Break the Sky

Chapter 13

Alex wiped the sweat from his brow as he approached the mailbox. He sighed, knowing the bills that awaited him. He calculated the amount of money he and his parents had earned and saw that there wasn't much of a chance that they could pay for everything. He quickly flipped through the letters and found one addressed to him from the President.

He furrowed his brow and wondered what it could be. Alex greeted his mother, setting aside the other envelopes and bills. He ripped open the letter and read the contents:

Order of Induction into Military Service of the United States.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
To ALEXANDER WILLIAM GASKARTH
Order Number 96 Serial Number 583
Greeting: Having submitted yourself to a local board composed of your neighbors for the purpose of determining the place and time in which you can best serve the United States in the present emergency, you are hereby notified that you have now been selected for training and service in the UNITED STATES ARMY.

He looked at the ceiling of the kitchen and took in a deep breath. His father was in the living room, sleeping while his mother looked at him worriedly. "Alexander, is there something wrong?" Mrs. Gaskarth reached for her son's hand. "What does the letter say?" She already knew by the sadness in her son's eyes.

"I...I've been drafted."

Alex invited Rose to dinner several days after, working up the courage to tell her. He could only think of what she would say, the things she would do. How she would break up with him, how heartbreaking it would be...

He shook his head, trying to concentrate on the conversation at hand.

"Rose, I think it's wonderful that you've found a job. America needs more strong women." Mrs. Gaskarth smiled, causing Rose to blush. "I can't wait for you two to get married. Oh, how exciting that will be! And a house of your own, and grandchildren..." Mrs. Gaskarth was more excited than they were for the marriage. But Alex had not told her about the incident involving Mr. Clive.

"Now, now, honey. Let's not get ahead of ourselves." Mr. Gaskarth laughed. Alex shifted uncomfortably. "Son, what's the matter? You've been acting...jittery lately." Mr. Gaskarth was not told about the draft notice. And Alex was to report to the induction the next day.

"That reminds me. I...I have an announcement to make." Mr. and Mrs. Clive were expecting their son to say something about marriage. Rose didn't know what to expect. "It's...um. It's rather unpleasant news." Alex took in a deep breath:

"...I've been drafted."

"What?" Mr. Gaskarth stared at his son, bewildered. "And how long have you had the notice for?" He turned to his wife, who had a very calm expression on her face. "Did you know about this?" He turned back to Alex. "Why didn't you tell me earlier? When are you to report to the induction?"

"I've had the letter three days. I am to report to the induction tomorrow." Alex knew his father would be shocked. Rose stared at her lap, not even looking up to meet Alex's eyes. He felt a pang of guilt. "I'm sorry, Rose. I..."

"It's not your fault." She smiled weakly. "We'll see each other again." She looked up at his mahogany eyes. Rose was on the verge of tears. "I..."

Alex leaned over the table and wiped the tears from her eyes. "I love you, Rose. The war won't change that." He tried to grin, but he couldn't. "You'll see me off tomorrow, won't you?"

She nodded hesitantly, knowing that it could be the last time seeing him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

By Kaylee.

I'm sorry it's so short, but please comment! Thank you! :)