The Poet Sings

fifteen

The summer air was muggy that day. Brooke felt her shorts sticking to her as she ran through a path in the park. The same path she always had. The brunette was dodging people every second, apparently people also thought the same idea of exercise. Just as she turned a sharp corner, a body connected with hers. She fell back, luckily not hitting her head. Though her butt did hurt.

"I'm sorry," a man grabbed her hands to help her up off the ground.

Brooke shook her head "it's fine, don't worry about it."

The man smiled at her. Brooke had to admit, he was extremely attractive. "I'm Evander."

"Brooke," they shook hands.

She saw something in his eyes, and that scared her a litte. So before he could try anything she excused herself. She felt Evander's eyes on her as she jogged away from him. He actually seemed nice, but the part that scared her was he was another man and Ryan was still apart of her life. No matter how much it would be a relief to have a boyfried in town..

"You're back!" Mia, Brendan's girlfriend, sung from the kitchen, preparing lunch for everyone. "Why do you have that look on your face?"

Brooke's eyes were slightly wide, her face looked like she had just seen Brendan naked. "I ran into a guy at the park," she responded and sat on a stool at the island.

"Was he cute?" Mia's eyes lit up.

Brooke chuckled. "Yes, very. But I can't do anything anymore and it's getting very annoying."

"Why don't you just break up with Ryan?"

"I don't want too. I mean, okay it sucks right now, but he's amazing when were together and the perfect boyfriend and everything like that."

Mia sighed and stopped cutting fruit to look directly at her. "This is going to happed every summer."

Brooke eyed the strawberry in front of her, anything to not look at her dark brown eyes. "I know, and he hasn't called me in three days. What am I suppose to do?"

"You call him. See what he's doing."

Brooke took her word of advice and went up stairs to her room to have some privacy. The phone rung, but no one answered it. She sighed and tried again.

"Hey Ryan, I haven't talked to you in a while. I'm missing you babe, call me back. Love you," she left the message then dropped on her bed. This was one of the last things she wanted to happen. Having Ryan forget about her, but then pretend that everything would be okay when he came back for winter.

An hour had past and Mia felt the need to go to Brooke and make sure she was okay, but she had to talk to Brendan first.

"Do you know anything about Ryan and Brooke?"
He laughed, "she tells you more than she tells me."

Mia nodded then sat down on the couch next to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and leaning her head on his shoulder. "I'm just worried about her. He hasn't talked to her, and I think she's getting.. anxious."

He shrugged. "Well, they're hockey players in the summer. They have training and everything like that."

"She met some guy in the park today."

"Oh," was all he could say at first. "Do you think that.. that she likes him?"

"I don't know," Mia laughed. "She just said he was cute."

Brendan relaxed slightly. Mia started asking questions about their relationship when he was here and what he would do. Brendan filled her in on everything he knew about the couple. After, Mia walked up to Brooke's room.

She softly knocked on the wooden door. She heard shuffling from inside then a quick come in. The blankets were wrapped around Brooke and she was watching some animated movie. The lights were turned off so Mia couldn't really see anything, especially since it was storming outside.

"Hey baby girl how are you?"

"Fine," Brooke coughed and buried even further in the buddle of blankets.

Mia took a seat next to Brooke and looked at her. "Why are you crying?" Tears streamed around her face as she continually wiped them away with a tissue.

"He won't answer his phone."

"That doesn't mean anything, he probably has practice or something." She rubbed her back soothingly. "Have you talked to any of the other guys?"

"Jordan and Taylor are doing other camps,"she sighed. "I don't know about the rest."

"Maybe you could call them?"

The two girls watched the rest of the movie and soon fell asleep. They both woke up around eight and decided to go out for some ice cream. Brendan didn't feel like going so it was just going to be them. When they got to the little ice cream shop they told the worker what they wanted. Brooke just got regular chocolate while Mia got vanilla raspberry.

The worker handed the cup to Brooke and she turned around to walk back to her seat. Instead she made yet another collision with someone.

"I am so sorry." The man with a familiar voice rushed to go get napkins from the dispenser on the counter.

She looked up and saw Evander standing there and smiled slightly.

He laughed at the second meeting between the two. "Wow, hopefully this isn't how were going to meet each other every time."

Brooke joined in and placed another order for her ice cream that now was on her white tank.

"Hey let me pay for that, it's the least I could do."

"No," Brooke protested, "I should've looked where I was going. I can pay for it."

He heald out a twenty though for the worker then ordered his. She was about to say something but Evander just gave her a lopsided grin and a shrug. Once the ice cream was handed to her she walked to the table that Mia picked out.

Mia's mouth was hung open and she stared at the women across from her.

"Close your mouth, your going to get flies."

She stuck her tongue out. "That's Evander? He's cute!"

Brooke nodded, "you think? He's really nice too. He paid for mine!"

Mia laughed, "I think someone likes you!"

They continued to eat and before they got up to leave Evander came over to the table. He shot both of them smiles before turning to Brooke completely.

"Can I get your number? You seem really cool and it would be fun to hangout sometime and-"

"You're rambling," Brooke laughed and took out her phone, handing it over to him. "But yeah, sure." This time she didn't feel regret to talking to Evander.

After he walked away, she turned to Mia.

"Yeah, he so likes you."



"So hows your girl?"

"Hm?" Ryan asked Matt Duchene as they jogged their mile for the last of their practice.

"You're girly friend," he responded in a weird, high voice. "How is she?"

Ryan didn't even know how he know about Brooke; he didn't tell anyone there. "Fine I guess," he shrugged and rounded a corner around a tree. "I actually haven't talked to her in awhile."

He whistled low. "I would call her soon, she's probably mad at you!"

Ryan just rolled his eyes and entered the building to get a drink of water then go back to his hotel room. He took a shower then decided to watch a movie for the night before he went to bed.

He glanced over at the phone on the table next to him. Ryan forgot it here today and wasn't able to see if anyone called or texted him. Hearing Brooke's voice made him smile. He wanted to call her back, he really did, but it was now late and she had to be alseep.

Little did he know she was actually wide awake, talking to another man.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, oh my god. I feel mean.
I AM SO MAD AT THE BLACKHAWS RIGHT NOW, LIKE???? WHAT ARE THEY DOING???? sorry, I just had to let that out ugh.
Oh and I'm writing a Shaw story right now hehe.

Thanks to all you subs, 50 ! And also you wonderful people who comment!

Mia

Evander