Status: in progress

The Great Cat's Daughter

Chapter 5

We finally reached the river after a few more hours of walking. We stopped at the top of the bank and looked down at the river. The ice was melting off and where we could still walk it was breaking off into chunks of ice and floating away on the fast current. Above it, there is a frozen waterfall looming on our left. I waited for Peter to get half way down then slowly followed while I held Lucy's hand and help her make our way down.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter shouts at his sibling once we have all made it down.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asks turning to the beavers.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver replies.

"Come on!" Peter says going forwards I would have gone first but Lucy's tight grip on my arm wouldn't let me.

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" Susan says pulling Peter back.

"We don't have a minute." Peter snaps back at her.

"I'm just trying to be realistic." Susan replies.

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual." Peter says as Susan looks like she might stay but the sound of howling in the distance seems to change her mind.

Peter puts a foot on the ice and water spurts up from underneath.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first."Mr. Beaver says walking forwards

"Maybe you should." Peter agrees.

We watch as Mr. Beaver tests out the ice with his feet and tail, trying to find the strongest passage for us

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver scolds him as the ice cracks.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking." Mr. Beaver replies.

We slowly start to follow Mr. Beaver across the ice

"If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan says.

"Mum's not here." Peter yells back at her.

"Oh, no!" Lucy yells grabbing around my waist tighter. I look to where she's looking and see the wolves running across the top of the frozen waterfall to the

other side of the river.

"Run!" Peter yells in front of me.

"Hurry!"

The wolves leap in front on us landing on the frozen river. We all turned around and see they have trapped us with rest of the wolves. Mr. Beaver tries to threaten one but is pounced on and pinned to the ice.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver yells.

"Peter!" Lucy yells gripping me arm even tighter if it's possible so I cannot move, looks like it's up to Peter who I see now who has drawn his sword.

"Put that down, boy. Someone could get hurt." Magrum taunts him.

"Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr. Beaver yells.

"Leave now while you can, and your brother goes with you." Magrum says even though I know he is lying.

"Stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan yells at him.

"Smart girl." Magrum says. more like stupid girl.

"Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Mr. Beaver yells.

"He's lying Peter!" I yell earning a growl from Magrum.

"Oh, come on. This isn't your war. All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go. The princess will have to come with us though." Magrum says continuing to lie, well half lie.

"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan yells at Peter, I turn and glare at her. Father Christmas was wearing a brown coat anyways.

"No, Peter! Narnia needs ya! Gut him while you still have a chance!" Mr. Beaver yells from underneath the wolf.

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river." Magrum says looking up.

"Peter!" Lucy yells looking up at the cracking waterfall with me.

Peter now noticing the waterfall is starting to crack too yells." Hold onto me!" Before stabbing his sword into the ice.

We all grab a hold of Peter I go in the middle beside Susan with Lucy on my right. The waterfall plunges down and sweeps us away Lucy grabs to me but starts slipping away pulled by the current. I push-off and swim after her as she is pulled under the rapids to the bottom by the strong current. When I reach her I grab her putting my arms around her and jump off the river bed and out into the open where we both take big gulps of much-needed air. I spot a branch that is sticking out from a tree seemingly made for this type of situation. I reach my arm up and grab a hold of it as we pass and ith a sudden burst of adrenaline pull myself and Lucy to the rivers shore. I sigh in relief resting for a second then stand up helping Lucy stand as well.

"Oh! Thank you so much Aurora." She says hugging me tightly.

I returned the hug. "It's not a problem Lucy. Come your brother and sister must be worried." I say letting go of her and grabbing her hand while we walk into the forest.

"Lucy! Aurora! Lucy!" We hear yelling coming from our left so we walk towards it.

"Has anyone seen my coat?" Lucy asks shivering slightly.

"Don't you worry, dear? Your brother's got you well looked after." Mr. Beaver says to her as they all let out sighs in relief at seeing us.

Peter and Susan both mouth thank you to me and I nod my head in return.

"And I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore." Mrs. Beaver says as we look upon the melting forest. I spotted a pink blossom and smiled happily.

We were entering Aslan's camp and I could barley contain my excitement. I had changed back into my lion form to greet my Father. As we were walking past a tree a dryad formed and waved to us, Lucy waved back as we continued to follow the others entering the camp.

All the different people we passed all stopped what they were doing as we passed through the camp to stare at us.

