Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Prologue

It happened when we were fifteen years old. The human world had already been under control of the vampires for seventeen years. Our family was a small one, on the move all the time, trying to avoid being caught and farmed. If the vampires had been smart, they wouldn’t have killed us all in the first few years that they took control of the government. They wouldn’t have burned our cities to the ground, they wouldn’t have wiped us out.

There are only a few cities left, scattered around the world. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. I’m sure there are other humans out there, trying to get by, but the vamps are smart. They have technology that we could have never created, and they are so much faster, stronger, keener. We barely stand a chance. At least the sun was on our side.

When we were fifteen, we had been traveling by foot through the middle of Arizona, making our way to where we thought a convent was. That’s the good thing about the world too; God, if he exists, is on our side. At least, when we throw holy water at them or shoot them with blessed bullets, they seem to die a lot quicker.

The cave was safe, that we were staying in. Dad had even managed to scavenge food from an abandoned town. Dad was good like that, and even if there had been a vampire, he could have killed them. Dad was the worlds best at that, it seemed. A vampire hunter in his own right.

They came in the night, when we were the weakest. I’ll never understand how the three of us got out. It was probably because my dad sacrificed himself, taking them out and showing himself as the biggest worry. They thought they would catch us later.

Our father died that night, and if our mother lived or died, we never figured out. Regardless, we were three lone daughters walking in a desert, hardened by fear, and trembling with hunger and exhaustion. But we kept going.

Us Canavan sisters were hard to kill.

We trekked across the states, with no knowledge of where we were going, or how we were going to live. But we were fighters. And fighting is how we stumbled across Danielle, Liam and Louis, struggling to survive against a couple of idiotic young vampires.

It seemed that both of our groups were broken and the thought of having more human companionship was too strong, was too good to be true. So the six of us moved along, killing what we could, and working over different equations to solve the disease that had destroyed the human race.

So far we had only realized what caused it. Bats that ate mosquitoes, began to evolve, began to crave blood, the more they ate the blood-sucking insects. The phrase ‘you are what you eat’ took a fatal turn when bats began attacking humans, passing the mutation to humans. Who would have known that vampirism really would come from bats? Talk about the irony.

It’s been three years since our parents have died. Our family is small but functioning. We all have pasts that we are hiding from, we all have horrid memories that haunt us every night. We don’t lie, we don’t hide things from one another. And though haven’t been together forever, one thing is very, very clear: We would kill for one another.
♠ ♠ ♠
Noelle here writing the prologue. Pumped to be co-writing this with the awesome Meghan! We don't disappoint (: