Break the Sky

End

Gunshots.

This was Zachary S. Merrick's funeral, along with several other soldiers. Alex and Rose bowed their heads as the casket was being lowered. Family and friends cried, wiping their tears on handkerchiefs and sleeves. Alex said some comforting words Merrick's parents, about him dying quickly rather than in pain (though he honestly had no idea how Merrick actually had died), and about how Merrick was a hero. He told a small anecdote about the Austrian women Merrick had helped evacuate from the villages.

After exchanging greetings with several more people, it was time to go back home. Finally, at around five, Alex and Rose returned to their neighborhood. Rose squinted at the moving truck parked outside of the house next to hers. Penny's old house. It was not boarded up as it was days ago. The planks were in a large container out in front of the house, several men moving more furniture and cardboard boxes into the home. The front door was wide open. More men wrestled with a sofa as they finally decided what to do with it. Alex squeezed her hand: A signal to tell her it was time to go.

Out stepped an Asian woman, about average height, her eyes almond shaped with full lips.

Penny.

Two years had changed her. She looked so much older than Rose had last seen her. Thinner. Stronger. Rose started to waltz up the lawn, baffled at the idea of finally having her best friend living in the house she was taken from years ago. Rose was already up the steps, now standing in the doorway as the woman barked at the movers about the arrangement of her furniture.

Rose knocked, and Penny stopped commanding them. She turned around, her expression turning from infuriated to shocked. A moment of silence.

"R...Rose?" she sputtered, wondering if the name that tumbled out of her mouth was the correct one.

Rose nodded, smiling slightly. "It's nice to have you back," she said quietly, not realizing how awkward this situation would be. She was staring at her shoes. Penny did not move from her place in the foyer. "It's been quite a while."

Penny nodded hesitantly. "Yes. Yes, it has."

}{

The set date for Alex and Rose's wedding was in September, before Jack was to start another year of college. Though Penny was invited to the wedding, Elyse was to be the maid of honor. Rose and Elyse became the best of friends during the period of when Jack and Elyse were dating. Elyse understood that asking Penny after so many years of not seeing her would be, indeed, awkward, and was honored to take on the job.

During the reception, Jack made the toast. He lifted his glass, tapping it with his spoon. Once the crowd had quieted down, he spoke. "Alex and I have been good friends since childhood, so I believe I have every right to say I know him very well. Alexander Gaskarth is a very interesting young man with many talents, such as spewing milk through his nose." Laughter. "But, as I said, I know Alex very well, and I can tell that he and Rose are very happy together. So let us toast to their well being and a happy marriage."

The glasses clinked, and the guests guzzled down the champagne after shouting some words of encouragement. Rose and Alex smiled at each other, holding hands beneath the table. After dancing and chatting with friends and family, it was finally time for Alex and Rose to leave the scene in their new Ford. But as Alex was driving down into their new neighborhood to their recently-bought house, he made a turn into a dirt road, leading into the woods. Rose was terrified. "Alexander William Gaskarth, what exactly are you planning?" she asked, clutching handfuls of her mother's ancient wedding dress.

"Something unexpected." Alex pulled over into the grass and killed the engine. He stepped out of the automobile and opened the door for Rose, who followed her husband out of the woods and into a clearing. He was carrying a small picnic basket, though she did not understand why. They had just come from a rather large reception.

Alex pulled out a blanket and let it flutter onto the ground. He laid down and motioned for Rose to do the same. She followed his actions and laid down as well. "Is this all we're doing tonight?" she whispered, trying her best not to break the silence.

Alex wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her forehead. "We don't have to do anything special in order to be happy."

Rose smiled. "You're absolutely right."
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END! I'm so glad this is over!