Carry On

Twenty-Six

It was nice to have a friend again. Michael was right, he wasn't going to judge me. He sat there and listened as I explained my five missing days to him. I told him of my time with my dad and how he had left without me. I told him about how I felt, and I explained the situation with Matt. I told him about therapy, and everything leading up to my return to school.

"You're not sick," He said firmly. We were sitting across from each other, the waves on the shore inching closer. We both sat cross-legged, our sweatshirts around us, trying to keep warm from the chill ocean breeze.

"Well, apparently I am. I have to take medicine and I have these horrible headaches and I get sick. I hate it," I said and he sighed.

"You're going to get through this, Liza. I know it seems hard but you'll get through this."

I sighed and looked up at him. I really didn't understand why he cared so much. No one else really cared. Dad and the guys had to care, they didn't have a choice. Amanda and Alicia had a choice, and they chose not to care. He didn't have an excuse.

"Why me?" I asked and his brown eyes became sad, "Everything that's been happening to me. Why did it have to happen to me? Why couldn't I just be happy like everyone else?" I asked and I didn't realize that I was crying until he reached forward and swept a tear away with his cold hand.

"I don't have an answer for you," He said softly and I lost it. I lunged forward and he took me in his arms without protest. I snuggled into his warmth, soaking the shoulder of his sweatshirt as my tears continued to fall. I sobbed as he softly ran a hand through my hair, his other arm wrapped firmly around my waist to hold me up.

"Why are you so nice to me? Why are you doing this?" I asked suddenly. His arm tightened.

"Because despite what you believe, I care about you."

I didn't say anything. I just held on to him for dear life. I didn't care that it was freezing outside, or that he might leave me in the future. I just needed someone at this moment. I needed him now. And he let me need him. He held me like that, not daring to let me go. We stayed like that for what seemed like hours before his grip loosened.

"I don't want to move, but you need to be back by six," He said softly, running a hand through my hair.

"We don't have to leave yet," I mumbled into his chest and he laughed.

"I don't fee like having my ass handed to me by Synyster Gates," He replied and I sighed. He was right. Dad would kill both of us if I missed dinner. He stood quickly and I stretched, ready to get up before the swooped down quickly to pick me up. I giggled as he began to walk back to the car.

"You don't have to carry me," I told him.

"I know," He smirked, continuing the short distance to the car. I didn't protest. I leaned into his chest, knowing that he wasn't going to drop me.

He set me in the front seat before getting into the driver's side. He revved up the engine and slowly started to pull out onto the main street. I melted into the car as soon as he put the heater on, and I held my sweatshirt close to me, "If you need anything, you can always call me. You know that right?"

"Yeah," I muttered.

"I mean it, Liz. I'll always answer."

"Sure, Michael," I said and he sighed.

It took us twenty minutes to get home. Five minutes until six, as promised. I turned to him in the car and smiled, "Thanks for today. But promise you'll go to school tomorrow?" I asked and he laughed.

"Sure. I promise."

"Good. No more ditching," I smiled and he nodded. I leaned forward and gave him a hug before adding a light peck on his cheek. His grip tightened before I pulled away and he smiled softly at me.

"Get inside before your Dad comes out here," He said and I laughed and opened the door, stepping out onto the sidewalk. A gust of wind came and with a wave to Michael I scurried to the front door. I opened it, Dad always kept it unlocked when he was home, and shut it behind me. I took in the warmth before I smelled something delicious coming from the kitchen.

"Dad?" I called.

I stepped around the corner and saw Val in our kitchen, making some sort of pasta and chicken on the stove, "Where's Dad?" I asked.

"Downstairs in the studio with Matt. They should be up soon. Your father was very adamant about you being home by dinner," She noted and I laughed.

"Yeah, tell me about it."

"So, what's his name?" She asked and I stopped, eyeing her, "Oh, c'mon. Your dad won't be up for another five minutes and I want to know more about the boy your spent the entire day with," She smiled playfully.

"His name is Michael and he's a very good friend," I stated.

"Oh, don't give me the 'we're just friends' spiel," She rolled her eyes.

"Aunt Val," I groaned.

"A high school boy does not just take out a girl for the whole day unless it means something. Hell, Matt never did anything for me in high school! Do you know how hard it was to get him to go to prom?" She exclaimed and I chuckled.

"We went down to Newport," I started, "And he listened when I told him everything. He's been my friend for a long time. We're getting closer now that Amanda and Alicia have abandoned ship."

She looked at me sadly, "Your dad mentioned that. I'm sorry, Sweetie."

I shrugged, "It happens."

Before she could reply I heard footsteps behind me. I felt Dad's arm around me as he leaned forward and kissed my head, "How was your day?" He asked.

"Fine," I shrugged.

"He was nice to you right?" He asked and I rolled my eyes, and he took that as a sign not to pry.

"Hey, Uncle Matt," I greeted him as he came into view. He smiled at me, giving me a big bear hug before setting me down again.

"Hey, Kid. Rough week at school, huh?" He asked and I groaned.

"You have no idea," I replied and he laughed.

"You'll be fine, Kid," He smiled.

Val announced that dinner was officially ready. Dad helped her get out plates and serve before we all grabbed our own. We sat down at the table, completely silent as we began to eat. I thanked what ever God was above me for the fact that we had a woman in the family who could cook. I remember my diet as a child was mostly grilled cheese and sandwiches. Mom was never the best cook, no matter how hard Val tried to teach her. Val was lucky to acquire the cooking skill, and that's something Matt couldn't complain about.

"So, you really still want to go to New York?" Matt asked and I saw Dad give him a side glance. Dad's jaw tightened and he attempted to cover it by taking a drink of his water.

I looked between him and Matt before looking at Val. I sighed, "Dad," I turned to him and he put his fork down, waiting for me to say something, "If you don't want me to go, then I won't go," I breathed out and his mouth dropped slightly.

"Um," He breathed in and looked at Matt. I could see Matt staring at him intently, and I knew they were silently communicating. I could see it in Matt's eyes. He sighed, "Liza, I just want you to be happy. My opinion doesn't matter. She's your mother... And if you want to visit her then you should be able to."

This time it was me who looked shocked. I honestly didn't think Dad would be okay with it.

It's an easier way to get rid of you.
Oh, right. I almost forgot that Dad completely hated me. Who was I kidding.

He wants you to leave.
That's the only thing that makes sense. I would be gone and out of his life.

Finally.

"Liza, Sweetie, are you okay?" Val asked and touched my hand gently. I looked over to her.

"Yeah, fine," I said softly, "Thanks Dad," I said and he nodded.

"Val is going to go with you," Matt said and I looked up at him, "Your mother probably hates me just as much as she hates your Dad, anyways."

"Okay."

"But all of our time there with be for you and your mom," Val added with a smile, "I have other people I can visit in New York, anyways. This time should be for you and your mom," She assured.

I nodded, "But she'll be with you at the hotel. Although your mom has a nice studio, it's probably more comfortable that you two stay in a hotel. But Val will go with you every morning to meet your mom, and Michelle will bring you back at the end of your day," Matt smiled.

"You guys have this all planned out," I said softly.

"Val actually planned most of it," Dad said softly, "We just need to book your flight."

Matt and Dad offered to clean the kitchen, since Val had provided us with the food. In the meantime she claimed we needed to pack. I followed Val up to my room where she grabbed three suitcases from my closet, "How long are we staying?" I asked.

"Your dad didn't tell you?" She questioned and I shook my head, "Since you're not in school anymore he's decided that you can stay how long you want... or need," She said softly, "He got you a one-way ticket."

So he really is trying to get rid of you.