Carry On

Thirty

I felt extremely out of place with all the chaos happening around me. Dresses were being thrown across the room, shoes were laying everywhere, people were screaming at each other. I stood awkwardly, moving out of the way whenever someone was headed towards me.

The women around me were beautiful. They were so different from me. Their hair was long, mostly beautiful shades of golden blonde or brown. They were tall with high cheek bones and thick eyebrows. Their outfits were beautiful shades of pinks and oranges. I felt so misplaced with my favorite black and white striped Beetlejuice leggings, a maroon sheer blouse, and a pair of Doc Martens. My hair was tied up high on my head, piled into a messy bun while a black scarf hung around my neck.

"There you are!" Mom shouted and ran towards me. She was wearing a headset, had a ribbon of measuring tape around her neck, and a clipboard in her hand. She looked flustered, but was still stunning in her sky-high heels and pink blush, "I've been looking for you. You can't be out in the middle of the floor. You're going to trip someone," She scolded like I was five. She brought me to a corner and sat me down on a chair, handing me a bottled water, "I'll come get you when the show starts, Sweetie. We can watch it together. For now though, just stay here," She smiles sweetly before heading off once more, disappearing into the crowd of beautiful people.

I pulled a leg up to my chest, resting my head on my knee. I sighed, watching the commotion unfold around me. By the looks of things one of the models was terribly sick, another couldn't walk straight in her heels, and another was having a hair catastrophe.

"You're Chell's kid, right?" A smooth velvet voice asked and I turned. He was a tall man in an Italian suit. He had a slight accent and a smirk on his lip. His dark hair was slicked back and he had the slightest of scruff on his strong jawline. His eyebrows were sculpted perfectly, framing brilliant blue eyes.

"Yeah, what's it to you?" I asked and he smiles.

"I've been waiting to meet you. She's so busy with her show right now. I'm Leo," He held his hand out and I eyed it. I took it anyways and he shook my hand firmly.

"Liza," I reply.

"Chelle didn't tell me her daughter had such a significant style. Grunge-era with a twist of high fashion," He smiles and I raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah I kind of just wear what ever, but thanks I guess," I shrug.

"I'd expect you to be more fashionably educated, with Chelle being your mother and all."

"Yeah, well I don't live out here, didn't she tell you?" I ask and he nodded.

"Right. You live with the hung up dad, right? The asshole?"

My eyes widened, "My dad is not an asshole. He's a good man and does a lot for his family. I don't know who you think you are-" I start but he cuts me off by placing a finger over my lips.

"Oh, but you can get to know who I am," He smiled and rested a hand on my knee. I gasped, slapping his hand away.

"Don't you ever touch me again," I growl.

"Child, when someone notices your beauty you take it as an opportunity. That's how this business works. How'd you like to come to me studio and have some shots taken of you?" He asked, leaning in again. This time I pushed him back with both hands on his chest and I stood up.

"If you ever put your hands on my again, I'll punch your lights out, got it? You don't have the right to touch me, you creep," I snapped before pushing passed him.

I didn't know where I was going, but I was going to stick around with that creep. I found a back door to the building and felt the cool New York air hit my face. I groaned, letting the door shut behind me as I found a curb to sit on.

This was not how I pictured my vacation with Mom. She wasn't the same anymore. She was caught up in a world of fashion and Italian men. I suddenly missed Dad with all my heart.

I sighed, pulling out my phone and holding it to my ear, waiting for the rings to pass. "Hello?" He answered and I smiled.

"Hey, Dad," I replied.

"Hey, Sweetie. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to say hi. I have some time to kill before the show," I replied quickly and there was a thick pause.

"Oh. Where's Mom?"

"She's busy. I'm going to watch the show with her when it starts in a few minutes."

"Are you having fun?"

"Yeah," I lied, "Everything is great."

"Okay, Sweetie. Call me if you need anything, okay? You've been taking your pills right?"

"Yeah, Dad," Val was a hawk when it came to the pills. She was more adamant about it than Dad, and that said a lot.

"I just want you to be safe. That's all," He said softly.

"I know," I whispered, "The show's going to start soon so I should head inside. I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, Liza. Are you sure everything is okay?"

"Yeah, Dad," I stated, "Everything is fine," I lied.

"Okay. I'll talk to you later."

I hung up, sighing deeply as I pocketed my phone.

I debated calling Val to have her pick me up, but I didn't want to bother her. I sighed, turning back to the door and opening it once more to hear music echoing through the building. The show started and Mom was probably looking for me. I headed inside and peeked out from behind the stage, looking at the crowd for my mother.

She was sitting in the front row, the seat to the left of her empty. The seat to the right had Leo, grasping her hand as he leaned in to place a kiss on her neck. I suddenly get disgusted. She wasn't worried at all about me, or where I was. She forgot about me and was dating some creep.

And suddenly I didn't care. I didn't care about her.

-

"This is by far the worst idea you've ever had!" Matt protested, as Brian sped across the freeway.

"Don't fucking tell me what to do," Brian growled, quickly exiting the freeway and weaving in between the cars of Los Angeles traffic.

"Dude, are you sure this is smart? She's growing on her own, Bri. Let her be," Matt stated more calmly this time as the car came to a stop in a parking lot. Brian was already unbuckling his seatbelt.

"No," Brian stated firmly as he grabbed his bag from the car, locking it, "I know something is wrong, Matt. I can just feel it. I need to get to her."

"You're being paranoid. Just call Val..."

"You don't get it, Matt!" Brian shouted, spinning around to face his friend, "I walk around with this feeling of dread because I know that it's going to take one small thing to push her over the edge. If you had heard the way she sounded on the phone. So broken and lifeless... I can't go through that again. I can't let her do something like that. I need to be there for her," Brian stated, "And if you don't think that's right, then don't bother coming."

Before Matt could say anything a familiar black car pulled up. Brian raised an eyebrow as he saw Zacky get out of the driver's side, Jimmy following from the passenger seat, and Johnny emerging from the back, "You were going to head to New York for Liza without us!?" Jimmy shouted, grabbing a bag from the trunk.

"What?" Brian questioned, confused as to why his other friends had shown up so quickly.

"Matt texted me saying you were going insane. We couldn't let you take the trip alone, could we?" Johnny asked, he also had a bag in his hand. Brian turned and glared at Matt who defensively put his hands up.

"That whole Mother's intuition bullshit was thrown out the window a long time ago," Zacky stated, "You're her father. If you feel something is wrong, then we shouldn't ignore you. We have your back," He assured and Brian smiled, turning to Matt once again.

Matt sighed, looking between his four friends, "Alright, alright. Let's go before I change my mind," He grumbled and they were off to the terminal, overnight bags in hand. Brian didn't pack much. He just wanted to get Liza out of New York as quick as possible.