Break the Sky

Chapter 10

Graduation came nearer, and final exams came around. This was Alex, Jack, and Rose's last year of school, and they had to make it count. Jack would be studying to become a lawyer, but the other two would not be able to further their education.

Alex and Rose always walked home together, holding hands. Jack gave them their space, usually walking in front of them.

"The English exam wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be," Rose commented, smiling.

"I'm just glad exams are done with." Alex let out a big sigh of relief. "Now I can work full time." He was growing increasingly concerned with his family's financial problems. Alex's father was still having difficulty with his back, which meant Alex had to work in place of his father.

They stopped at Rose's house as Mrs. Clive returned home from buying a few things from the store. The boys exchanged goodbyes with Rose, going off in the direction of their own homes. "Rosalyn, what was the rule on boys?" Mrs. Clive snapped, opening the front door.

"They're my friends, mother." Rose rolled her eyes while her mother put away the groceries. "They're like brothers to me--"

"I saw you holding hands with one of them." Mrs. Clive placed the fruits in a basket. "What's going on between you and him?" She looked at her daughter in the eyes. "Now, Rose, I want you to tell me the truth."

Rose's expression was grim. She crossed her arms.

Mrs. Clive frowned. "Rose, I promise not to tell your father. I simply want to know what is going on."

"I'm in love with him," Rose blurted out. She turned around and went up to her room, satisfied by her summary of Alex and her.

}{

The sweltering summer heat made the workers sweat, and the children run inside. Mrs. Clive hung the laundry up to dry as Rose watched her ceiling intently. There was a knock on the door, and she took her time getting downstairs. She opened the door and gasped. "Alex, what are you doing--" Rose stopped herself. "Don't you have to work?"

"Just clocked out." Alex grinned, holding out a hand for Rose. "Would care to join me on a walk?"

"I would love to, but I must inform my mother first." She sprinted to where her mother was hanging laundry and said she was going out.

"With whom?" Mrs Clive asked, grabbing a shirt from the basket. "And Rose, don't lie to me," she added swiftly as Rose opened her mouth.

"I'm going out with a boy." Rose expected her mother to stop her as she turned around to leave.

"Have fun," her mother said, going back to her laundry.Rose raised her eyebrows and went back to the front door, where she met Alex. He held out his hand again.

"Ready to go?" She nodded, and the two of them went out into the humid streets.

"Where are we going?" Rose asked as they sauntered downtown. Alex winked but said nothing.

"You'll find out."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
From the lovely Emily-Jade.

Sorry it's so short, but the next one will be longer!