You & I

Day One

My official job title is 2nd Hair & Make-up Assistant. If I were to write a job ad it would read something like;

Hair & Make-up assistant required for menial duties, which include but are not limited to - observing, observing, observing. Handing equipment and products to the senior stylist. Only offering creative input when asked. Taking coffee and lunch orders. Oh, and did I forget observing?

At seventeen I got my first job working part-time in a salon. I started working on the occasional photo-shoot at nineteen, and joined Ryan Coopers team at twenty-two. I'm now a fresh twenty-three and still an assistant - not even senior assistant. When I got the job with Cooper I believed it would be the start of something incredible. I still believe that, it's just hard to think positively about it when you work your ass off on every job, for a boss who only seems to register your existence when you're waving a skinny latte in his perfectly moisturized face.

Did I mention that Cooper's a session stylist? He's inundated with bookings for magazine shoots, film work, awards parties, etc etc. The latter being where I was that fateful evening. Backstage at a commercial movie awards ceremony, in charge of the final spray of lacquer before the celebrities went out to present awards.

Now you may be thinking that this is a glamorous job role. You may even be a touch envious. The reality being that it's hot and stuffy backstage, and the celebrity folk are often flustered, many nervous of going out in front of a large crowd (yep, even media darlings get stage fright) and hoping they don't miss their cue. They weren't in the mood to socialize, besides, it's not very professional to ask for autographs on the job.

I did my best to stay out of the way until needed. I've never been one for the spotlight anyway. That's why I wasn't even aware that someone was speaking to me, and when I finally did realize (because they placed a hand on my shoulder), I was slightly perturbed that someone had noticed me when I was doing my very best 'blending in with the scenery' impression. I looked up into generous baby blues.

"Sorry," he gave me an apologetic smile. "I was looking for..." He paused, having trouble remembering who it was he was looking for in the first place. "I mean, I thought you were someone else."

I knew who he was. Even before he donned the red, white and blue and graced the cover of Men's Health magazine. I read once that he thought he was a physical let down in the flesh, this was a million miles from the truth. His physical stance was just as impressive as you can imagine. He still had that warm cheeky smile and lips fuller than the regular man. Though the squeaky clean image had slipped and he'd lost the blond, clean shaved look for a natural dark haired appearance with stubble covering his jaw.

"Are you presenting an award?"

He nodded and took a deep breath, "I'm not a fan of crowds."
- Like I said, even celebrities get stage fright, and it's usually the ones you wouldn't expect. The people who appear so genuinely relaxed in any situation. I guess that's why they're actors.

"I don't think the whole 'imagine the audience naked' thing really works, but if I ever get overwhelmed I just think about a T-Rex trying to get back up after it's fallen over."

I'm still not sure why exactly I told him this. It's the kind of thing you only say to your friends who already know, and appreciate, the fact that you're a bit weird.

Then he laughed.
The contagious chuckle I had heard many times on screen but never in reality. He opened his mouth to say something, but he was called away, leaving me stood there with my trusty can of hairspray and a dumb expression.

That was the first time I met Chris Evans. And there were many times after when I wished I never had.