Break the Sky

Chapter 21

Spring

Four months since Darren had departed for the induction, and no news from him. The house was quiet without him, and Rose missed her brother's eccentric ways, the way he would attempt to scare her. The way he would ask what was for dinner and whine if he didn't like it.

Life was boring without Darren.

Rose continued to go to work, meeting Lauren at the light post near the grocery store. The women would chat about the war and continue on their way to work. Rose had confided in Lauren about the mishap that had happened in Europe. Lauren was disgusted, wanting to find this Alexander Gaskarth and punish him. "You don't deserve that, darling," Lauren said as they entered the building. "Oh, some men. They're just...dogs!"

The other women greeted the two and wondered what was going on. "Something wrong?" one of them asked.

"Oh, it's nothing," Rose replied quickly, putting a hand over Lauren's mouth. "All is well."

"Rose, I saw you in town with a boy a couple of weeks ago. Was that Alexander that was with you?"

"Let's not dwell on this subject," Lauren cut in, laying a hand on Kathryn's shoulder. "It isn't important." Lauren smiled at Rose.

The rest of the workday seemed unbearable. Rose felt miserable, thinking about what could have happened to either Darren or Alex. She bit her nails, a nervous habit of hers, and she kept no secrets from Lauren. Rose and Alex's relationship was summarized in a matter of hours. This was privately discussed when Rose and Lauren were welding metal onto the planes.

"How could you ever forgive him for doing something so terrible?" Lauren frowned, the blow torch still on. "You two aren't married, so you could dump him easily, Rose. And that Jack boy, he seems sweet. And he's rich. You wouldn't have to be here if you married him." She watched Rose put the screws into their rightful places. "Rose, boys like Alex don't change. No matter how many times he says, 'I love you', it doesn't change that he cheated on you." She sighed. "I know this sounds unpleasant, but Rose, he's not going to change his ways."

Rose stepped down from the ladder. "You never know, Lauren." She hoped her friend was wrong. She could not bear to hear Alex tell her he had cheated on her again.

By April, there still was no news from Darren. Mrs. Clive started to worry, telling her worst fears to Rose as she was heading off to work. She met Lauren, who was waiting for her at the doorstep today. "Something wrong?" Lauren questioned as they started to walk towards the town.

"My brother hasn't written anything to us." Rose stared at the ground. "We're growing concerned for him." She did not mention about how her father could care less. He said something about Darren getting the real experience of the army. No contact with loved ones, living in the outdoors...Rose had stopped paying attention after those two.

"I'm sure he's fine." Lauren tried her best to smile, hiding her doubts.

Let's hope so.

}{

Later that evening during supper, there was a loud and solemn knock on the door. Mrs. Clive and Rose stood up and decided to answer the door together, leaving an angry Mr. Clive to brood alone. They stepped out of the dining room, relieved to not be around Mr. Clive. He was in quite a terrible mood.

"I wonder who it could be?" Rose wondered aloud, her mother smiling. "I hope it's Darren coming back from overseas." She would be overjoyed to see her silly brother back home and safe. It would be a wonderful occasion, even if Mr. Clive would be mad his son was not off fighting for his country.

"Hmm." Mrs. Clive looked through the peek hole and furrowed her eyebrows. "I cannot see much." She opened the door and greeted the two army officers. Her smile fell.

"Mrs. Clive, your son has passed away serving for his country." One of the men held up Darren's dog tags.

"We're so very sorry."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
by Emily

Sorry guys. But I couldn't come up with anything better D:

Comments would be fantastic! I'd love you forever!