Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Ashling Canavan

My heart panged as I heard the loud thud of the door being shut. Not only was I worried for Blake’s safety, now I worried about Niall’s as well. Finally after laying in bed thinking about the worst I made my way to the table in the kitchen. I pulled out a pencil and opened my notebook. We were almost able to reconstruct it but it was obvious that parts were missing. Taking a deep breath I slowly began to try and fill in the blanks.

It had been a few days since the incident with Niall and I, and it was clear that there was some tension. Blake loved that fact that we weren’t always attached anymore but she seemed to be the only one. No one had the audacity to bring it up while we were in big groups but I could tell that Louis was practically dying to know what had happened. If he hadn’t gone on the raid I know for a fact he would be right by my side pestering me about it.

I tried to set all of these thoughts aside and focus on my notes. “What are you doing up so early?” I looked at the hall to see Zayn. He did not look happy to be up but at the same time he was absolutely gorgeous.

“How do you do that?” the thought just poured out of my mouth. Being that it had be such a long time since we had been around new people, my thoughts filter kind of jumped ships and left.

“How do I do what?” he stared at me with such a confused look. I could feel my cheeks heating up as I attempted to come up with a cover. “Alright spit it out.” I could think of nothing for a cover so I gave in.

“Its just, you’ve probably only been up for a solid 10 minutes and you look absolutely perfect.” That wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. He began to laugh quite loudly. “What? I’m being serious Zayn. You’re absolutely gorgeous like 24/7. If you have found the fountain of youth please share the location.” My mood settled right after that. Zayn was great at making people forget about things they were worried about. We joked around quietly for about an hour and then things began to die down.

“So what happened Ash?” My body went tense, as the words escaped his mouth. I was speechless. He was the last person I expected to ask about the situation at hand. I stared at my book, not knowing what to really say. “We all know you and Niall fancy each other, and it seem to be going quite well. Then, suddenly it just stopped. You guys practically avoid each other now”

“He kissed me.” My heart panged as the words came out of my mouth. “Yes, I do like him, but everything logical says a relationship is a bad idea in times like this.” He chuckled at my opinion, making me a little bit angry.

“You’re logic is wrong. To find someone in a time like this is almost impossible. You should be happy to have found him.” For the first time seem to not be as up tight as he always way. The bad boy exterior had been peeled away for a little while now that there was barely anyone home. He watched me with thoughtful eyes.

“What if I fall in love, and suddenly something happens and I lose him. I don’t think I would be able to live without him Zayn.” Just the small thought of Niall being gone hurt. I would stop anything from hurting him, even if it meant hurting myself in the process. I tapped my pen on the table trying to get ride of the thoughts of the group being hurt out on their raid.

“Looks like you already have.” He walked away from the table as he said this. I buried my face back into my notebook, pulling my thoughts away from Niall. I began to fill in the holes of my formulas. I need more space to work with this long formula. I needed to see the formula in a whole not chunked up on a small piece of paper. I looked that the ground, and it hit me.

I rummaged through my bag until I found my pack of chalk. I started the formula at the end of the hall way and it stretched clear through the living area. When spots would get to messy to read I would write what I could depict and leave what I couldn’t blank. Sam stole a piece of chalk and began to doodle along the outskirts of my equations. Zayn stood over me watching me fill it in piece by piece. I explained things to him as I did them, hoping that maybe he could be some science help once I got the supplies.

After a couple hours of completely the equations I was finally done. I looked it over, double-checking that everything was filled in and had the correct math. Zayn placed his hand on my shoulder with almost a proud look on his face. As if they were waiting for me to be ready, the door opened and everyone was home.

In my excitement I bounded over to Louis, he was always the one to collect my stuff. “Ok ok, calm yourself.” I grabbed the bag out of his hand and took it over to the table. Zayn was right by my side watching what I was doing. Everyone looked at the formula that was written down the hallway and then back at me with a crazed look.

“Zayn go read out the equation for me.” People began to huddle around me, watching me mix chemicals. After what seemed like a lifetime I was ready to add the blood. I grabbed a small vile from a padded box, and pulled the cap off. Zayn was at my side ready to see what happens once I mix them. I could feel Niall’s breath on my neck as he leaned over me just as interested as everyone else.

Slowly I poured the blood into the mixture, set it on the counter and walked away from it. After what had happened last time I decided someone else should check it rather than me. If the chemicals were fucked up again, I don’t think I would be able to take it and most likely through a tantrum like last time. I sat on the couch watching the clock, waiting to hear the results from Zayn. Five minutes passed and finally Zayn walked over to me. The expression on his face wasn’t a pleasant one.

“I just,” he paused and looked at the ground, unable to think I assumed. “I just don’t quite understand how we’ve ended up with such a brilliant mind on our side.”

“I’m giving up-“ the words he said hadn’t quite sunk in as I began to speak. “Wait. Brilliant?” My eyes widened with joy as he smiled at me. I looked at the table where everyone was smiling huge. “It worked!” I jumped on Zayn, kissing his cheek. Next I bounded over to the table to check the temperature of the substance. The bottle was room temperature, just as it was supposed to be.

“Blake! I’ve, no wait, we’ve done it!” I jumped up in down in a circle around the group. I had never been so excited through out my entire life. “Now all we have to do is test it.” That was the hard part but right now I didn’t even care. I mind blanked of all logic at the time, and I was ready to celebrate. I was so out of it that I jumped on Niall and planted a huge kiss on his lips, in front of everyone.

He was unsure at first but after a moment his arms snaked around me, holding me close as if I was going to leave. The moment was so perfect until Curly Top decided to ruin it.

“What do you have to do to test it?” I backed off of Niall, grimace on my face. Blake always knew the answer to this but we never really spoke about it. All in all it was always decided that I would be the one to go out and get bit for the trial, but that was mostly because I wouldn’t let her do other wise.

“Well Harold, it involves me risking my life and doing something completely stupid.” It didn’t take anyone more than a minute to understand where I was going with this. Niall began to say something but Blake quickly shut him down.

“We’ve known this for a very long time and I’m completely ok with ME,” she paused to look at me after putting a huge amount of emphasis on the “me” part. “Going out and getting bit. If it proves that the serum works then I’m willing to help my sister.” I wasn’t happy with what she was doing but I knew that there was no way I could stop her.

“No.” Harry’s answer was short and to the point. Blakely looked at him as if he had just called her a C U Next Tuesday. “I wont risk the lives of my people for some stupid science project. If you’re going to play with vampires do it by someone else’s home. Not mine.” He turned to walk toward his room.

“Hey guys,” El’s sweet voice was strained and she sounded in pain. I hadn’t even notice that she wasn’t in the room. “We don’t need to worry about going and getting bit.” When I saw her I immediately felt sick to my stomach. She was beyond pale and looked as if she was on the verge of dying.

Louis rushed to her side, and just in time as she began to fall. “Quick! Give her the treatment! She’s dying!” I began to pour some of the liquid into a syringe, but I still had to wait for her to be completely turned to see if it worked. El writhed in pain as the venom turned her slowly. A few minutes after she began to stop writhing, I injected her with the Antidote. Now it was the waiting game because there wasn’t a hundred percent chance it would work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no! El was bit! What will the outcome be? Noelle is next.