Carry On

Thirty-Two

Brian turned and glared at the woman before him, who sat cowardly on the chair beside the window, "Do you even realize how much of an irresponsible parent you are?" He asked.

"Brian, I..." Michelle started, but was cut off by the curt tone of her ex-husband's voice.

"Don't you dare try to make excuses!" He yelled, "Saying you were working some stupid fashion show is not a valid reason. She flew all the way out here to see you, Michelle. Not see some models walk in a crooked line down a runway. She came to see you," He pointed at her, "And you've set her up for disappointment from day one."

"Brian, you know I would never deliberately try to hurt her," She said softly, and he shook his head.

"Do you understand now why I didn't want her coming out here?" He asked and she stared up at him blankly, "I knew you would do this, Michelle!" He exclaimed, "I knew from the moment I saw her get on that plane, that you would single-handedly destroy all of the progress we made."

"What progress?" She snapped, "She's hearing voices, trying to kill herself, and a high school drop-out. How the hell is that progress?"

Brian took in a deep breath, "It may not be much to you, but it means the world to me. She's grown stronger through this, and she's alive. That's all the progress I need at the moment. As long as she's alive, then I'm happy," He said softly, "But because of you, all of that could be gone. Her will to live could be gone because her brain can't comprehend the difference between an ignorant parent, and someone who doesn't love her. She doesn't understand that just because you ignore her, doesn't mean you don't love her. She can't understand that, Michelle. And now we're back to square one."

Michelle huffed, "This started with you," She challenged, "I know I'm not the best mother, Brian," She said and she could no longer hold back the tears as her voice started to crack, "I abandoned my own child, for Christ's sake. I know I'm the worst mother there is, and I tried to cover it up with this world of superficial people to hide the pain I felt. The pain and guilt I felt for being so selfish," She choked out, "But her problems started when she knew Daddy was never home. Not with me. I know I messed her up when I left, but if you had just been there!" She suddenly shouted.

Brian took a step back, eyes widening at Michelle's sudden outburst, "If you had just been there then we could have been happy!" She cried, "If you had just shown us that you actually loved us more than your band... But how could you?" She asked, her voice growing softer, "How could we even compete against Avenged Sevenfold?"

"Michelle, I did everything with the band to provide for you. You know I'm as dumb as rocks. How the fuck was I supposed to do anything else?" He asked, "I did what I had to do to give you everything you could want."

"But we didn't want it, Brian!" She snapped, "We would have been fine living in a shack, just as long as we had you! She would have traded all of the Barbies and the dresses if it meant that she could have a dad!"

"I know," Brian whispered and Michelle's eyes met his, "I pushed you away and it was all my fault. I know you left because of me. I know Liza became like this because of me. I've known," He said it so soft that Michelle had to strain her ears to hear him, "But that still doesn't give you the excuse to do what you did."

"I..."

"You had this chance with her to fix everything. And you fucking blew it," He pointed a finger at her, "And I will never forgive you for that, Michelle. But even worse," He looked deep into her eyes that were wide with shock, "Liza will never forgive you for it."

"That's not true."

"I'd bet my life on it."

-

I felt like a thousands weights had lifted up off of me as I started to stir. I groaned, shifting on my side to feel that I was laying on someone. This person was way too big to be Val. I sat up, my eyes fluttering open. They adjusted to the sunlight pouring into the room before I looked around, seeing that I was laying on Matt's chest, curled into his side. At my other side was Val, her arm outstretched so her hand covered mine. The three of us laying on the sectional in the living room, just in front of the large floor to ceiling windows.

Looking across the room I saw Zacky in a chair, his legs tossed over the arm and his body twisted awkwardly in an attempt to sleep comfortably. Below him was Johnny, sprawled out across the floor with his head resting on Jimmy's lap, who was also curled up on the floor.

If the guys were there, then that could only mean that Dad was there also. With that thought I stood, not caring if I was waking anyone up. I hopped over Matt, jumping over the back end of the couch before running towards my room.

