The Kaulitz Twins

six

I arrived to the dinner table and found Bill helping Mom bring out steaming plates full of food and set them down on the dinner table. Georg brought over some extra chairs for the twins to sit on, Tom was washing his hands, and Stacy was already sitting at the table.

Mom sat down at the table and looked all around the room before she asked, "Where is your Father?"

I smirked and said, "I'll get him." I side glanced at Tom to see him giving me a confused look and I smiled at him.

I walked over to the sliding glass door and pushed it open half way. Then I leaned my head out the door and shouted, "Dad! Dinner's on the table!" which caused a flurry of dogs to start wildly barking.

After the dogs calmed down, off in the nearby distance a male voice yelled back, "Coming!" and the dogs started up all over again.

I closed the door and sat down at the table with everyone else. Mom looked up at me and asked, "So what's the word?"

"He's coming." I answered.

Mom looked surprised for a moment and said, "That's the first time in two weeks."

"He must have gotten a lot of work down today." Georg mused.

Bill glanced between me, Mom, and Georg and quietly said, "...I don't understand."

I smiled, "It was Dad's idea to start the dog rescue. He believes the dogs come first and so if the chores aren't done before dinner then he stays out there until they are." I explained, "Usually he misses family dinner." I added quietly.

"Except for tonight?" Tom questioned.

I nodded, "Yeah. Thanks to you."

A few minutes later, Dad walked into the house and took his claimed and reserved spot at the head of the table.

My Father didn't exactly look like your average every-day father. He had tatted sleeves, meaning he had tattoos all up and down his arms, he also had a couple of tattoos on his neck and a half dozen on his back. He had many piercings including a ring on the lower lip, a ring on the left eyebrow, and plugs in both ears. He wore a lot of black tee shirts , muscle tees, baggy shorts, and skate shoes. He always kept his head shaved and usually had a pair of dark shades on to tie the whole look together.

He looked very much like and ex-con which wasn't exactly too far off base. My father has been on parol after spending 5 years in jail for not stopping when officers tried to pull him over for a routine traffic stop. He didn't stop because he was holding a friend's baggie of marijuanna and he didn't want to be caught with it.

Dad started to scarf down his food, but Mom loudly cleared her throat making him stop in mid-forkfull.

Dad set down his fork and looked up smiling sheepishly, "Hey gang, long time no see." he said.

Although Dad walked in, totally ignored everyone, and started to eat, I totally inderstood why. It's because when he usually eats, the rest of the family is already in bed. So he silently eats, quietly does his nightly routine, and then he goes to bed.

"It's nice to see you, Daddy." Stacy said in a sickly sweet tone.

Dad smiled at her, "It's nice to see you too, Kitten." he replied.

I almost rolled my eyes. Stacy is a total Daddy's girl. Sometimes she lays it on so thick it nearly makes me sic. But I do find it ironic that Dad calls her 'Kitten' when we have a dog rescue.

"So did you change up your schedule so you can start having dinner with us?" Georg questioned.

"No." Dad replied plainly.

"Then what's different, Daddy?" Stacy questioned.

"Well Kitten," Dad started, "Tonight I had twenty less dogs to take care of." He glanced over at Bill and Tom, "I checked out the work you two did outside. As long as you keep up the good work you two can stay as long as you'd like." he said.

Tom just nodded while Bill nodded and said, "Thank you sir."

"But remember this: Screw up once and you're gone." Dad said.

Everyone finished dinner at around the same time and I was about to go upstairs and finish my homework when Mom caught me.

"Blake, would you do the dishes tonight?" Mom asked. Even though Mom had asked me to do the dishes, it was more like a statement. She expected me to get up and do it without complaint.

Usually, I would have done them without complaint, but because of the unexpected trip back to the city and everything else that happened tonight I was at least two hours behind schedule.

"Uhh, actually I still have a bunch of homework to do." I said quietly.

Mom gave me a look so icy cold it sent shivers down my spine.

Before she could tell me to do the chore again, Stacy spoke up and said, "I'll do them, Mom."

Everyone stopped what they were doing and they looked at Stacy like she had grown two extra heads. Stacy never offers to do anyone else's chores...ever.

Secretly, I knew why Stacy was willing to do the dishes for me. She was banking on the fact that if she did my chore that I would owe her one.

The only question was am I going to remember that I owe her one? Probably not. Besides, as she sees it, I owe her dozens of things. Things I don't have time to pay her back for.

Dad smiled at Stacy, Alright Kitten, you can do the dishes tonight and I'll help you."

Stacy brightly smiled and said, "Thank you Daddy!"

"Hun, you don't have to do the dishes. You do so much around here already." Mom told Dad, nearly scolding him.

"Camilla, it's fine. As I said before, I didn't have to do twenty dog kennels. I still have energy left over. I might as well help my daughter with the dishes." Dad said.

Mom sighed, but at the same time smiled at Dad, "Whatever you say, Jack."

Stacy and Dad got up and began to pick up the dishes off the table. Stacy started with the leftovers and Dad picked up the dirty plates.

I picked up my half-full can of Coke Zero and walked upstairs to my room to continue working on my homework.

By the time I was finally done, it was just past midnight and I wnet straight to bed. I had to get as many hours of sleep as I possibly could because I had to get up in less than six hours.