Status: New story again.

Love Lost

Chapter six

"Here you go, ma'am. Would you like any sauce with that?"

I bite my lip in thought as I accept my food graciously. "Yeah, can I get honey mustard and ketchup, actually?"

"Of course!" the women at the drive-through window says as she smiles and hands me a generous amount of sauce packets. "You have a good day, now!"

I thank her once more before putting up my window as I drive away and return to the highway.

It has been about 2 days since I left Denton and it's been nothing but crazy. After I packed all of my things, I had to stuff the crap out of my black 1980 Saab 900, and quite emotionally, might I add. Not to mention, Castiel didn't bother to lift a finger to help me- he just stood back and watched with that same thoughtful look on his face.

I then drove to the bank that was about to close but I managed to catch the final employee in time to take care of business there. Afterwards, I went to the first hotel out of the city and had to explain everything to my parents, excluding the supernatural bits, over the phone which wasn't very fun. I had to lie and say that I was taking a trip to get my mind off of things. Then I slept for about an hour and at 8 o'clock the next morning, I repeated the phone call process to sort things out with my apartment landlord, my boss, and my school's attendance office, though my parents mostly took care of that.

All in all, it's been a pretty crappy past few days. I think the most difficult was having to call the police while driving out to the bank and giving the most bullshit story of how Lydia died. It was quite a messy telling but they did not question it and that's all that matters. However the operator on the phone told me to call Lydia's parents to inform them of the happenings and that... it was almost as bad as seeing Lydia's lifeless body. I had to pull over just to get out my intense emotions.

But now, I don't get the painful urge to cry anymore. I did that for an entire night and then some and now I feel empty of anything. I can fake happiness alright, but people have noticed the hurt in my eyes, the tragedy. I wish it weren't so, I wish I could pick myself back up and return to a normal way of life, but I can't. Not yet. The images of her faded blue eyes and limp, frail body have been seared into my brain.

"Ugh," I moan in distaste at the memory as I shove a waffle fry in my mouth. Tears prick at my baggy, blood-shot and red-rimmed eyes, threatening to fall, but they don't. Not anymore.

I glance at the map laid out on the passenger seat beside me and see that I am only about 30 minutes away from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where Bobby Singer lives. All I know is that he's close to Sam and Dean and they're with him now- at least that's what Castiel told me after he creepily appeared in my hotel room and watched me cry for 10 minutes.

For the remaining time of the drive, I finish eating my lunch and mentally prepare myself for what I am about to get myself into. I can already guess that this is going to be a load of hot, steamy crap but as long as I don't have to deal with Dean's snarky asshole self, I will be somewhat content.

-

"They are waiting," Castiel says as he leads me rather hurriedly to the front door of Bobby's house.

The place is... different than what I expected, to say in the least. I'm not sure what expectations I had in the first place but it sure wasn't a rundown salvage yard ripping at the seams. I follow Castiel to the porch as I pocket my phone and briefly fix myself. I feel the angel's piercing gaze and turn my head with a raised eyebrow.

"What?" I snap, instinctively assuming judgement on his behalf.

"Why are you doing that?" he asks, deeply confused, with his eyebrows knitted tightly together and head tilted.

"Doing what?"

"Adjusting your appearance for the approvals of others who are not superior nor below you? They do not need to determine their judgement of your character based on outward features."

I give him a strange look, but before I can think to reply, he opens the creaky front door to the house and strides right in.

"Ugh, shouldn't we kn-"

A gun cocks.

"...-ock?"

"Dammit, Castiel! You don't just walk in whenever you please! There's a doorbell for a damn reason!" a bearded, older man with a worn hat and flannel button-up, who I assume to be Bobby himself, growls at the angel. Then he turns to me. "You must be Elena, I'm Bobby Singer. Pleasure."

He holds his hand out to which I smile politely and shake. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Hey Bobby, you got any more cases? We're runnin' out of fuel!"

I tilt my head around Bobby's tall figure to see none other than Dean Winchester approaching us with an almost empty beer bottle. He hasn't changed much since I last saw him. He still has the same tousled dirty blonde hair, bright green eyes, and give 'em hell attitude. I silently admire how great he looks in flannel before mentally kicking myself. No, not him, and not now of all times.

"You like what you see, sweetheart?"

I shoot my eyes up to meet his condescending gaze.

"Excuse me?" I say defensively.

"You might wanna watch where your eyes linger next time, that's all..." he responds cheekily.

"Alright, alright, that's enough you two. De- actually, Sam, help Elena get situated, would ya?"

Dean cuts his eyes at Bobby with accusation. "What's wrong with me doin' it?"

"I'm not even gonna answer that," grumbles the older hunter as he retreats into his study.

I smile genuinely for the first time in a few days. I can already tell that Sam and Dean have a very close relationship with Bobby.

"Hey Elena, how've you been?"

I look up, like way up, to see Sam standing in front of us with a kind smile on his face. However his eyes read differently- they are clouded with concern and sympathy. He knows. Castiel must have told them what happened.

"I'm fine. C'mon, my car's right out front."

-

"Okay, Nate, chill out. I know. Tell mom I'm fine, I'm at a hotel right now..." I pause to listen to my younger brother relay our mom's words of worry and scolding. "Alright, well tell her I'll call her tonight. I gotta go, I'm making food. Bye, love you!"

And with that, I hang up the phone call and shove my phone in my back pocket. It's been 4 hours since I arrived at Bobby's place and my mom has called me at least 10 times to 'check up on me'. In other words, cry about how much she's scared for my safety and rash decisions I could make in emotional distress. I don't like lying to my family, in fact I hate it, but what am I supposed to do? Tell them I'm staying with 3 grown men, whom I barely know, for whatever reason? Let's just say it's going to stay a secret for a while.

