Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Ashling Canavan

I sat awkwardly as everyone began to mingle. I was uncomfortable with the fact that I couldn’t see Blakely or Louis as they talked to the brown, curly haired boy. He could easily be killing them right now. We’ll not easily, but he could be. I may have been the first one to step up to following Niall in the building, but now I was wishing weren’t in here. I felt trapped. If the vamps found us now, we’re practically be trapped.

My eye glanced around the room, inspecting all of the people. Liam and Danielle were cozied on into the couch giggling about something. The way Liam looked at her made my heart fluttered. They we’re truly blessed to have a relationship in these times. Next my eyes settled on the girl they called Perrie, who was sitting in the corner fingers intertwined with the dark haired boy. I believe his name was Zayn. They weren’t at ease but it was obvious that they were still enjoying themselves.

Lastly I settled on watching my little sister smile and giggle as Andy told her stories. El was settled in right behind her playing with Sam’s hair. Watching them have fun almost made me forget about what was going on outside. I let out a deep sigh. I was happy that I had my sisters but I would still like to have someone to hold my hand when times got rough.

“Here,” I jumped a little as Niall came out of nowhere. “Calm down, there aren’t any vamps down here.” He smirked and I could feel the blood rushing to my face. Gently he looked at my hands, inspecting what he would need. He got up and went over to a cabinet and grabbed some disinfectants and gauze. “This might hurt a little.” I nodded as he began to clean my hands off. I gasped in pain as the burns began to seer in pain. He finished with the first hand and began to work on the second one.

“Niall! What in bloody hell are you doing?” I was so distracted by the pain that I hadn’t noticed my sister, Louie and that boy come back into the room. He surely did not look very happy with what Niall was doing.

“What does it look like I’m doing’ Harry?” Niall paid no mind to the displeasure covering Harry’s voice. “If they’re going to be stayin’ here, she’ll be better use ta us if she has hands. Don’t ya think?” I tried my best to not laugh at the sarcasm covering his voice.

“Lovely. Now we’ve blown the medical supplies you just got.” Harry began to pace back and forth like a child throwing a tantrum. “What did she even do to get those wounds? Was it a fight with Vamps? Is she infected?” I watched as Blake’s hands began to form into fist. The next person to speak threw us all off.

“She was trying to find a cure.” Harry stared at Sam with a look of stupor. “She’s gotten really close a couple times just like this last time. But when she tried to show us the cure, she burned her hands and broke the beaker.” She was pulled out my newly tattered notebook and supplies to show him. Harry grabbed the book and began to inspect the numbers and formulas, or what was left of them. After what seemed like a lifetime he began to speak.

“I’m sorry that I just assumed the worst.” He wouldn’t make eye contact with any of us; he just stared at the ground. It was as if Sam had guilt him. He handed me my notebook and I looked at for the first time since my explosion earlier today. I felt like punching myself. Half of it wasn’t even legible anymore.

“I’m so stupid.” As if my body needed to prove its stupidity to the rest of the group I let my head fall onto my hands. I hissed in pain as my head made contact with my sensitive hands.

“Uh, if you guys want to take showers there’s a bathroom with a shower and tub at the end of the hall.” With that harry walked back into his room and shut the door. For a few moments we just looked at the door half expecting him to come back out.

“The water isn’t that warm but it’s wate-“ Before Zayn could even get the end of his sentence out Blake and Louis were running down the hall. Bickering at each other.

“I’m getting the first shower Lou.” They were pushing their way through the door trying to push the other out.

“Like bloody hell you are.” They’re little fight went on for a solid five minutes until Louis used the kill line.

“Fine if we cant settle this we’ll just have to shower together.” He unbuttoned his shorts and shimmied them down to his ankles.

“Fine its yours!” Blake said in defeat, as she escaped from his nakedness.

I rolled my eyes at their bickering, and thought about how amazing a shower was going to be. We seriously. Hadn't been able to wash ourselves in such a long time. My excitement was cut short by my realization that there was no way I could turn the shower on or wash my self. I sighed but the fact that it would be there when my hands healed was comforting.

"We draw you a bath if you want. The actual cleaning part wont happen but the water will help." Eleanor's kind tone made me smile. Out of the new additions to the group I definitely liked her the most.

"That would actually be really nice." I replied with a smile. It was nice that she wasn't particularly sketched out by our presence. She had the same opinion as me; no point in helping our own extinction.

"I'll fill the tub once everyone else has gotten a shower." with that she skipped over to go talk to Louie. Distracted by everything els that was going on, I completely forgot of Niall's presence. He was looking off into the distance, clearly zoned out. He curled a strand of his hair in index and middle fingers.

After a couple minutes he finally noticed me staring at him, and greeted me with a warming smile. I wasn't sure why but something about him was just warming. We started to ask each other questions about anything and everything. Favorite colors, favorite food, favorite music, just about anything you could think of we talked about. We talked until El told me that my bath was ready. Once in the bathroom I slowly and carefully began to peel my cloths off.

I slid into the tub, enjoying the fresh water even though it wasn't warm. Something about just sitting the water was nice. I looked at my hands, seeing where the skin was severely burned. Anger filled my body again as I realized I was now the weakest link in this group. Even when my hands were better, my shot was going to be off by the lack of practice. I balled up my fist and slammed it against the concrete wall, instantly regretting my decision.

Blood oozed from my closed hand, and slowly dripped ingot the water. I stood up in the now ruined water, and stepped out of the tub. Using my better hand I wrapped a towel around my body. My hand wasn't bleeding much but it was enough to not want to wrap it up yet. I sucked in a deep breath, and stuck my hand underwater. The cuts seared with pain, as I fought back the tears. Finally the bleeding subsided and I emptied out the water.

I pulled up my clothes and exited the bathroom, passing everyone without a word. It was obvious they heard what I did, but no one wanted to bother me.
" You and Sam are staying in leprechaun's room, he gave it up until we can make other sleeping arrangements." I picked up my backpack, wincing from the pain, and walked into the room they pointed me too.

These next couple weeks were going to be a challenge for me and it was obvious. I just wanted to go to sleep and start fresh tomorrow. I could hear Louis and Blake talking outside the door, telling people that I would be fine in the morning, and that Sam was going to sleep with her and Louis tonight. Slowly I let sleep take over my body, relaxing me completely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's next chapter. Ash really seems to be struggling with being one of the weakest links, will she be able to get over that?
Up next is Noelle!