Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Ashling Canavan

“Can we all stop fighting?” I had enough of Louis and Blakely’s bickering. Niall put his hand on my thigh soothingly, telling me that me bitching at them would only make matter worst but my emotions were to fucked up to care. “We’re all fucked up, and what we really need to be doing, is talking about why they took Sam, and what we’re going to do about it.”

After a long pause of them both staring at me, they finally sat down. Everyone was quiet, considering things. I was completely in the dark on why they would take Sam. Children vampires were extremely dangerous, and usually ended up being killed within days.

“How are we going to get her back?” Danielle asked finally, her voice cracked as she held in tears. Liam’s arm instantly rested on her shoulder and she tucked her head into his chest. Niall wanted to comfort me like that but I was too concerned with figuring out how to get Sam back. If something happens to her, it’ll be my entire fault. “And why would they take her?”

“It’s a woman,” My head snapped in Blake’s direction. She was staring off at the wall, not making eye contact with anyone. “She had a jagged scar on her face, as if she had gotten it in a raid. Raids happened in compounds all the time, when we were young.” Scornful memories flooded my head, making me flinch slightly. Those we times I never wanted to remember.

“What does that have to do with anything?” Perrie asked but it was obvious everyone else had the same question. “It doesn’t quite matter who it was. They took her regardless.” I knew she was still upset with me, because she was partly at fault for letting me leave.

Harry stood behind Blake watching her carefully, not sure how stable she was. “Raids,” she continued. I had no idea how any of this was relevant but I listened waiting for it to click. “I remember them so clearly. At the beginning, sometimes all we had were kitchen knives to defend ourselves, when in a compound. And the vampires always had sharper blades, cutting people for fun.”

“Blake,” Harry said as it hit me; like a steel trap running over a simple raccoon. I couldn’t breath, as the image of the woman with the scar filled my head. Her facial features that had reminded me so much of someone I love. Someone that I had mourned over for months. The one who birthed me into this sinful world. Our mother was indeed alive, well in a sense. “That makes no sense.” He finally finished.

“Let’s just discuss a plan,” I spat out, not wanting him to dig any further into the subject. Tears fought at the brim of my eyes, as anger filled my body. “Just- let’s do this.”

For years we were led to believe that she was dead, or worse harvested. Everyone sat, there confused needing more to understand. Niall watched me carefully, unknowing of how to understand. I took in a deep breath, but it hitched multiple times as I exhaled.

“We don’t understand. What does that have to do with this woman?” Louis’s voice was filled with frustrations, as he thought about this information. Blakely looked around the room at everyone finally making eye contact with me and took in a deep breath.

“She’s our mother” I blurted it out before she had the time to think. Everyone stared at us in shock. “Well, was out mother. But its irrelevant at this point and the only this I care about is getting my sister back, so can we drop the subject.”

Niall attempted to pull me into a hug to comfort me, but I quickly stood. “I don’t want your pity. We all lost people and we are no different. That woman is no longer my mother and longer we sit here and twiddle our thumbs the less time Sam has.” The tears were nearly impossible to keep down, but I refused to let them fall. She ignored us for four years without any clue she was out there. She was dead in my eyes.

“She’s right,” Perrie was the first to speak. “We need to really figure out what we’re going to do.” Everyone sat back down and began to discuss the plan.

As much as I tried to pay attention, I just couldn’t do it. Without a word I stood up and walked to my room. I picked up my notebook and began to scribble notes down. Not long after the door opened and closed again. I didn’t have to look to see who it was, I merely moved forward at little bit so he could sit behind me. Once comfortable Niall pulled me on to his lap, trying to disturb me as little as possible.

“Are you ok, Ash?” he words were barely a whisper in my ear, but never the less my pencil stopped moving. I wasn’t ok, and he knew that. But it was how I would phrase my emotions to him that was keeping me silent.

“I’m angry.” I finally got out. “Not at her, not at anyone in the group, not at Sam, but at myself.” There was a long pause after I stopped talking. I scribbled a few more things in my book before he replied.

“Keep talking I want to know every detail of how you feel right now.” I turned just enough to give him the look that meant I didn’t want to talk. He carefully pulled my notebook and pencil out of my hand and made me turn around. “You have all these emotions locked up in your brain and you need to let them all out Ash.”

I stared into his blue eyes for a moment, and then that was the end. My eyes welled up and the tears were unstoppable. I punched the wall next to Niall’s head and it made him flinch a little. I went to hit it a second time but he grabbed my hands and tucked me into a hug.

“Its all my fault.” I cried into the air. “I didn’t recognize here. I went out like an idiot. I let them in, and now I lost the one person who hold the last of my family together.” As much as I tried to get away he was not letting me. “Why couldn’t she have taken me? Sam is so young, this is such a horrid life for a such a young girl.” I gave in and sobbed in his chest.

My little sister was gone. My mother was a vampire. All I had left was Blake. If I lose her, I will have nothing left of a family. We were Canavans, this was never supposed to go this way.
♠ ♠ ♠
The mental state of this poor girl is spiraling down hill. Noelle is up, Lets see what the plan is.