Status: Coming Soon

Dear Randy

The First Letter

Randy had always been a mystery to me, always begging my mom for more information on this mystery man she loved as a teenager, I was always intrigued by him. My mom told me only the small details, details like, "Oh, he had curly black hair and tan skin and dark charcoal eyes." It wasn't until one night, as I was getting ready for a shower that I heard her talk of him, without restraint.

My grandma and my mother were setting at the kitchen table quietly talking, "Well, I always thought one day, we would meet up and start something up again. Maybe not romantically, but at least on friendly terms," I heard my mother say.

"Randy was a good man, he just was raised wrong," my grandma chuckled, "even when he didn't have money, he would go and get you some flowers or bears, whatever he could get his hands on."

"He was the biggest thief," my mother giggled, "do you remember that time you walked in the house and we were all muddy and you got mad because all the mud got on Grandma's rug?"

"Yes! What were you two doing that night?"

"Well, do you remember Mr. Thomas?" she asked, "Well, we always liked to run up to his door, knock on the door and run away. He came out with a gun that night and we hid in the woods."

My grandma chuckled, "I never knew what you two were doing, you were rotten. He would have done anything for you, to Randy, you were just it."

I smiled to myself, thinking about my mother as a teenager and getting her first taste of love, I always liked eavesdropping when they started talking about Randy, "...he got moved," my grandma said, breaking me from my thoughts, "to the Big Sandy."

As I showered that night, a plan formed in my head. I wanted to meet my mother, before she was broken. Well, before she had been completely broken. I looked it up on the computer, before I went to bed, and found him. I knew it was him because of his middle name. The list of reasons he was in jail so long seemed very meek compared to all of the other offenses. He was in for many different vandalism charges. He had 45 years.

They had a mailing address next to his name and the idea furthered in my mind. I would write to this man and I would finally figure out all the things I had ever wanted to know about my mother's happiest part of her life. I called my boyfriend and he allowed me to use his PO Box for the letters. I had always wanted to meet this man and my mother told me that I did once and this has always intrigued me because she also said he keeps my picture up on his wall.

Dear Randy,
You don't know me, but you knew my mother. Well, actually, you knew her better than most people ever have known her. You have her name tattooed on your arm. You sent her a letter a few years ago and she never replied. I don't know exactly what I plan on accomplishing with my letters, but if you do not ever want another letter from me, I promise I will never write you again. My mother is Mini.
I also wanted to let you know why she never wrote back. She never wrote you back because she is married, again. To a man named Joe. He's kind of controlling when it comes to Mom. I don't really think in an abusive way, but I'm sure it could get that way. You know how these things build. Anyway, she was going to write you back, she really was, she got one page in and he threw a fit. He said that it wasn't "proper" for her to be writing you and so, she ripped the letter up and never finished it. Well, as far as I know.
I'm not trying to give you false hope or anything but I just want to know my Mom. My Mom, when she was at her happiest. I know that she was at her happiest when you and your family were in her life. She doesn't know that I am writing these to you and please do not let her find out. She talks to your mom and sister occasionally, so I would appreciate if these stay between me and you.
I guess, I'll start out by asking you two questions, how did you two meet? Do you still keep my picture in your jail cell? And remember, if this bothers you or you do not want to listen, I will stop sending letters at once and never write you again.
Sincerely,
Blue
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it begins...
Questions/Comments?