The Poet Sings

eleven

"Yay I'm going to a Wild game!" Brooke shrieked from the backseat of Taylor Hall's car. Taylor, Jordan, and Ryan were driving Brooke and Brendan to the game where they would be facing the Minnesota Wild, also known as where the siblings grew up.

"Shut up, you say that every two minutes," Taylor groaned from the drivers seat.

"Don't tell my girlfriend to shut up," Ryan defended her and put his arm around her shoulders. Brooke leaned into him and smiled triumphantly.

"You two are so romantic it's disgusting," Jordan made a face from beside them and tried to look out the window.

"At least you don't have to live with her," Brendan pointed out.

"At least you don't have to live with him!" Jordan protested. "All he does is talk about how much he loves her."

"Awe," Brooke looked up at Ryan and puckered her lips to him, which he gladly set his lips on hers. Everyone groaned.

Ryan grabbed Brooke's hand as they entered the arena. When they got to the locker room she sat in his stall as they guys did their stretches and warm ups before putting on the gear. Brendan and Brooke had to leave once they finished and Taylor handed them their tickets which were right by the Oilers bench.

"Good luck baby," Brooke hugged and kissed him before she left.

"So you like Ryan?"

"Well obviously," Brooke chuckled at her brother and rolled her eyes.

"He's good for you, and even though I don't like admitting it cause you're my sister, it is honestly cute."

Brooke nudged him with her elbow as they sat down in their seats. "Awe, look who's a softie now!"

The game had finally started, and it wasn't looking good for the Oilers. A former Oiler, Kyle Brodziak, scored within a minute and it deflated the crowd, slightly losing hope. The game continued and late in the first, Nail scored. In the second it was all Minnesota who scored, including one of Brooke's favorite, Charlie Coyle, but she wasn't going to tell any of the guys that. During the third, both teams got two goals. Even though they lost 5-3, Brooke was still happy, but she wasn't planning on telling the guys that she was secretly rooting for the Wild.

Down in the lobby of the dressing room, Brooke and Brendan waved to the players that were leaving.

"Brooke!" Someone called to her, which made her crank her head around the corner of the hallway. She saw her boyfriend running down the hall, hair flopping everywhere. "Do you want to meet the Wild players?"

Her face explained it all. "Seriously? Are you serious cause if you aren't I will kill you," her face held no emotion as she gripped onto his shoulders.

He laughed out loud. "Yes I'm serious. Now com'on!"

Brooke wasted no time. She followed him through the mazes of hallways and when they got to the away team locker room door, she nearly passed out. Ryan continued to laugh as Brooke got angrier and angrier because he wasn't opening the door.

A staff member from the Wild opened the door which caused Brooke to yell, "ha!" Before she ran into the locker room. Eyes all on her, she stopped dead in her tracks and looked back to see if Ryan was coming. He walked in slowly, smirking.

He put his hand on her back as he spoke, "hey guys, Jonas," he nodded his head to the young defenseman, "this is my girlfriend, Brooke, and she's a huge fan."

"So you were cheering for us right?" Darcy Kuemper, who was their back up goalie at the time, asked in giddiness.

"Um.." she thought about it at first. "Yeah, I was!"
"Hurtful!" Ryan mocked and held a hand over his heart. "How dare my girlfriend go behind my back."

The brunette just rolled her eyes and back handed him in the stomach.

"She abuses me!" He teased and made her come over to Jonas Brodin's stall.

Jonas was one of the only people on the team that Ryan knew, and that was just because they both got drafted in the same year. It was Taylor who knew most of them actually.

The team was nice as expected, and also quite the comedians. Charlie Coyle actually slipped his number in the back pocket of Brooke's jeans when Ryan wasn't looking.

"Quite the player huh? Guess you missed the memo," Brooke laughed and shook her head, referring to her being taken. All Charlie did was smile cheekily.

Walking outside the arena, Brooke and Ryan's mouth both formed into an 'o' shape as they realized they didn't have a ride back home.

"Hitch hiking!" Brooke pretended to cheer. Walking was one of the last things she wanted to do; she was tired and all she wanted to do was crawl under the covers of her own bed.

Ryan took her hand in his as they walked down the street. The house wasn't to far from the arena, but it was a long walk. And the guys were either out already, or they were sleeping. Time flew away when they were talking to some of the opponents.

Brooke laughed at a joke Ryan said and started to stumble a little bit. Her legs were staring to ache and they still had more than fifteen minutes of walking left. Luckily it wasn't all that cold so they wouldn't be icicles when returned home.

"My stomach hurts, stop Ry," her head back in laughter. "And my legs, and whole body."

"Let me see the puck and I'll give you a piggy back ride," Ryan tried to compromise.

Brooke whined, "no."

Ryan took the signed puck from her grip and read all the signatures, then laughed at Charlie's. "Hey beaut," he read aloud. "Oh, he's something."
"Yes he is. Now give it back it's mine!" She tried to reach up and get it from over his head.

Ryan tossed it to the other side of the street which earned a glare from Brooke.

"Thanks a lot," her mood suddenly dark.

She stomped her way to the other side of the street and picked up the puck. Ryan was on the other side watching her carefully, but Brooke was to mad to even care about it. As she was making her way back, her phone slipped out of her jacket pocket so she kneeled down in the street and picked it up. As she was standing up, bright head lights blinded her and tires screeching pierced her cold ears.

The last thing she heard was an aching, panicked voice.

"Brooke, no!"