Everything We Had

One

Lanah: I love you
Trick: i love you too

Those very text messages haunted her every single night. Ever since he had gotten the courage to say it to her, with some encouragement from his band members of course, she couldn’t get him off her mind.

Patrick and Alanah were inseparable. Always texting each other. Emailing. Sending each other crazy instant messages over AOL instant messenger. They were never more than a few characters away from each other.

To: alanahatthedisco@gmail.com
From: patrickstumph@yahoo.com


You mean the world to me. In every single way. I can honestly say that I have never met another girl like you, and I don’t think I’d ever want to. You’re perfect.

A little birdie also said you were planning a wedding in Millennium Park in the winter. I’m not sure how I feel about the whole winter thing, but if it’s what you want, then we will do it. One day.

Love,

Trickster


----

“What’d he say!?” Alanah gushed, trying to contain her excitement, but clearly it wasn’t working if she was already jumping up and down as her roommate got off the phone with her boyfriend.

“Pete said they would be home in a few days and that they’re taking us out on a double date. Jeez. Can you calm down now?”

“Did you tell him I said yes?”

“Alanah,” Her roommate sighed, trying to calm the bubbly blonde down. “I think he already knew your answer was going to be a yes.”

A sound that was a cross between a squeal and a shriek came out of her mouth as she proceeded to run around the apartment the two shared, screaming about how excited she was for her man to come home.

As time went on, their relationship grew and evolved in to deeper, more meaningful conversations accompanied with more feelings towards one another.

The band toured longer, which meant less time for Alanah and Patrick to talk, but never the less the managed.

Eventually the band itself came crashing down, going in to twenty different directions and never getting a break. Pete and Alanah’s roommate had a relationship that failed and he had already found another woman whom he was engaged to.

The stress of the world revolving around Fall Out Boy had begun to take its toll on the two, causing them to send spiteful text messages instead of loving ones and lengthy, angry emails instead of the happy and cute ones.

Things were coming to an end right before their very eyes and they both knew it.

Patrick: I don’t even know why I wasted my time with you.

Alanah: You were my everything. How could you?

Patrick: People grow up Alanah. Love falls apart.

Alanah: That’s not true. You are just as immature as I am and we both know that! That’s why we were so good together!

Patrick: I need to go away for a while Alanah. I’m going to miss you like hell, but I think we both need a break from one another.

“I can’t…” Alanah cried. Her roommate rubbed small circles on her back as Alanah clung on to a pillow from her bed fro dear life.

“I know sweetie,” She cooed. “I know.”

“I loved him.”

---

After a while things seemed to have fixed themselves. Alanah no longer cared about what Patrick was doing with his life (or at least she put on the front that she didn’t care) and she was starting to let go of it all.

Though it wasn’t easy.

Her roommate had kept in touch with a her ex-boyfriend, sending a message or two wishing him a happy birthday, or a merry Christmas, or just saying a hello, attempting to remain friends with each other.

She never would mention it to Alanah though. She knew better than to break the poor girl’s heart again.

Eventually they had also stopped talking, ultimately cutting off all ties that they had with the boys.

The girls had moved on with their lives, becoming consumed with working two jobs to afford their apartment in the city and taking night classes at the college to get their degrees in various subjects. It was becoming pretty clear that they were going to do just fine on their own. Even Alanah.

Then the bombshell was dropped.

FALL OUT BOY ANNOUNCES REUNION WITH NEW CD, NEW TOUR, NEW BAND

“Oh. My. God.” Her roommate gasped, hiding the computer from Alanah.

“What? Who’s pregnant now?”

“Nothing,” She mumbled, closing out of the screen.

“No, it was something.”

“No it wasn’t.”

“Tell me!”

“I can’t.”

“Yes you can!”

She shook her head. “No, I can’t Alanah.”

Alanah gulped. “It has to do with him doesn’t it?”

Her roommate nodded.

“If I promise not to cry, could I know?”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

“Fall Out Boy is back together.”

She didn’t answer for a minute, sort of letting the news sink in, memories flooding back in to her mind.

“Well, good for them,” She replied, getting up off the couch to go out of the room.

“Are you okay?” Her roommate called after her, but she didn’t respond.

Instead, she closed her bedroom door and locked it, making damn sure that her roommate wouldn’t come in and bother her.

She stepped over to her closet, digging around in the darkness for a minute before retrieving a small box and pulling it out in to the light. Everything she had of his was inside this box, including the one thing she never ever wanted to get rid of or lose.

From the bottom of the cardboard box she pulled out a much smaller tiffany blue colored one, complete with a tiny silver bow. On the inside was a shiny, silver sparkling band, with a diamond center.

She was brought out of her daze by a chirping, accompanied by a buzz coming from the table beside her bed. Slowly standing up, she moved across the floor and grabbed her phone from her bed, almost in complete and utter shock when she saw the number that texted her, as well as the message.

+7089935621: I love you still Alanah.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.
For Alanah.