The Poet Sings

twelve

Ryan climbed into the ambulance and clutched Brooke's hand for dear life. Regret was kicking in as it finally hit him. I basically killed my girlfriend. I made her go across the street. I didn't warn her in time for the car. This is all my fault. Every ounce of it is my fault. Her hand was starting to feel cold and Ryan couldn't help but have a few tears slip from his eyes. Brendan sat next to him, but by her head as she stroked her hair.

Getting to the hospital, everything was a whirlwind. Next thing he knew, Ryan was being informed that Brooke just had a surgery on her right arm, and that she had a pretty deep cut on her forehead that needed stitches. But it could have been worse, that's what the doctors said. Now, Ryan was just waiting patiently with the rest of the guys for when they could enter the room.

Brendan came back into the waiting room from talking to his mom, when the nurse came in. "Two people may come see Brooke."

They exchanged glances before Jordan spoke up for everyone. "Brendan and Ryan can go in first, we'll see her after."

Before Ryan could open the door, Brendan stopped him.

"Maybe you should talk to her alone."

Ryan did a quick nod in appreciance.

The hospital room was all white and gloomy. It basically screamed, please kill me now. With the faded curtains that needed to be washed real soon, you could say this room was depressing. And the worst of all, was a young teenage girl who didn't need to spend her night like this, laying on the bed.

From the noise of the door opening, Brooke cracked opened her eyes to see Ryan walk in alone. His eyes were bloodshot. As soon as he saw her, he rushed over to her side and held her hand.

"Brooke, I'm-"

"Ryan, it wasn't your fault," her voice cracked with every word. "Baby," she brought his head to her chest as tears made their way down his face. "It wasn't your fault."

They stayed like that for some time before Brooke had to at least bring some humor into the situation.

"If I would have never got hurt, then Taylor wouldn't have met that nurse that works here. Trust me I heard them talking about him."

Ryan snorted and disconnected himself from her. "Well, I think your brother wants to see you."

After everyone had seen that Brooke was okay, she was finally able to go to sleep. It had been a tiring night, that's for sure. She felt bad for Ryan. He took it out on him when he wasn't the cause for it.

The next day, Brooke was able to go home. She just spent most of the day in her best resting, since she was also still sore. Nothing happened over the next few days. She watched the game on tv, of course, but mostly just sat in bed or on the couch and read.

Someone knocked on the door that Saturday night. Brendan was out with his girlfriend, and the guys were suppose to be getting home, but they would be tired.

"It's unlocked!" Brooke honestly didn't care who came through that door.

The person opened the door, but Brooke was too trained on the show that was playing. The guest stood in front of her, blocking the view.

"Ryan," she whined and tried to push him away with her good hand. "Move! I'm trying to watch this!"

He only laughed and moved her legs and sat on the couch. "How are you feeling?"

"Good. Only sometimes when the book that I'm reading falls down at hits my arm. That hurts."

Ryan continued to rub her legs for a few minutes before crawling on top of her. As he was kissing her, he asked, "where's Brendan tonight?"

"Out with his girlfriend," she mumbled as he kissed her neck. She bit back a moan.

"For the night?"

All she could do was nod.



"Ryan!" They yelled out, dragging him name. "We know you're here! We have practice in an hour, hurry up!"

Brooke rolled onto her stomach, while Ryan shot up. He gathered his clothes quickly then went over to Brooke. She was snoring slightly so he bent down and kissed her head. After scribbling the note, he rushed downstairs to meet Jordan and Taylor.

Brooke woke up a couple hours later and realized that Ryan wasn't in bed with her anymore. Oh great, was I that bad? She reached over onto her nightstand to get her phone and saw a note on it.

had practice in the morning, sorry I forgot. Love you, xx
-Ryan

A wave of relief washed over her visibly. She stood up and walked over to the bathroom. Peeking inside Brendan's room, she saw it was empty. Once Brooke was showered up and dressed, she went down to the kitchen for some breakfast. Her head was now unbandaged, so the stitches stuck out and it was disgusting. Now she was even more self conscious. Wrapped up in her own thoughts, she didn't notice when some of the players walked into the room.

"I love the blue cast. It's for the Oilers right?"

"Oh, you know it," she responded to Nail and set down the bowl full of milk in the kitchen sink. "What are you guys doing here on this lovely day?"

"I thought we could go to a picnic!" Exclaimed Taylor.

"Yeah, sure."

A half hour later they were at the park, blankets spread out everywhere with everyone digging into their lunchbox. Apparently they planned on going anyway whether Brooke wanted to or not.

"I'll trade you my banana for your apple!" Ryan Jones offered, well more like whined, to Magnus Paajarvi.

"No deal man."

"Please I don't like bananas! Give me your apple!"

"Then why did you pack an banana?" Sam Gagner interrupted with a laugh.

"I didn't, Hemsky did.. and he knows I don't like them!"

Ales doubled over in laughter while everyone watched this crazy scene unfold. Brooke, and even Nail or Nuge, thought they would be used to everyones crazy antics or sense of humor, but in all honestly, they weren't. The three shared a glance with each other and continued to eat as Jones, Hemsky, and Maggie all fought over that stupid banana.

"Okay, I'll give you my apple if Jordan spells banana successfully."

Jordan looked horrified. "I can't! You know I don't know how to spell it!"

"Well, that sucks," Maggie replied smirking, then took a bite of the apple.

The more times she hung out with the players, the weirder they got. And she couldn't have it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
My Stanley Cup prediction was the Montreal Canadiens and now I'm a little sad.