"Holy crap it smells awesome in here," Dean sighs as he enters the kitchen to shuffle around in the fridge for food. "What are you makin'?"

"Jalapeno and cheddar stuffed hamburgers and barbeque corn with spicy butter and lime. It'll be ready in about 30 minutes so wash up soon," I say as I begin to prepare the corn. I don't get a response from Dean so I assume that he left. However once I turn around to get something from the fridge, I nearly bump into his gaping self.

"What?" I ask, exhaling deeply in surprise.

"Wh-... you... Oh please tell me there's pie."

I quirk an eyebrow with a slight crooked smile. "Key lime pie. Homemade. Now go and leave me alone! You're stalling precious cooking time."

Right then I fight the urge not to laugh but it can't be done. Dean looks as if he's about to cry as he pulls me into a hug and passionately holds me for a short period of time. I feel butterflies erupt in the pit of my stomach and refrain myself from wrapping my arms around his waist. However, to my pathetic dismay, he soon lets me go and exits the kitchen, but not before pumping his fist in victory on his way out.

"He's in a good mood," I chuckle as Sam comes entering the kitchen.

"Yeah..." he replies awkwardly.

I giggle and glance up to see that he's trying to desperately fix something on his laptop. I, without a doubt, find Sam to be quite attractive, but not in the same exact context as I do with Dean. Sam is... he's just so cute. He may be freakishly tall and muscular but he's baby-faced and I can't help but want to hug him every time I see him. Especially when he looks so disgruntled, like now.

"Need some help there?"

"No! No, I can fix it... thanks."

Then it hits me. "It's nothing to be ashamed of, Sam, everyone gets their urges every once and a while. It's actually a very healthy activity th-"

"What!? No! Ugh, dammit, Dean," the younger Winchester groans before falling into one of the chairs at the table by the window.

"Oh... that uh... explains his joyful mood..." I mumble with discomfort.

"Yep."

-

When we finish eating dinner, I have to literally run from Dean to get away from his touchy affection. Sam explains to me that Dean had already been having a great day so to have an extravagant homemade meal with pie at the end of the day was enough to push him over the edge. Apparently all they ever eat is crappy take-out food or what Bobby makes practically everyday- canned chili. When he told me that, I was immediately grateful that I decided to go shopping for two weeks worth of food as a thank you gift for Bobby for allowing me to stay under his roof.

While I am getting ready for an early night in, I hear a new voice added to the conversation downstairs and instantly recognize it to be Castiel. Their voices become hushed and secretive, which compels me to sneak to the stairs and eavesdrop, but I decide against it for I can barely keep my eyes open. Quickly, I change into some comfortable pajamas and crawl into bed, wrapping my blankets from home tightly around myself as sleep immediately takes over me.

-

"Where is she?"

"Jesus Christ!" Dean exclaims in surprise at the angel's sudden appearance. "She's asleep, man. There's a door for a reason, ya know."

Castiel looks at him oddly. "Good. Everything has been taken care of in Denton but I have one question... Will you be taking Elena with you on hunts or will she stay here?"

"We've actually been thinking about that and honestly, our best bet is to just leave her here unless something happens and she must come with us," answers Sam from across the room.

"He's right, we can't afford to risk her life bringin' her with us. Too sketchy. You okay with a little company, Bobby?" Deans says, nodding to the older man.

"Yeah, yeah. She's fine with bein' here. I'm more worried about her, though."

"Why's that?" chimes Sam.

"Because, she's had to find out she's involved in this apocalyptic bull, see her best friend fresh from murder, and leave her life behind to deal with you two idjits in less than 2 weeks. She ain't havin' no party here."

Dean, Sam, and Castiel remain quiet at Bobby's explanation. He is right, Elena has had to deal with a lot of overbearing events in a very short amount of time. The worst part of it? It's just the beginning. Who knows what is next for her. Demons could show up on Bobby's door step in 5 minutes, they could have her family held hostage next week... it is troubling for the 4 men to think about. They already have so much to deal with regarding Lilith and the seals- this psychic girl isn't exactly what they need at the moment.

"I have new information," begins Castiel, breaking the silence. "about Elena."

"What, did you and God have a cup of coffee again?" Dean snorts at the angel as he takes a swig from his beer.

"No. How can I drink human-made beverages with God if- never mind, that is not the point. I have talked with Joshua, however, and he has relayed a message to me from my father."

"Joshua... as in angel Joshua? The guy who apparently is the only one to talk to the big man?" Bobby adds in as he closes yet another useless book.

"Yes. He told me to 'watch for her dreams'. Nothing more."

Dean raises an eyebrow and leans against the room divider of Bobby's office and the kitchen. "Like those nightmares she had of me in Hell," he muses.

"Exactly. Her dreams appear to revolve around you, Dean, and will hold vital information for situations to come," Castiel says.

"Then I guess we wait and see until she starts getting those dreams again. She hasn't had them since... what, the night before we met her?" remarks Sam with a sigh.

"Yep. I'd love to stay up and gossip with you lovely ladies but I need some beauty sleep, so if you'll excuse me..." Dean takes one final gulp from his bottle before tossing it in the recycling bin and heading upstairs.

It is not long when Sam decides to do the same, leaving Bobby alone with Castiel.

"I guess it's just you and me, angel boy."

But he is nowhere to be found.

"Or not," the older man grumbles as he pours himself a shot of well-deserved whiskey.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope y'all liked it! Next chapter I'll be starting canon episodes so that's gonna be lovely. Comment, subscribe, and thanks for reading! :)