"Dad!" I called out to him and tossed open the door. I saw him and the shadow of a figure in a chair, but I paid no attention, "Dad!" I screamed excitedly before launching myself into him. The gravity of me pushed him back, forcing him to sit on the bed for support as he wrapped his arms around me, "Daddy!" I sobbed into his shoulder, throwing my arms around his neck.

"It's okay, I'm here," He whispered comfortingly.

I sobbed, choking on my tears as I cried into him, "Dad," I sobbed again and again and his grip only got tighter, "I want to go home! I'm sorry!" I apologized, "I shouldn't have come here!"

With that he pulled back and I saw his face. He was fighting back tears, but not allowing them to fall. He sighed contently before placing a kiss on my forehead, bringing a hand up to wipe my tears away, "Okay. We'll get the first flight out," He assured and I nodded.

Suddenly I heard a cough behind me and I turned, stopping as my heart dropped into my stomach. I saw Mom sitting in a chair by the window. Her expensive purse in her lap. She was wearing a dress with tights and designer boots that went up to her knees, "Liza, Sweetie..."

"What are you doing here?" I snapped and Dad's grip tightened on me.

"Liza, that's no way to talk to your mother," He said softly and I glared at her.

"Why are you here?" I asked again and she sighed.

"I came to apologize, Sweetie. I was so distracted yesterday," She smiled a bit, "I completely lost sight of what was important."

I stared at her, wishing that I could forgive her, "I don't want it."

Her eyebrows furrowed, "Want what?" She asked.

"Your apology," I replied and her eyes went wide.

"Liza, I..."

"I want to go home, Dad," I turned to face him, "I want to go home right now." He nodded and I turned back to her, "Goodbye, Mom," I said and she nodded, standing up.

"Bye, Liza," She said softly and walked over to me, placing a kiss on my forehead. She lingered for a bit, her hand resting on my shoulder, "I love you."

"I love you too," I whispered back and she nodded. I clung to Dad as he lifted me up as Mom started to walk out the door. By then, everyone was awake, hearing my cries. They all stood solemnly in the living room, watching Mom slowly.

She turned and waved to Val, ignoring the other guys, before opening the door and letting herself out. I sniffled, resting my head on Dad's shoulder. He sighed, kissing my forehead before walking over to the living area so we could sit down, "Good to see you again, Kid," Matt said softly, ruffling my hair with his hand. I smiled and Val smiled warmly back at me.

"Liza, are you sure you want to go home?" Dad asked and I looked up at him, nodding, "Well, we were going to take that trip for your birthday. Are you sure you wouldn't rather go somewhere else before going home?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I want to go home first, Dad," I said and he looked at me puzzled, "Just for a little bit, then we can leave."

"Are you sure?"

"I promise it won't be long."

-

Matt sighed, his arms crossed as he watched Brian help Liza pack. He observed how quiet both of them were as they took turns folding things neatly in her suitcase, "What's up?" Zack asked softly, planting himself next to Matt so he could follow his gaze.

"It was too simple, wasn't it?" He asked and Zack looked to him, "You have a girl who's grown up in a world feeling unloved. The day her mother truly shows that she really doesn't care, she runs off. She has the privacy and the things she needs to end everything all at once..."

"And she doesn't," Zack finished quietly, "I was worried I was the only one thinking the same thing."

"Why would she cut herself over words that Brian said, but take one sleeping pill from being completely ignored by her mother?" Matt asked.

"Because she wasn't ready yet," Zack said and looked to his friend, "Think about it. If she had wanted to die then she would have done it. If she really did, but she didn't. She's thinking of a better way."

"This isn't over yet, is it?" Matt asked.

"No. It's not," Zack shook his head. He knew deep down that this battle had just begun. The war had taken a turn towards the other side, and they were winning.

"Do you think it will ever be over?" Matt asked, turning to look at Zack. Zack looked back at him.

"Hopefully not."

He was right. Matt would rather have Liza fighting for her life than having it all end. But something deep down inside him knew that this fight was just getting started. He could see it in the way she moved and talked. The way her brown eyes were dull. Flat.