The Poet Sings

seventeen

"It's probably nothing," Mia comforted the distraught women beside her. Who had been crying for nearly two hours now. "That picture means nothing."

Brooke couldn't help but cry even harder as that picture flashed through her mind every second. Without the flash of the camera, no one would have been able to make out the two figures, but there was a flash and people could easily make out the floppy dark brown hair, and baby face features as him. It was clear as day.

When Brooke saw that picture, she nearly threw up. She should have seen it coming though. He was in a new city with women one hundred times better than her. Sure, that definitely wasn't confident, but she just wanted to be prepared for a situation like this. Nothing could have prepared her.

Mia ran her fingers through Brooke's hair and tried to calm her down. Her suggestions of calling him got shot down right away.

"He probably doesn't even want to talk to me."

That was her response to everything. Brendan was upset and honestly had no clue how to deal with this, so he left to to 'get groceries' and let the two girls talk this over and discuss it.

When he returned an hour later Brooke was still on the couch crying, and he simply put the food in its respected places and made a beeline to his room.

Mia continued to rub her back soothingly, while trying to get her feelings back to being better. Even though Mia didn't know Ryan personally, she knew that he was a good guy and was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I have to get going to work for my night shift," Mia said and stood up. Brooke had literally been crying the entire day.

She wiped her eyes and hugged Mia. "Thank you for everything."

The blonde smiled slightly. "No problem. I'll be over around noon sometime, but Brendan and I are going for lunch. After though, tell me everything."

"Everything?"

"I know one of you is going to break, so tell me."

Brooke grinned and wrapped her in another hug before walking up to her room. She decided to try to get some sleep since today honestly made her tired. Everything in the house was silent. Brooke started to squirm around and toss the blankets; she hates silence. It made her think way to much.

She turned on soft music and let it lull her into sleep.

Four hours later, Brooke awoke with a pounding headache. Her music was still playing, and even though she could hardly hear it, it still hurt her head.

She squinted at the clock, which read midnight. Something knocked downstairs, and even though she was tired, she had to see what it was.

Brendan was standing there, fixing himself a bowl of chips. His hair was tossed everywhere.

"Why are you up?" Asked Brooke as she took a seat across from him at the table.

He shrugged, "I'm worried."

"About?"

"You." He chomped on a barbeque chip. "You cried so much today, I'm scared for you. Have you talked to Evander?"

She shook her head. "I'm scared. He always tells me that he could be a better boyfriend, and I ask why, then he says because he'll always be here. I don't really know what he means by that, but I can take a guess now." Brooke explained while her brother just listened. "I guess I'm scared that he'll rub it in my face or something."

"He would never rub it in your face. He's a nice guy. Well I say get some sleep, call Ryan," before Brooke could protest he held up his hand, "it will help, trust me. No matter how it ends up, you'll feel better in the long run."

Brooke stood up, as well as Brendan, and then hugged him tight. "Thanks Bren. I love you."

"Love you too."



Was she scared to talk to him? Terrified.

Ryan was her safe haven. They'd only known each other for half of a year, but he proved to be better than everyone else. He cared for her, he loved her. That was what every women looked for in a guy.

She was more scared that she was going to lose him than actually just talking to him about the situation. The brunette sat around thinking all day about what she was going to and say.

Once the time that Ryan got out of practice rolled around, she went outside on the porch. Even if things got heated, the warm breeze that softly blew around her would be able to calm her down.

"Hey Brooke! I've missed you." The sound of Ryan's voice this happy and unknowing made Brooke go in a tizzy.

"Ryan," she started hesitantly, "listen, I'm just going to get to the point."

"Okay?"

"I- I saw that picture. The picture of you wi- with another women," she cringed as tears threatened to fall. "So is it true?"

"What's true? Brooke, what's going on?"

"Don't tell me you don't know, Ryan." The breeze started to stop its effect on her. "You know exactly what I'm talking about." No response. Tears fell that she couldn't stop and soon it was a sob.

"No, no why are you crying? I didn't do anything with anyone."

"It was a couple days ago," she cried even harder.

Ryan thought back and then remembered the one women at the club. But he brushed her away and left. "I swear I didn't do anything, Brooke. Gabe made me dance with her. You know I would never do anything like that."

"Oh really? And why should I believe you?"

"Because I'm your boyfriend, and I would never cheat on you." He was starting to get mad thinking about Evander. "And my girlfriend should never cheat on me."

"What? I have never cheated on you." She sniffled.

"Then what's going on with your little friend? The one that basically replaced me while I'm not there."

"Ry, he'll never replace you."

"Bullshit! You've probably already slept with him!" Anger got the best of him though, and he couldn't control what was flying out of his mouth.

"Are you serious? You basically called me a slut. I've never been intimate with him."

"I don't think we're working out anymore, Brooke. You know, take a break."

The line went dead and Brooke stared at her phone in her hands. Brendan's wise words of feeling better in the long run, definitely weren't helping right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, this was one of the worst chapters I had ever written. I knew I wanted them to break up, but I didn't exactly know how to put it. I re-wrote it like five times haha.

Hope this didn't disappoint though

Comments? :)