He's Not What He Seems

Chapter Ten

I let out a soft moan as something wet and soft press against my forehead and neck.

“Shh,” a voice hushed.

Slowly I opened my eyes to find Adrian sat beside me pressing a damp flannel to my forehead and my neck every so often.

“What happened?” I asked my voice strained and hazy.

He shrugged and placed the wet flannel on the night stand. "One minute you was fine and then next minute you went down."

I watched as his eyes studdied my face for answers. I sighed and closed my eyes breifly.

"My ex boyfriend tried to kill me when I was seventeen," I blurted carmly.

Adrian stared at me confused, before his hand laced with mine.

"When I was seventeen, I had a boyfriend named Lee. One night he took me out, but he got to drunk, got angry for no reason and well . . ." I shrugged allowing him to finish it of his self.

"That would explain why you kept screaming 'please don't hurt me Lee," he said brushing a kiss across my nuckles.

I looked away ashemed. I felt so weak and frigile. I was nothing but a broken rag doll, unwanted and negleted.

Slowly the memories came flooding back and I felt tears brim at my eyes. A second later I felt Adrian's thumb brush under my eye where a tear slipped lose.

"Shh don't cry," he cooned.

I closed my eyes as I felf him stroke my hair, which eased away the worst of the memories.

“Why did you kiss me?” I asked randomly.

“Maybe because I love you,” he said without hesitation.

I rolled over to face him and propped myself up on my elbow.

“We’ve only just met a few days ago,” I laughed.

He shrugged and smiled; a smile which was laced with the slight touch of seduction.

“People always say loved worked in mysterious ways.”

I smiled once more before allowing myself to lie back down, my stare held on the celling.

“Yeah, you’re right,” I agreed softly.

Allowing my eyes to drift closed once more, I thought through the last few days. Ever since he left me standing that day, I felt a longing of some sort and when he kissed me, I realised that that longing was for him. Was it my heart testing me to my vow to never have a boyfriend again, or was that longing genuine?

I felt Adrian’s hand press against my forehead before pulling away; a second later I felt the flannel press to my skin.

“Are you okay?” Adrian asked his voice soft with concern. “You seem distracted.”

I opened my eyes and turned my head to face him. “I’m fine, I’m just thinking,” I reassured.

He smiled and placed the flannel back on the nightstand before he slowly lent down and pressed his lips to mine. A second later his phone chirped and he pulled away to answer. He answered and a second later he got up and left the room.

As he shut the door behind me, I quickly scrambled out of bed and into my bathroom, locking the door behind me.

Without thinking I called Lilly. She picked up on the second ring. Before I could even say hello she squealed giddily down the phone.

“Jeez Lilly, I don’t appreciate going death anytime soon,” I warned after she had calmed down.

“I’m sorry but you kissed a teacher, a hot teacher, in a dark and mysterious way,” she giggled.

I rolled my eyes and sat down on the edge of the bath.

“He’s twenty one,” I informed. “And plus I knew him before I knew he was becoming my science teacher.”

“I heard of Abby that he saved your life. You were found bleeding to death in the alley or something?”

I sighed sadly as the night flooded my mind. “Yeah.”

“I’m so sorry about happened to you, I’m glad you’re okay,” she whispered sadly.

“Hun you couldn’t have done anything about it,” I reassured. “Anyway I didn’t phone you to talk about Adrian, I -”

“Oh so that’s his name, oh la la,” she interrupted.

“Please stop doing that.”

“Sorry, but it’s cute. I mean come on he’s hot and he’s not much older, but no doubt you’re going to push him away because of what happened to you.”

Once more I felt tears brim at my eyes as the memories of what happened came flooding back. Down the phone I heard Lilly call out my name worryingly repeatedly.

“Sorry, was just thinking,” I sighed.

“I should be sorry I shouldn’t have mentioned it. Anyway enough of that, what did you phone for?”

“Something happened last night, something which has shaken me to the core.”

“What happened, you sound terrified?”

“Last night I was walking home from the hospital because I refused a ride from him because I only live a few blocks away, anyway like an idiot I decided to take a short cut down a side alley because there was a storm and I was absolutely freezing,” I took a deep breath before I continued once more.

