Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Ashling Canavan

Everything was sunny as my sister and I played in a grassy field. Mom looked plump almost as if you poked her stomach she would pop. Everyone said she was demonic for bringing a child into this world, but with the decreasing human population I was happy to be having another sibling.

Blakely pulled on my braid and took off in another direction. “You’re it!” she giggled and I took off after her. The sanctuary was such a beautiful place, filled with joy and light. It was one of the only places that hadn’t been affected yet. There weren’t many children there but there weren’t many children left in general.

I chased Blake around for what seemed like hours until we were both ready to drop. Finding ourselves a nice patch of grass we sat down, looking at the sky. “Blake,” She looked at me, letting me know she was listening. “Do you ever think things will get back to normal?” I knew she really didn’t know the answer and the likely hood was really unlikely but I still wanted her opinion.

“Honestly? I think you and dad can fix this mess.” I smiled at her words. I was smart but not that smart. Dad might be though; I could help but think to myself. It would be nice to be the one to fix. Then everyone would love me, not to just be the one who was picked on.

Suddenly a loud explosion went off and the sky was filled with black smoke. I could hear dad screaming for us to run. Blake and I ran for shelter, mom behind us every step of the way. People were scattering in every direction, vampires chasing after them. People were being slaughtered everywhere. I wanted to cover my eyes but I knew I wouldn’t be able to run if I did. Finally we made it to our house. Quickly we made our way to the safe house door. Blake and I were pushed in first, mom second and dad following last. We stayed perfectly quiet. Not moving for hours.

Finally everything was done and we could get out. Everyone who wasn’t taken was sucked dry or torn but freshies. The sanctuary now looked like ruins. We packed up what we needed and left. Having nowhere left to live we were now nomads, in the crazy, fucked up place we called Earth.


I woke up completely alone in my bed, and everything was dark. I couldn’t hear anything but whether or not I had gotten my hearing back or not yet was unsure. People use to say things like that happened when you passed out right? Slowly I blinked my eyes, trying to remember what had happened. The vivid images of the creature so close to my face made me shutter. Then I remembered the woman. She was so familiar. I wasn’t sure how but she was, and I wanted to know where she was from.

That’s when I heard it, the familiar cry of someone so dear to me, Blakely. I walked out of the room, to see everyone picking things up. Or crying. I glanced around the room. Everyone appeared there, but then I looked at Blake. She never cries, and yet she was nearly sobbing. Harry’s arms were wrapped around her shoulders; Perrie was comforting Zayn and attempting to calm him down. Liam’s eyes were puffy and blood shot just like Danielle’s. Andy was going AWOL, and El was half dead but trying to sooth him. Niall sat on the couch with his hands in his hands, sniffing and shaking his head in what I presumed was disbelief. Louis, screamed, making me jumps a little; he was on his knees cupping his newly red hand.

Then it hit me, there was only one person missing in this picture. My eyes grew wide, and I stumbled making everyone aware of my presence.

“Where’s Sam?” I asked in a quiet, shaky voice. Niall stepped up to my side, but I walked straight past him to Blake. She looked down and tears fell from her eyes again. I stood quickly and made my way over to Louis. “Where is she Louis?” I could barely breathe. He looked at me with sad eyes, and I took a step closer to him.

“Where. Is. Sam, Louis?” My voice was so shaky that I could barely understand myself. He took a deep breath.

“We don’t even know how the-“ That’s all it took for me to lose it. My brain just snapped. Unwind, as if it had no structure.

“You promised you’d keep her safe.” I screamed, as I began to cry. I attempted to lunge at him but Niall’s arms were already wrapped around me. I fought at them until my sister’s replaced them.

“Ash, you got to calm down. You need to chill.” She sniffled in between words, but she was so calm at the same time. I stopped flailing at Louis, but I still wanted to gorge his eyes out. He promised me he would always protect Sam. He would never let her get taken or hurt. “We’re going to get her back. Do you remember the woman with the scar?” I nodded my head at her remember the woman’s face clearly.

“She took her and we’re going to get her back. Now go get ready.” I didn’t even wait for Niall’s help. It was wrong of me to take this out on him but this was something much greater than him. This was family that they messed with, and now they were going to die.

It took me all of twenty minutes to make 10 more vials of the cure. I may have been half dead but I did notice El was alive. I packed up my bag, braided my hair and checked my Glock. When I walked into the living room Harry, Blake and Louis arguing about something met my ears. It was clear that Louis was not agreeing with Blake, which was something that never happened, when it came to serious matters.

“No you guys aren’t coming with us, this isn’t your fight.” Blakely barked at harry. I felt Niall’s hand slip into mine, and I couldn’t help but smile a little bit. As shitty as it was that all of this was going on he made me happy.

“Well, your sister had compromised my entire house so she has brought me into it.” I cringed as he pointed out it was my entire fault.

“He doesn’t really mean it.” Niall whispered into my ear, obvious that he saw my discomfort. Louis defended Harry saying we could use his help since about 90% of human population was vampires now. He had a very valid point but I had already this group enough struggle and pain. I couldn’t bring them into our fight.

“No,” I spoke out. No one had really noticed my presence except Niall as they all looked at me. “Blake’s right. We wont let you get into our fight. Army of Vamps or not.” Harry, Louie and Niall looked at me dumbfounded.

“Ash we want to help you.” Niall pulled my face around to meet his eyes. They were so pure and blue that I could have sworn he knew every dark secret I had. I looked away before I lost my gut and took a breath.

“No.” I said again moving my hand from his and looking back at Louie and Harry. “I’ve drug you through enough of my mess and now I’ve ruined your home. Us storming into the Vamps territory will cause enough distraction for you to find a new place to stay. All you’ll have to worry about is rouges.” No one spoke they all kind of just looked at me. Blakely had a proud smile on her face though, happy that her sister was defending her.

Finally Harry spoke up explaining that no matter what he was going to be going with us, Niall agreeing he was too. After a long period of a silent conversation with Blake, she finally sighed.

“Fine.” She snapped. Harry looked at Louis and Niall with a look of satisfaction. “But we need a well thought trough plan now that there’s more of us.” And so we began to draw out our mastermind plan to get Sam back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gah! Sorry that this has taken such a long time! I've just been so busy on top of being uninspired to write. Here it is and I hope you like :D

Follow me on Twitter! @MMibba and Noelle es @CarpeeThatDiem