed Lucy up to them where they all sat on a branch bellow the Beavers. Fox started to use his tail to cover our tracks. I jumped up from the ground and changed into an eagle mid jump flying up beside Lucy. Not a second later the Wolves burst out of the barreled up hole and encircle the Fox who was in the process of covering the tracks with his tail before they came.

"Greetings, gents. Lost something, have we?" Mr. Fox says.

"Don't patronize me! I know where your allegiance lies. We're Looking for some humans." Magrum says circling him.

Fox laughs a little."Humans? Here in Narnia? That's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?"

One of the other wolves pounces on the fox and grabs him harshly in his jaws.

Maugrum walks right up to him. "Your reward is your life. It's not much, but still. Where were the fugitives?"

The Fox hangs his head in shame and points with a paw "North. They ran north."

"Smell them out." Magrum orders.

The wolf that had his jaws around Fox casts him aside and runs off. Fox lies still on the ground. I flew down from my spot on the tree and turned back to human form as I touched down kneeling beside him.

We all sit around the fire outside badger's house. The Fox yelps as Mrs. Beaver attempts to sort out his wounds.

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did. Ow! Oh!" The Fox tells us before crying out in pain. Making me wince.

"Are you all right?" Lucy asks from beside me.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite. Ow!"

"Stop squirming! You're worse than Beaver on bath day." Mrs. Beaver scolds him.

"Worst day of the year." Mr. Beaver jokes making us laugh.

"Thank you for your kindness, but that's all the cure I have time for." The Fox says standing up.

"You're leaving?" Lucy asks sadly.

"It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops." The Fox answers her obviously proud.

"You've seen Aslan?" Mr. Beaver asks him.

"What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver asks.

"Like everything we've ever heard. But the princess here could tell you all about him, he is her father." The Fox says gesturing to me then turning back to the children who are staring at me."You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch" He says turning to go.

"Wait." I say standing up

I walked over to him with a little hesitating but since they already know one of my secrets my aswell not hold back now.

I kneel down beside Mr. Fox and take off the bandages dropping them down to the snow then I put my hand softly against his wound and close my eyes. I search inside myself for the warmth of my magic and bring it forth sending it mostly to my hand and heal his wounds as my whole body begins to glow in a white light for a few moments before it goes away and I open my eyes to see the wound has healed.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I will never forget your kindness." He says bowing to me then running off

I turned around and watch as Mr. and Mrs. Beaver bow to me too and the amazed looks on the pevensie children's faces.

"Stop. Please don't. It's still me just Aurora. I didn't tell you who I really am not because I didn't trust you but because if I told you would be in danger if the queen ever found out you even knew me." I say to them sadly.

"We understand. You're Majest- Aurora." Mrs. Beaver says waving me over to her. I smiled at them then we all lay down onto the ground and went to sleep.

We came over to a hill and stopped looking across at the beautiful view of the world.

"Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river." Mr. Beaver says.

"River?" Peter asks.

"Oh, the river's been frozen solid for a hundred years." Mrs. Beaver informs him.

"It's so far!" Lucy says from where she's holding my hand.

"It's the world, dear. Did you expect it to be small?" Mrs. Beaver asks.

"Smaller." Susan replies.

On our way to the river we were walking across the huge frozen lake.

"Come on, humans! While we're still young." Mr. Beaver calls over his shoulder.

Peter bends down to give Lucy a piggy back ride. "If he tells us to hurry one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat." Peter jokes.

"Hurry up! Come on!" Mr. Beaver yells again.

"He is getting a little bossy!" Lucy says.

"No! Behind you! It's her!" Mrs. Beaver says as we all start running. I look behind me and can see the faint outline of a sleigh coming up from behind.

We all flee across the lake and into the woods as the sleigh gains behind us. We dive down into a little cave and go very still, watching the shadow on the mound of snow in front of us. Snow starts to drop down as someone moves about over us and walks away.

"Maybe she's gone." Lucy says quietly.

"I suppose I'll go look." Peter says starting to move but I put my arm out in front of him.

"No!" Mr. Beaver says climbing out. "You're worth nothing to Narnia dead!"

"Well, neither are you, Beaver." Mrs. Beaver says to him.

"Thanks sweetheart!" Mr. Beaver says holding her paw before he scrambles up top while we all wait nervously.

Mr. Beavers suddenly pops his head down. Lucy screams and everyone else gasps.

"Come out! Come out! I hope you've all been good 'cause there's someone here to see ya!" Mr. Beaver says.

We all look at each other curiously before emerging and seeing Father Christmas who laughs happily to us. Lucy walks towards him.

"Nick!" I say running up and hugging him.

"Hello Aurora." He says hugging me back until I step back in line with the others.

"Merry Christmas, sir." Lucy says happily.

"It certainly is, Lucy, since you have arrived."

"Look, I've put up with a lot since I got here, but this..." Susan says

"We thought you were the Witch." Peter explains to him.

"Yes, yes, I'm sorry about that, but in my defense, I have been driving one of these longer than the Witch." He replies patting his sleigh.

"I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia." Susan asks him.

"No. Not for a long time. But the hope that you have brought, your Majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still, I dare say you could do with These." He answers before reaching into his sleigh and pulling out a huge brown sack.

"Presents!" Lucy exclaims running up to him.

He reaches into his bag and presents her with a cordial. "The juice of the fire-flower. One drop will cure any injury. And though I hope you never have to use it... "He says giving her a dagger.

"Thank you, sir, but I think I could be brave enough." Lucy says carefully taking them from his hands.

"I'm sure you could. But battles are ugly affairs. Susan." He says as she steps forwards and he hands her a bow and a quiver of arrows. "Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss."

"What happened to "battles are ugly affairs"?" Susan jokes.

"Though you don't seem to have a problem making yourself heard." He says presenting her with an ivory horn. "Blow on this horn and wherever you are, help will come."

"Thanks." She says stepping back.

I step forwards now. He presents me with the most beautiful bow I have ever seen paired with a leather quiver filled with white feathered arrows." Although the bow you have now is just fine. I am positive this will serve you better." He says to me. I look upon them in amazement then I strap them onto my back beside my other one.

http://www.boutique-gn.com/images/armes/jet/arc-elfique.jpg

Then he passes me two swords inside scabbards connected to a belt. "I trust you know how to use these, however no matter how much you use them they will never need to be sharpened. "He says stepping back as I pull a one out to reveal a silver sword with gold engraving. I put it back in and look at the other one which is the exact same. I marvel at them both happy with these wonderful gifts.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6582/uc1298.jpg

"Thank you so much." I say as I step back and Peter steps forward while I put the belt around my waist then look up to see what Peter receives.

Father Christmas gives him a bright silver shield and a sword in its scabbard. Peter draws the sword out.

"Peter. The time to use these may be near at hand." Father Christmas tells him.

"Thank you, sir." Peter says putting the sword back into its scabbard.

"These are tools, not toys. Bear them well and wisely. Now, I must be off. Winter is almost over, and things do pile up when you've been gone a hundred years. Long

Live Aslan!" He says climbing into his sleigh. "And Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas!" We yell after him.

"Told you he was real." Lucy says smugly.

"He said winter was almost over. You know what that means. No more ice." I explain seeing their confused faces.