Status: Completed

It's You.

1/1

“Liam, please just go.” She said to me, pushing me away from her. “Mel, please just let me explain.” I begged. She shook her head as the tears fell from her bright green eyes. “Just leave.” She responded, pointing to the door. I silently walked towards the door, my heart breaking with each step. I turned to look at her once more before I left. She had her back turned to me but I could tell she was crying. “I love you Melly.” I whispered softly before walking out of the flat. As I walked towards my car, I could feel my heart shatter more with each step I took. I cannot believe that I just lost my best friend, and the girl that I love, all in a matter of minutes. Maybe I should explain. My name is Liam Payne, I’m twenty-three years old, and I’m in love with my best friend. Her name is Melissa Christine York; but to me, she’s my Melly. We’ve been friends since we she moved next door to my family in Wolverhampton when we were seven years old. Mel and I have been through everything together; first dates, fights, illness, my career, her moving to London just a few minutes from me, etc. Yet through it all, our relationship has never faltered and over time, I guess I fell in love with her. She doesn’t feel the same way however, and it’s all HIS fault. Who is he? He is her fiancée, Noah Sutton. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice guy but he’ll never love Mel like I do. But she’s marrying him tomorrow. Now you’re probably wondering why she kicked me out of her house to begin with. Well let’s go back about twenty minutes ago.

Twenty Minutes Before
“Ugh! The wedding is tomorrow and I still haven’t written my vows!” she said in frustration as we sat in her living room going over last minute details. I gave a small smile and chuckled. “Just say what you feel. You love him. I know you’ll figure it out.” I reassured her, even though I felt a pang of jealousy in my heart. “I don’t know Lee, it shouldn’t be this hard.” She replied. I smiled and stood up. “Stand up.” I said sweetly, extending my hand out for her to take. “Why, what are we doing?” she asked. I chuckled. “Just do it Melly.” I replied. She sighed, taking my hand as she stood up. “Now, just pretend I’m Noah and recite your vows.” I said as she stood facing me, her beautiful green eyes staring into my brown ones. I felt my knees weaken but I didn’t let it show; doing my best to control the feelings that were causing my heart to beat thirty times faster than normal. She looked at me weird, but shrugged. She held both of my hands in her own as she began to speak.

“Noah, from the day we met, you’ve had my heart in your hands. I love how whenever you’re around, I feel happier than I’ve ever been. You are always pushing me to do my best and have given me the strength to believe in myself. You make me laugh, even when all I want to do is cry. I love you so much.” She said sincerely. I felt my heart flutter and slowly fall again when I remembered that she was only talking to me as though I were Noah. I began to think to myself…Hadn’t I done all of those things for her? Pushing her to be her best, helping her believe in herself? Wasn’t I that person? “Liam, could you pretend to be Noah and say his vows?” She asked. I looked up and slowly nodded at her, while she just smiled at me. “If I were Noah…” I said as I looked into her deep green eyes before I started speaking. “Mel, my light, my star, my reason for living. From the first second I met you; I knew you were the one who was going to capture my heart. You bring out the sunshine on those cloudy days. You’re my inspiration; the true, beautiful meaning to the songs I sing. Without you in my life, I’d be lost and there would be no reason for me to keep on living. I promise to love you, cherish you, and care for you til the very end of eternity. I love you so much, my Melly.” I finished my heart racing. I looked into her eyes, waiting for her to respond. However, she was slowly leaning in, and so was I. Before I could stop myself, our lips were intertwined in a time stopping kiss.

I held her close as she ran her fingers through my hair. This felt so real, so right. However, this feeling was cut short when she pushed me away, both of us breathing heavily, a look of shock written on her face. “W-what just happened?” she asked. “Mel, I-“I tried to say, only for her to interrupt me. “Liam, you need to leave now.” She said, tears forming in her eyes. “Mel, please.” I said as I walked towards her. “Liam please just go.”

Present
You pretty much know what happened from there. The kiss wasn’t supposed to happen, but it did. I don’t regret it happening, but I may have just lost my best friend for good and that I sincerely regret with my whole heart. So with a heavy heart, I pulled out of the parking spot and drove home, where I set out my suit for the following day where I would watch my best friend and the woman I loved marry someone else.