“So I was walking down the alley when I got cornered by four men, so I ran up a fire escape, ended up getting caught, they got angry because I was the wrong person, was going to use me as bait because apparently they can ‘smell him’ on me and then the guy they were after came beat them all up and rescued me, but what was really weird he carried me and dived of one building to another all the way to my house, then I found out he was a . . .” I fell quite, I couldn’t tell her what this guy was, for all I knew It could have been a wild dream, she’ll think I’m insane.

“Okay so let me recap your crazy speech. Last night you were walking home and took a short cut, but because you did so, you got boxed in by four men who presumed you were someone else. So you tried escaping but got caught and when they realised you weren’t the right person, they tried to use you as bait because they claimed they could ‘smell him’ on you?”

“Yeah,” I laughed tightly. “It’s insane.”

“I’m not going to lie, yes, yes it does. Now continuing, you said that the guy they miss took you for turned up and beat them all up before taking you home.”

“Yeah.”

At the other end of the phone she fell quiet and the only sound which came from her was the sound of her finger tapping the phone.

“There’s just one thing I don’t get,” she mused.

“And that is?” I asked worried.

Oh god she’s going to think I’m insane.

“The part in which you said he carried you home and that he ‘dived’ from one building to another.” She sniggered lightly.

Thank god she didn’t ask me what I it was I found out about him.

“Lilly this isn’t funny; they could come after me again. He said he will make sure they wouldn’t, but what if they still do,” I said worryingly.

“Are sure it wasn’t just a wild dream?” she asked.

I sighed. “Lilly I swear it wasn’t a dream, it felt so real. His touch, his lips against my neck,” slowly I began to drift off course. “His weird yet amazing eyes, his . . .”

Down the phone Lilly called my name once more. “Earth to Rosalina, come in Rosalina. Are you drooling over him, because the way you’re drifting of like that, it really sounds like you’re falling for him and hard,” she laughed.

I shook my head. “I’m sorry what was you saying?” I asked.

“Are you drooling over this guy who save you last night?”

“Oh, ehm no, just thinking,” I reassured a bit too quickly.

At the other end I heard her gasp in shock before squealing. “O M G you have well just been drooling over him. Oh dear lord and you just kissed Adrian, you’ve fell in love with two guys, other one must be a total host stuff if he’s a total bad boy and your drooling over him.”

“I have not!” I yelped, but what if she was right? What if I was falling in love with an average guy and a vampire with similarities?

“I have to . . . I have to go,” I stammered. “I’ll see you at cheerleading later.”

“Okay, see you later.”

Before I could click the phone off, she made kissing sounds and ended the call.

“Lilly!” I shouted down the empty line.

I sighed and pushed myself up off the edge of the bath.

Standing before the mirror I stared at my reflection, before what stared back was not me, but a dead me. Behind me stood the leader from last night.

I spun around, my heart pounding against my chest to find no one there. I let out a nervous laugh; it was just my mind playing up.

Taking several deep breaths to compose myself, I left the bathroom only to walk straight into Adrian. He gripped my shoulders to steady me.

“Are you okay?” he asked his face filled with concern.

I nodded and allowed him to tip my chin up with one finger before he pressed his lips to mine lightly, before pulling away.

“I have to rain check on breakfast, I have business to attend to, but I promise I will make it up to you.”

I shook my head. “It’s okay you don’t need to make it up to me.”

He rested his fore head against mine and sighed. “No I will, I said I would and I will do tomorrow I promise.”

I laughed lightly, he was so persistent. “Fine,” I smiled.

“That’s my girl,” he grinned

I stepped back and put my hands on my hips. “Since when was I you’re girl?” I asked surprised.

He took a step closer and locked his arms firmly but lightly round my waist, as he murmured, “Since now.”

“But what if I don’t want to be your girl?” I asked sly.

His grin darkened as he pulled me closer to him. “Well then I will just have to convince you then wont I,” and with that he pressed his lips against mine, tilting me back slightly as he did so.

When he pulled away I felt my heart stammer and skip several beats, as it struggled to figure out what to do with itself.

“Was that convincing enough,” he asked sly.

I nodded in response, my mind a jumbled mess, every word gone with a kiss.

“Good. I’ll see you later,” he said as he titled me back up straight, before he disappeared.

I stood in my place, confused and slightly dazed at what just happened. Was I now his girlfriend? Did we really just kiss like that? Did I just break my vow just like that?