You & I

Day Nineteen

Only one person knew about my new friendship, and that was my best friend Tara. This is a girl I've known since I was fifteen and living in Australia. She still lives there. That will give you more insight into how ridiculous I am when it comes to building and maintaining relationships of any kind. The irony in my best friend in the entire world being thousands of miles away. We Skype every few of days, and email, and she's visited me twice. She's actually due for another trip over, this time to look in to moving here permanently.

A huge part of wished it had happened already, so we could live in the same area code, let alone the same damn continent. We would get a place together which would be dub-step free. Yet a small part of me, the malfunctioning part, was... anxious? I have a tendency to get irritated with people if I see them everyday and that's what made me anxious. Character flaw number 1001.

So, Tara may have been, and still is, my best friend, but I hadn't told her the true identity of my new friend. All I had told her was his occupation and given him the status of minor celebrity. I guess he had been minor, before he became the avenging super-soldier.

I think the main reason I hadn't said anything was because I was half expecting Chris to disappear from my life. Stop contacting me, stop sending me hilarious/idiotic texts at all hours of the day. Just vanish once he'd had enough of me and pretend we had never even crossed paths. This thought crossed my mind even as he sat next to me on the navy couch in my apartment.

This was the first time he had been here, and it was a rare occasion when the apartment was roommate free. Helen was on a date and Bobby was at a concert. For the past hour we had been watching Wayne's World. Which I had picked, not only for its comedic brilliance, but because it was absolutely free of hot and heavy sex scenes which I realized when trying to find something to watch from my movie collection, was featured in 95% of films at some point.

The buzzer signaled the pizza delivery. I scooped Fudge up off my lap and hopped off the couch to buzz them in. Fudge tumbled after me and I had to use my foot as a barricade to keep him back when I took the large pizza box off the skinny teenage boy who delivered it. Chris was at my side and paid the guy before I got the chance. I scowled at him as he closed the door.

"You are a guest in my home, meaning I provide the refreshments."

"Too bad I've already paid." He winked, opening the pizza box and stealing a slice.

I grabbed the ketchup from the kitchen and put the pizza down on the table in front before making myself comfortable on the couch. When I offered the ketchup to Chris he looked quizzically from the bottle, to me."Who do you know that puts ketchup on their pizza?"

"Loads of people."

"Well that's a lie because you don't know loads of people."

I glared at him. "Touche Evans, touche."

He rolled his eyes at me but couldn't hide the grin. "What movie do you want to watch after this?"

Looking at the movie collection I read out the title of the first 'appropriate' title that I came across.
"The Ring?"

Bad suggestion Grace, you have a fear of creepy ghost children.

Mass murderers I can handle, they are real, you can punch them in the face or kick them in the groin. Ghosts on the other hand, I don't feckin' think so. If we watched a film like The Ring (which was Bobby's DVD by the way), I would end up on Chris' lap, which would be worse than sitting through a sex scene while trying to avoid eye contact with him.

Why did he have to be so attractive? I was hoping my attraction to him would fade. Maybe I would even start to see him as a brother type?

...Yeah, that was never going to happen.

Chris picked up our empty beer bottles. He'd made this girl very happy when I discovered he had brought a six-pack with him. I'm talking about a case of beer here, not his ridiculous stomach.

"You want another beer?"

"Please."

He got up off the couch and headed for the kitchen where he'd . A convenient time for his cellphone to start ringing, vibrating on the table where he had left it. I was able to read the name Melody as it flashed up on the screen.

I had no clue who Melody was, so I called out to Chris to tell him someone was calling. He didn't ask who it was, but when he returned he checked the call list. A flicker of emotion came to his face, which I couldn't read it. Though the need to speak to Melody couldn't have been that important because he made no attempt to excuse himself and call her back, only putting the cell back where it had been.

"If I were in a life or death situation I would probably use sarcasm as my defense." I declared randomly, taking a huge bite of the pepperoni pizza slice in my hand. It made him forget whatever it was he was thinking about and he raised a brow.

"You use sarcasm in practically every situation."

"Damn, I have no comeback for that, you know me too well."
It was a flippant remark, but as soon as I had said it I knew it held some truth. It wasn't even three weeks since I had met him, yet he was figuring me out pretty quickly.

And that scared the hell out of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
pawnsinplay, this is specially for you because your reaction to the last one was hilarious;

Image