The Next Day; Mel’s POV
I paced back and forth in the bridal suite of the church, my nerves getting to me as I waited for the time when I would walk down the aisle. I heard a knock on the door. “Come in.” I said softly as I sat in the chair, the kiss that I shared with Liam yesterday still running through my head. The door opened and my best friend and maid of honor, Cecelia Malik, walked in with her hand placed on her growing stomach. She had a smile on her face, but that faded when she saw me. “What’s wrong love?” she asked as she took a seat beside me. I sighed as the tears that have been flowing since last night started again. “Everything Celia.” I replied as I buried my face in my hands. “This is about Liam, isn’t it?” she asked softly as she moved my hands away from my face.

I looked up. “How did you know?” I asked quietly as I took the tissue she handed me with a sad smile. “He came over last night and told Zayn what happened. Zayn told me. He’s really torn up, Mel.” She replied softly as she held my hand. “I know Celia, but I can’t exactly do anything about it now. Where was he four years ago when I didn’t have Noah? Oh that’s right, he had Danielle.” I said as I stood, beginning to pace the room. Yes, I was in love with my best friend at one point in my life; but now I have Noah, I’ve moved on. It was quiet in the room for a few moments.

“You still love him.” She said softly. I stopped. “Don’t be ridiculous.” I said softly, trying to convince her that it wasn’t true. “Are you trying to convince me of that or yourself?” she asked as she watched me. “Even if I did still love him, it’s too late. I’m getting married in ten minutes.” I replied. She sighed. “It’s never too late. You just have to figure out who’s going to make you happier in the long run – your fiancée, the man you’re about to marry or your best friend, the man who has known you since you were seven. It’s your call love, I just want you to be happy.” She said as she stood and walked over to me. I burst into tears and wrapped my arms around her as another knock sounded on the door and my dad poked his head in. “Ladies, it’s time.” He said as he smiled at me. “Oh princess, you look beautiful.” He said as I walked out with Cecelia. She held my hand as we approached the doors before she was set to walk down the aisle with the best man, Noah’s brother Andrew. “You’ll do the right things. Just choose what makes you happy.” She whispered quietly before walking through the doors into the church.

Only a moment later, the doors opened and the music began. “Ready sweetheart?” My dad whispered. No. “Yes.” I replied softly and we began our walk down the aisle into the church filled with my family, Noah’s family, and our friends. As my dad and I slowly made our way towards Noah, I noticed the looks I was receiving from everyone around me, as they watched me make my wake towards what would become my future. I turned my head slightly and spotted Liam; he came! He sat with his head down, a couple of rows behind my immediate family, with the rest of the boys of One Direction and their girlfriends/wives minus Cecelia. As my father and I walked by, I noticed the tear that fell down his cheek and I felt my heart break. I shook the feeling away as I looked up to see Noah, smiling brightly at me. However, when I looked towards him I felt nothing whatsoever. There was no feeling of nerves. There was no feeling of happiness, love. There was nothing. Yet, I still kept walking and my dad placed my hand in Noah’s, giving me away to my soon-to-be husband.

The ceremony went on and I found my mind elsewhere. I should have been focused on the wedding, but I just couldn’t. All that was on my mind was Liam. His soft, pink lips. His big, brown eyes. That mega-watt smile that took the clouds away on a rainy day. The priest was coming to the part of the ceremony where Noah and I were to recite our vows. I looked up as Noah took his hand in mine and out of the corner of my eye; I saw movement from the row where One Direction had been sitting. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Liam quietly exit the church while keeping his head down as he walked away. Liam, don’t leave. I bring myself back to Noah, looking up into the blue eyes I thought I loved so much. I felt ring slip on my finger and looked down. Had he already said his vows and said I do? How did I not hear them? “Now do you Melissa Christine York, take Noah Leonardo Sutton to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for as long as you both shall live?” the priest asked. I looked up at Noah, then over my shoulder to Cecelia, then out towards the crowd that was here for our wedding. “I-I…I don’t.” I said softly. “Wait, what?” Noah asked as he looked at me. There was distress in his eyes and I felt terrible for what I had just done but I think it would’ve been worse if I didn’t.

“I’m sorry Noah, but I can’t do this.” I said softly, looking down at my feet as I felt the stares of everyone around me become much more intense. “What do you mean?” he asked quietly. “I can’t marry you Noah. I, I don’t love you.” I whispered softly as I took my hands from him and slipped off the wedding band he had just slipped onto my left ring finger, along with the 4-carat diamond engagement ring he had presented me with eight and a half months ago. I took his hand in mine and dropped them there. “Someday, there’s going to be a girl who’s going to deserve these from you. But she isn’t me.” I said softly as I looked up at him. “I’m sorry.” I added quietly, leaning up to press my lips to his cheek before I turned, lifting my dress so that I could walk quickly down the aisle to where Zayn sat with Harry, Louis, and Niall. “Where is he?” I asked.

