The Poet Sings

fourteen

A hand was gently rubbing Brooke's back as she woke up the next morning. Her eyes hardly opening and she could easily tell it was Ryan just by the smell of him. As creepy ad that sounds. She mumbled and shoved her face in the pillow. Ryan laughed at her and stood up off the bed.

"We have to get up, breakfast is calling."

"Breakfast?" Brooke repeated, slightly moving her head to look over at Ryan.

"Yes, now you go get dressed and I'll prepare your plate."

Brooke made a face and then forced her body to move out of the warm, comfortable bed. She went to the bathroom and brushed her hair and teeth then went down to the kitchen area. She was wrapped up in the blanket from the bed because the coldness of the room bit at her skin. Ryan was smiling slightly next to her as they both ate soundlessly. After they were done they put the dishes in the sink then went up stairs to get dressed.

Ryan wore a pair of jeans and a simple Oilers shirt while Brooke just dressed in black sweatpants and a grey v neck. Her day was going to be spent sitting at home alone all day with maybe her brother.

Most of the Oilers were leaving today or had already left. It was pretty sad for Brooke because now she was going to basically be alone everyday. She really needed to find some other friends that would be there all year round.

They had to stop back home to grab Ryan's bags and then transition cars. Brooke was going to drop him off at the airport.

While Ryan carried out some bags Brooke went inside to use the bathroom first. Brendan was sitting on the couch when she entered.

"Hey sis, haven't seen you around," he glanced over to her way.

"Could say the same thing about you."

He smirked. "Yeah, I've been hanging around with Blakely. Oh, she's coming over tomorrow for dinner and I was hoping that you would meet her. Ya know, you have no where else to be."

Brooke scoffed. "Oh shut up. I'll meet your girlfriend."

"Good, you'll clean up this place right?"

"When did you become such a dick?"

He made a face and mocked her as she ran to the bathroom that was in the hallway.

Once in the car, Ryan cranked up the radio to make the awkward silence they were having to go away. When that didn't help he decided to start up a simple conversation. Or at least he thought it was simple.

"So what are you going to do this summer?"

Oh, I don't know. Sit home all day doing nothing but wish it was winter again so my only friends would return?

As much as Brooke wanted to say that, she didn't. "Probably just spend time with Brendan and his girlfriend. I'll go home too."

"That's fun. I have to do camps all summer, you're the lucky one."

"Says the one who makes thousands of dollars," Brooke laughed and continued to drive.

Soon the car pulled up to the airport. The spring breeze hit the two of them as they tugged the bags out of Brooke's little car. Once he had the three bags in his hands, he smiled over to her. He leaned in and gave her a long kiss.

"I'll miss you Brookie. Remember to call me everyday."

She smiled slightly at him standing there. "Of course I will."

Another kiss later, Ryan headed into the airport doors to get on his way back to Burnaby. Brooke stared at the cloosed doors for several minutes after he had walked into them. Yes, she was sad that Ryan left already. Now she had no one to cuddle up with at nights.

All of a sudden Ryan flew out of the doors and ran over to Brooke. Everything he said to her in those short seconds, meant so much to her. And then when it was her time to respond, she didn't regret what she said.

"I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
The promise ring