You & I

Day Fifty-Three

"I'm sorry, but you're wrong Grace." Jackson shrugged, the slightest hint of a smile on his lips.

"I'll thank you to shut your mouth sir. Have you even seen Sharknado?"

"No, because I have better things to do with my time."

I glanced at the CD's in his hand. "You're re-stocking 'best of' CD's. I think there are far more better things you could be doing with your time - like watching Sharknado and agreeing that it has the best movie ending since Evil Dead II."

Jackson came over to where I was perched on the counter. "You're such an incredible geek." He brushed back the hair from my face and kissed me. "Now get off the counter and help me put this stuff away."

"When did you get so bossy?" I pouted, making no attempt to move. Jackson had his back to me now as he finished the re-stock. He had had been the one to bring me out of my weird mood, giving me something else to focus on besides my unrequited like for Chris. Anyway, I was over all that now. It had been a simple crush like I'd first assumed (the more I told myself this, the easier it was getting to believe). I was trying to stop over-thinking because that never helped me. Besides, it was easy to forget everything else around Jackson, he was straightforward and honest.

"What are you grinning about?"

I hadn't even realized I was smiling to myself until Jackson noticed.
"Oh, nothing." I hopped off the counter and took the CD's from his hand.

"Are you coming to watch the band play here tomorrow?"

"Wouldn't miss it. Tara and Zack are coming too." I said. "You know, I thought it was going to be a disaster if those two became friends but in a mad way they balance each other out."
-Or they tire each other out with their continuous pranks and around town adventures. "Zack's leaving on Thursday anyway."

"Some people..." Jackson let the words drift off and shook his head.

I put the last CD away and walked over to him. "Go on."

"It's nothing," he said absently, then gave a halfhearted sigh. "It's just that some people say guys and girls can't have platonic relationships without there being deeper feelings on at least one side."

"Bullshit." I said - and immediately felt some guilt brewing. If I said any more I would be a big fat hypocrite given my current predicament. "Wait, is that what you think? That the opposite sex can't be friends?"

Jackson sighed again, but smiled anyway. "I don't know. I used to, I guess. Then I met you and you're so easy to get along with I can understand why you have guy friends."

"You mean Chris?"

"Yeah." He answered hesitantly.

"Are you...jealous?" It even felt weird saying it.

For the first time Jackson avoided eye contact while he answered. "A little, and I know it's stupid-"
He was cut off by my lips on his. He had just been so downright adorable in that moment and my reaction had taken us both by surprise.

"I've never made someone jealous before, it's oddly liberating."

"And I've never been a jealous guy before."

Ok so that sounded an awful lot like an admission of how much he liked me. It did right?
His arms went around me and linked together loosely. This is one of those moments where you just have to stop thinking Grace.
Listening to that annoying voice for once, I rested my head against his chest and I realized then that I felt safe with Jackson, as though I could rely on him.

"Come over tonight, I'll cook dinner."

"Sounds good." I said. It did - until the idea settled in my head and I understood what he had in mind. See the thing was, Jackson and I hadn't actually slept together yet. I don't know, you might think that's crazy being that we're both consenting adults and whatnot. But remember that regardless of how much we'd been hanging out, we had only known each other a couple of weeks or so. Things between us had just progressed quicker than I would usually be comfortable with -aside from in the bedroom department. Actually, I hadn't had sex with anyone in quite a long time. I'm talking cobweb territory here.

Is it possible to forget what to do?

I started laughing to myself at the thought and Jackson pulled back a little so he could see my face. "You should write down all those random thoughts you have, it would make for an interesting read."

"I think it would just freak you out."

Jackson grinned. "Doubt it. I already know you're a complete weirdo."
♠ ♠ ♠
I think the next part will be in 3rd person following Chris. I'm not attempting to write from his point of view because I'll end up writing the male version of Grace and that'll make him really lame.

Image