The Poet Sings

one

"Who's moving in next door?" Brooke said quietly as she watched a few men lift up boxes and bring them into the house.

"I don't know. Should I ask to help them and find out?" Brendan asked his little sister, he wanted to see if these guys were good.

Brooke shrugged, "sure, I'm going to head inside anyways. It's freezing out here." Her shivering proved it.

The little sister watched outside from a window in the living room. She knew she looked like a creep, but kept watching anyways. There were three guys, two had dark brown hair and one had lighter brown. They were all fit and strong, and probably didn't need Brendan's help. But they all gladly accepted the help and got done in a half hour.

Brendan shouted something over to the other house as he started walking back. He opened the door. "Hey, want to go over there for dinner?"

She looked down at her sweatpants and sweatshirt. She shrugged, "I don't know."

"You can change if you want, we don't have to be there until 6:00."

Brooke muttered a quick fine then jogged to her room. She decided on some jeans and a simple Minnesota Gophers shirt. She put on her Northface jacket then jogged back down the stairs.

Her problems in the past had prevented her from trusting people outside her family and a few friends. She was also now more quiet, and keeping everything to herself. Brooke wished that she trusted more people and was more outgoing like she used to be, but that probably won't happen. Back before him came along, she was a cheerleader, popular, and just smart and would get good grades. Now, she was doing nothing, quiet, and her grades were in the toilet.

Their neighbors' house was warm and comfortable. There were boxes everywhere though, but at least there wasn't like garbage or anything scattered around the place. Some guy named Jordan opened the door and showed the siblings around the house. Once they saw everything, she got introduced to his friends, Taylor and Ryan. Brooke knew they looked familiar, but just couldn't out her tongue on it. Well they ordered a cheese pizza and decided to play some video games in the living room. There was only four controllers so Brooke decided to sit out and watch as they played Mario Kart.

In the middle of the game Ryan's phone went off. He asked Brooke to take her place so she did. She just wanted to be nice. They ended up playing two more games before Ryan finally came back. Taylor was ths first to ask who that was.

Ryan sighed and rolled him eyes. "Melanie."

"Oh yikes.. what'd she have to say?"

"That she was sorry." He quoted with his hands. "I'm so sick of her."

Jordan and Taylor nodded in agreement while Brooke and Brendan just exchanged glances since they had to clue as to what they were talking about. Soon the pizza got there which broke the awkwardness that came over the group. Brooke went to the kitchen to get everybody glasses of some rootbeer. She struggled to open it. Someone entered the kitchen.

"Here, let me help." Ryan said as he grabbed the bottle from her. They lightly touched hands, which caused Brooke to jerk back. Ryan looked at her confused as he handed her the now open bottle.

"Thanks." Her voice was barley above a whisper.
Ryan just nodded and smiled slightly as he grabbed the ranch dressing and headed back in the room.

Brooke sighed and rubbed her forehead, then started pouring the rootbeer into cups for eveyone.



"So did any of you get any information about that cute girl, Brooke?" Ryan asked as he sat down on the couch by his friends. He had to leave before Brooke and Brendan left because his coach wanted to talk to him about certain things for games and practices. Nothing out of the ordinary for him.

"Awe, you think she cute?" Taylor batted his eyelashes to look all dreamy, Ryan then threw a pillow at his face.

Jordan spoke up, "she was cute. But you're right, Nugget. Something is different about her. I mean, she barley talked all night and didn't join us when we had a pillow fight!"

"Yeah," Taylor then agreed, "who wouldn't want to have a pillow fight with two incredibly hot hockey players?!"

"This is serious, Hall." Ryan gave him a warning look. "And when I was in the kitchen I accidentally brushed my hand against hers and she acted like I was going to punch her or something."

Jordan and Taylor both agreed on that.

"Well then why don't you find out, you seem to like her." Taylor wiggled his eyebrows at Ryan, and he blushed a deep shade of red.

That was just what he was going to do.



Ryan waited by the window in front of his house the next day. He probably looked like a weirdo to cars that passed by, but he didn't care. He was waiting for Brooke to come out so he could ask her out to lunch for tomorrow. The door opened and he quickly turned to see if it was her.

Sure enough, she was walking out in jeans and tight fitting sweatshirt. Her hair was up in a bun on top of her head as she quickly made way to her car. The cold wind was biting at the exposed skin. Ryan jumped into action as he ran outside and blocked Brooke's way, so she couldn't get in the car.

"Excuse me." She said in a quiet voice, once again.

"Hey, Brooke." Ryan smiled at her politely. He noticed she was looking at the ground so he just decided to ask, "so I was wondering if you would like to go to lunch with me tomorrow?"

Brooke instantly shook her head, "n-no thanks."

"Please? It would seriously make my day. I really want to get to know you better." Brooke cringed. That's how it all started. That's what he said.

She looked up into his gray eyes and her heart started to melt. Her mouth became dry when she tried to talk, so she simply nodded.

A flood of relief came over him. "Awesome, meet me at Toby's around noonish if that's fine with you."

Again, Brooke nodded. Ryan said goodbye to her and she waved weakly as she got into her car. She groaned once the door was shut and leaned her head on the steering wheel. She couldn't risk to have the same mistake happen twice, but just like the first time, she melted into the guy's hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated!

Brooke Hansen

Brendan Hansen