Guardian Angel

Punishment

You are not to talk to them.

And I didn’t. Or let me rephrase that, I didn’t mean too. It’s just so hard to walk behind them, pull them out of harms way…well with his case out of crazy girls way and not mutter a few swear words.

“Carrot.” Was the one I known for saying.

He was sitting in his home lying on the side of the bed, taking a deep breath, and humming a new song, I suppose. He was wearing a gray button up, with some faded jeans. I was sitting close behind him, like I always am. Close enough to smell his humanity, to feel the heat of his blood.

“Joe!” His mother called to him, his head popped up gently, some of his dark shaggy hair falling into his brown eyes.

“Coming,” He yelled back. Joe Jonas had always been a moderately obedient child, depending on what he was doing at the time. He stood up quickly, and then he took a step in front of him, a stray pen lying there. He stepped on it and my eyes went wide with fear as he started to fall forward.

“Carrot!” I yelled, in a panic. “Carrot! Carroty Carrot!” He fell to the ground, letting out a sickening thud. I wrinkled my nose and slid off the bed, rubbing the back of his head, “It will be okay, Joe. I swear.” His body froze gently, a normal human response when our kind touches them. The pressure change, I suppose, “Get up, Joe.” I whispered in his ear, “Your mother wants you.” I said that at the same time, she called back up the stairs.

“I heard her.” He said to himself, angrily. He pushed himself off of the cold hardwood and stood up, straitening his shirt. Joe turned around and looked straight at me, of course he couldn’t possibly see me, but the way his brown eyes looked into mine frightened me.

It wasn’t the first time I spoke to him.

They cannot see you

That was a lie. That was the biggest lie in the book. Humans had been seeing our kind for centuries, with the advances in their drugs and technology it was easy to see us, but…he didn’t see me. That made things easier though. Easier to watch him fall a sleep. Easier to put my head on his shoulder. Easier to protect and guard.
It was late one night, and he had fallen asleep at his computer, like usual. I decided that it would be all right for me to put him in his bed, it wouldn’t have been the first time, but I didn’t see the problem with it.
I picked up the slumbering Joe and set him in his bed, then moved a piece of his hair from his face, smiling at him. He opened his eyes gently, the brown hues that I could stare in forever.

“Who…are you?” He asked, I looked over my shoulder. The door was closed; I looked back at Joe and raised an eyebrow.

“You can’t see me.” I said laughing off that question. Joe sat up in his bed, his eyes narrowing on me.

“What do you mean, I can’t see you? Are you stupid? You are right there.” Suddenly, I found it hard to breath, and backed up from him.

“You can…see me?”

“Yeah.” He said simply, “Did you take anything.” I shook my head, “Alright, well leave before I call the cops.” I nodded and turned around walking to the door. Trying to stop my heart from pounding so loudly.
The next morning, he had decided it was a dream. The night he saw me, I decided he would decide it was a dream.

That was the first time he saw me.

Do not fall in love with them.

I remember looking at this rule and laughing. Why would I fall in love with my human? They could not reciprocate the feelings for me, so why would I fall in love with someone who can’t see, hear, touch, or smell me?
Then I remembered the first time I saw him. His smile, the way he walked. It wasn’t love at first sight, but it was carrot near close to it. I loved him, and I didn’t want to but I couldn’t stop myself.

Do not show yourself to the human.
Protect the human from all big harms.
It is not your job to make their prayers come true
Breaking one or more of this rules will result in punishment


I had broken all of the rules. Especially with protecting him from all big harms. It still makes my heart break thinking about it. Thinking about the blood…about the tears…about how he did not reach me. The punishment for breaking the rules is having your human be reborn and watch them die each time, and although one would think it would get easier watching them die, but it gets harder…and harder…and harder…

The councel sat there looking at me, after I had finished my story. Angels of all ages and colors sat listening. To take off the punishment, to let me go back to being a guardian. The head angel, a short little girl with curly black hair and dark eyes smiled at me,

“The councel has decided to free you from your punsishment…” Joy shot through my body, “If…you help Joe Jonas fall in love before the next time he dies.” The arrow was shot through my heart.

“Fall in love.” I heard myself say. “Fall in love?” I questioned. A heaver angel narrowed his eyes on me,

“Problem, Beatrix?” He asked me. I shook my head,

“No, Kealn. No problem at all.”

“Good,” He and the little angel said. She looked over her shoulder and turned back to me, “Now, Beatrix you understand what your job is.”

“Help him fall in love before the next time he dies.” I said closeing my eyes. That date will be burned in my heart forever. June 19th. The day my torture began.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first Jonas Brother's story, so cut me some slack, kay. There will be more, later...

Much Love

BB