"Why are they all staring at us?" Susan whispers.

"Maybe they think you look funny." Lucy says back giggling.

We came to a stop in front of an official looking tent where a centaur stood guard. Peter pulls out his sword and holds it out in front of him pointing to the sky.

"We have come to see Aslan." Peter says to the centaur.

We all turn to the tent as the fabrics used for the doors flap in the breeze and we all bow as much as some of our bodies will allow as my father Aslan comes out from the tent and the children kneel as well.

"Welcome, Peter, Son of Adam. Welcome, Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve. My Daughter Aurora welcome and welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks. But where is the fourth?" He asks stopping in front of us.

"That's why we're here, sir. We need your help."Peter says to him as they stand up.

"We had a little trouble along the way." Susan admits.

"Our brother's been captured by the White Witch." Peter explained to him as I hung my head in shame.

"Captured? How could this happen?" My father asked while even without looking I could feel his gaze on me.

"He betrayed them, Your Majesty." Mr. Beaver says to him.

"Then he has betrayed us all!" The centaur yells.

"Peace, Oreius. I'm sure there's an explanation." My father says looking at the centaur.

"It's my fault. I should have watched him more closely." I admit looking up to my father with a face filled with my guilt.

"It's my fault, really. I was too hard on him." Peter admits looking at me then back to my Father.

"We all were." Susan says sighing.

"Sir, he's our brother." Lucy says.

"I know, dear one. But that only makes the betrayal all the worse. This may be harder than you think." My father tells her sadly.

Afterwards the Pevensie children left to change their clothing and get settled and the soldiers all dispersed to go back to their duty's and my father and I go to a hill-top. The very same one where he told me of my destiny a hundred years ago.

"I'm sorry, Father. I tried to protect them all and I could not do so." I say turning away from him.

I felt his paw on my back making me look up at him.

"You could never fail me dear one." He said smiling. "You could not have stopped Edmund from going to the witch, he made his choice and there was no changing it."

I smiled back at him." I have missed you so much Father."

"I have missed you as well more than you could imagine." He replies nudging me with his head affectionately.

I was about to reply when I heard a throat clearing. We both turned and saw Peter standing there. My father beckoned him closer, Peter obeyed and came to stand beside us where we looked across out to the castle.

"That is Cair Paravel, the castle of the four thrones. In one of which you will sit, Peter, as High King." My Father tells him as we look at the palace.

When Peter does not answer. "You doubt the prophecy?" Father asks him.

"No. That's just it. Aslan, I'm not what you all think I am." He replied hanging his head.

"Peter Pevensie, formerly of Finchley. Beaver also mentioned you planned on turning him into a hat." My father says making us both chuckle."Peter, there is a Deep Magic, more powerful than any of us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right from wrong, and governs all our destinies. Yours, Auroras... and mine." Father explains in a much more quick way than he did for me.

"But I couldn't even protect my own family." Peter says looking at us sadly.

"You've brought them safely this far." My Father replies.

"Not all of them." Peter says looking away.

"Peter, I will do what I can to help your brother, but I need you to consider what I ask of you. I, too, want my family safe." Father says looking at me and then out to the camp.

A few moments later Susan's horn sounds.

"Susan!" Peter yells running in her direction with My father and I behind him.

Peter charged across the river brandishing his sword at the wolves.

My father and a small group of soldiers came a moment later I pinned the second wolf to the ground digging my claws into its skin.

"No! Stay your weapons. This is Peter's battle." Father told the soldiers who were about to step in.

"You may think you're a king, but you're going to die... ...like a dog!" Magrum says jumping at Peter

"Look out!" Susan yelled.

Peter and Maugrum both fell to the ground.

"Peter!" Lucy and Susan yelled leaping to the ground. They push the wolf away to show a fine but shaken up Peter whom they both hug. I released the wolf that I was digging my claws into with a nod from my father I watched as it scrambled away from us.

"After him. He'll lead you to Edmund." Father says to Oreius as he nods then with the soldiers charges off after the wolf.

"Peter. Clean your sword." Father say.s

After Peter cleaned his sword in the stream he placed it in the grass and my father moved his paw from one shoulder to the next before removing it while saying. "Rise, Sir Peter Wolf's-Bane, Knight of Narnia."

I gave Peter a big Smile along with his sisters while he smiled in return to us.