Liam’s POV
I sat on the park bench, looking over the lake in front of me as my heart broke with each passing second. She’s probably said ‘I Do’ already and was on her way to a life filled with happiness with Noah. I heard footsteps behind me and figured it was probably a fan that spotted me and wanted an autograph. I sighed softly and turned, ready to politely turn down whatever fan had turned up. However, nothing could prepare me for who I saw instead. “Hi Liam.” She said softly as she came towards the bench and sat beside me. “Mel, what are you doing here? How did you find me?” I asked softly as she gave me a small smile, keeping her hands in her lap. She stayed quiet for a few minutes. “I couldn’t marry him.” She replied as she looked out at the lake. “What do you mean?” I questioned her quietly, trying not to sound excited. “I couldn’t marry him, it wouldn’t have worked out.” She replied, finally turning to face me so that her green eyes met my brown ones. “Why?” I asked her softly. “Because yesterday, my best friend showed up at my house and he kissed me. He brought back feelings I thought I had buried four years ago. Turns out, they were never gone. They were just waiting for the right time to emerge again.” She replied as she smirked at me.

I sat there speechless for a moment. Was she saying what I think she was saying? “What does this mean?” I asked quietly as we sat together. “It’s you Liam, it’s always been you. I love you.” She replied as she scooted closer to me, her hand reaching up to caress my cheek. I leaned my face into her hand and brought my hand over it, turning my head to kiss her palm. “I love you too, Melissa.” I said softly as I looked up at her. The familiar sparkle in her green eyes was there again as I said those words and she smiled. “Good. Now, could we try this again?” she said as her eyes darted from my own to my lips. I smiled and nodded, leaning in slowly until my lips pressed against hers. The kiss was short, simple, and sweet; exactly how our first kiss should’ve been. “That should’ve been our first kiss.” She murmured softly as she pulled away, causing me to chuckle. “Yeah well, that can be our first kiss as a couple. Be mine, please?” I asked her as I held her hands in mine. “I’ve always been yours Liam. And I always will be.” She replied before pressing her lips to mine once more. Finally.

Six Years Later
“Daddy!!!! You’re home!” the little girl squealed as she jumped into my arms. I chuckled and kissed the top of her head. “You bet I am Princess. Were you good for Mummy?” I asked my three-year-old as I tickled her tummy. She giggled and nodded. “Mhm!! I helped Mummy with Chandler!” she said with a proud smile. “Good job my sweet Natalie.” I said softly as I walked upstairs to the nursery, where I knew my wife of four years was with our two-month-old son. I stood in the doorway, my daughter in my arms as I watched my wife as she sang our son a lullaby. “Shhhh Chandler’s sleeping Daddy!” Natalie whispered, as quietly, well what was deemed quiet to a three-year-old, in my ear. I smiled and set her down so she could walk over to her mother, my beautiful Melissa. “Hello Mummy.” I said softly as I walked over to her as she cradled our Chandler, kissing the top of her head. “Hello Daddy.” She replied softly before going to place the baby in his crib. “What do you say I tuck you in princess?” I asked softly as I noticed Natalie yawning. She nodded and I lifted her in my arms. “I’ll take her to bed, you go relax.” I said softly to my wife as she watched our son sleep.

After I had her tucked beneath her princess duvet, Natalie looked up at me with the same green eyes her mother possessed. “Daddy, can you sing to me?” she asked softly as she played with my fingers. I smiled. “Sure princess.” I replied as I kissed her forehead and began to sing Truly, Madly, Deeply from the Take Me Home album. Little Natalie fell asleep as I finished the song. “Goodnight Princess.” I whispered before kissing her forehead again and standing up to leave the room. “She absolutely adores you.” Melissa said softly as she stood in the doorway. I smiled and walked over to her. “Mhmm. How are you Mrs. Payne?” I asked her softly as I wrapped my arms around her. She smiled and leaned into me. “Tired.” She replied quietly. “Let’s get you to bed too then.” I whispered back, kissing the top of her head before lifting her in my arms.

Once we were tucked into our own bed and I had my arms wrapped around her, I kissed her lips softly. “I love you.” She whispered softly as she drifted to sleep in my arms. “I love you too Melissa, always.” I replied quietly before going to sleep myself, dreaming of how far we have come since that day in her flat six years ago.