Break the Sky

Prologue

1941 was a year of great importance: World War II had begun, and the Allied powers purchased American firearms, fighter planes, and battleships for battle. In the United States, the New Deal created many jobs for the out-of-work American men all across the country before the war and did not have much impact on the economy. World War II created a booming business in America, having women work alongside Asians, African Americans, and even Mexican Americans. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, affectionately called FDR by the American people, was a supporter of the Allied Powers and worked around the Lend-Lease Program in order to help his friend, Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.

For the American people, World War II was a time away from the Great Depression, which had started in the October of 1929. Although Rosalyn was only five during this time, she had watched her father break open her piggy bank desperately for money. The lines to the soup kitchens ran for miles, children sold fags (cigarette ends) found in the streets, and men crowded around the gates, looking for work.

The year of 1941 was a big change. Men had jobs, the citizens were fed, and life went on. However, racism and discrimination were still eminent in the country. Nonwhites were still treated differently and worse than Caucasians. Japanese Americans, the Nisei, were sent to internment camps. White sailors beat Mexican Americans dressed in zoot-suits. Women were to submit to men at all times, even though they were now allowed to work for the government.

Rosalyn knew her place as Mr. Thomas Robert Clive's quiet and obedient daughter. With her mouth clamped shut, she waved goodbye to her brother and father as they went off to work. Mr. Clive and Darren drove off in the jet black Ford while Mrs. Clive laid a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Darling, school starts tomorrow," she stated, turning her lips into a smile. "Wonderful, isn't it?"

"...Will Darren be going as well?" Rosalyn hoped that her brother would be spared the unfortunate loss of an education. She hoped Darren would keep her company, along with Penelope, Rosalyn's best friend and next-door neighbor.

"Why, yes, darling," Mrs. Clive replied hesitantly, stepping away from the door. "I think with FDR around, the jobs will be plentiful. And this war." Her smile faltered. "It's doing great things for our economy."

"Mother." Rosalyn studied her mother's pose carefully. "You don't think..." She paused. "You don't think father would be out of a job, do you?"

"Planting trees and creating planes can last so long, Rose." Mrs. Clive sighed. "Let's not worry about this now. Besides, I'll be working too, dear. Tomorrow you shall be attending school again." She stroked her daughter's head. "I've ironed your skirt and pressed your shirt. Remember to wake up early, or you'll be late," her mother warned, wagging a finger in Rosalyn's face.

Rosalyn nodded. "I'll remember."