Sequel: Don't Fall Back
Status: Completed! Update: Congrats to Colton on the 2-year extension with the Leafs!

Insane Love

XI. Monday, March 4th, 2013.

-Colton's POV-


I stretched my awake arms out to the rays of the sun and sat up, touching the empty space beside me. The covers were pulled down and there was no sign of Mia. I rubbed my eyes and yawned before rolling off the bed and standing up. I changed into my Leafs hoodie and black track pants, since I had practice in an hour.

Her suitcase was laid open by my closet, where she had placed it last night. As soon as we got home from the long drive, we fell asleep with each other. Now, I didn't know where she went.

I turned the knob and walked out into the hallway. The sweet smell of something coming from downstairs. I grinned and headed for the big kitchen.

She had a ladle in one hand and a spatula in the other. She poured some pancake batter in the pan and waited. I smiled to myself when I saw that she was wearing my black sweatshirt that she borrowed last night to bed. She was also only wearing pink panties and stood in front of the stove.

I sneaked up behind her and kissed her hair. She jumped a little and then faced me.

"Good morning," I pushed her side bangs over.

"Morning," Mia smiled. "I hope you don't mind me using your kitchen," she turned to flip the final pancake. "I just wanted to make you breakfast before practice."

"Why would I mind?" I laughed. "It's nice to have a proper meal rather than buying an egg sandwich or something in the morning."

"Well then sit," she put the ready pancake on top of the pile on one of the two plates before turning off the stove.

I took the maple syrup and strawberry jam out of my fridge and placed it on the island. She then put the plates down and we sat on the stools across from each other. She smiled and waited for me to take eat first.

"Mmm," I moaned with my mouth full. "This is so good."

"Glad you like it," she made a circle pattern of maple syrup and took a bite.

"You're coming to MasterCard Centre today, by the way." I swallowed the perfect fluffy pancake.

"As much as I would love to, Colton.." she said quietly. "I don't think they would want me there since I made the mistake of quitting."

I grinned but kept my eyes on the food on my plate, "Trust me, okay?" I glanced up at her.

She furrowed her eyebrows and gave me a weird look. She then shrugged and nodded her head. We ate for a couple more minutes and it was probably the best breakfast I've had in years.

I never let puck bunnies or other random girls stay over in the morning, so it felt really good having Mia here. I slept with Casey from the bar last week when I was mad, but I don't want to be with anyone besides Mia. Even though everyone told me that a break would be better, I couldn't help it and that's why I went to Ottawa. A couple days together and that's all it took. I'm willing to change for her and I'm willing to settle down if the time ever comes, if we ever make it that far.

I helped her put the plates, forks and knives in the sink, before putting the maple syrup and jam back in the fridge.

"I'll wait down here, do you think you can get ready in 10 minutes?" I looked at my watch.

"I only need 5." she assured me. She went upstairs and I sat down on the couch in my living room.

I had called Bozie and Brownie yesterday and made a plan to get her job back. They said they would talk to Jordan and Randy, and then Randy would talk to Nonis, so hopefully she can be the team's doctor again.

I heard her footsteps coming down the stairs and I stood up by the door. "Ready?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I still don't think it's a good idea for me to c--"

"Shhh," I hushed her and held the door open.

She walked out and I locked it, and headed for my car in the driveway. Once we were inside, I pulled out and went down the road. Our practice arena was only fifteen minutes away, so the radio kept us company.

I parked my silver Audi R8 beside Tyler's black BMW with Nazem's white Mercedes beside him. I took my equipment bag out, stood by her and made eye contact with her, while holding my hand out. She smiled and linked our fingers together.

The security guard opened the back door for us, and we walked down the hall. She tightened her grip on my hand, and I could tell she was nervous about being here.

"Hey!" Tyler spread his arms out. He was down the hall, about six feet away from us, and smiled.

"Hey Ty--"

Tyler jumped and hugged me. I laughed before we both pulled away and he grinned at Mia. She giggled and they hugged as well.

"I'm so fucking glad you guys are together now," he roared. He sounded like an excited 10 year old boy on Christmas morning and I laughed again at my own thought.

"Yeah," Mia blushed and looked up at me.

I kissed her forehead. "Can you take her there?" I asked Tyler.

"Take me where?" she questioned, giving us both confused looks.

"Of course!" Ty nodded. "You go get ready and talk to Brownie, I've got this."

I winked at Mia and Tyler nudged her, so she followed behind him like a lost puppy. He was taking her to Jordan's office, where she hadn't been before in this practice building.

I watched them leave and then I went to the locker room. I glanced at Dion and John-Michael first since they were standing by the door. They smiled at me and I did the same.

"Colts!" Brownie stood up and walked toward me.

I was so happy to see him, along with everyone as well, so I did what Tyler did to me. I hugged him and he laughed, leading me to our lockers which were beside each other.

"Fuck I've missed you," I grinned at my best friend once we sat down on the bench.

"Same man," Mike smiled. "So what happened!?" Brownie put on his white Leafs practice jersey.

"I found her at the flower shop," I began. "I had no idea she was there and I just wanted to look for something because it was the same place from last time. Then we saw each other and went for a walk," I explained. "She spilled her feelings and everything and I told her I love her too," I couldn't hold back a smile, and it spread wide across my face.

"It's so weird seeing you like this," Mike grinned. "But go on, continue."

I laughed and then continued explaining the last two days.

-Mia's POV-


"No!" I whispered loudly at Tyler as he tried to get me to go into Jordan's office.

"Goddammit!" he yelled in a whisper as well and pulled me closer to the door. "Don't be such a child!"

"They--" I struggled to release my arm from his grip. "They don't wan't to see me!"

"Yes, they do!"

"No, they don't!" I argued, as my feet slid along the floor.

"Stop trying to run away!" he tried to keep his whisper low but it almost turned into a yell.

"Mia?" Jordan opened the door and popped his head out. "Tyler?" he glanced at Ty.

We stared at him and I let go of my hand which clawed the wall. I knew I probably left a large scratch there while trying to escape from Bozie.

"What are you guys doing?" Jordan gave us a weird look, since it seemed like I was being forced to go somewhere-- which was actually true. I was scared to see Jordan but now he saw me in probably the worst way possible. My face got red in embarrassment and Tyler let go of my other arm quickly as we stood up straight.

"She's more stubborn than you think," Tyler mumbled. I shot him a glare and squinted my eyes, jokingly.

"It's so nice to see you, Mia." Jordan smiled. My mouth dropped open at his words and I glanced at Bozie who was smirking at me with his hands on his hips.

"I'll be in the locker room," Tyler started walking down the hall.

"No! Wait-Why-Fu--"

"Come inside," Jordan interrupted my unclear curses at Tyler. He held his glass office door open and I stepped in. I stared at Randy Carlyle who was sitting on one of the chairs and I gulped.

"Look who's back," Randy stood up with a nice expression on his face.

I looked at him and Jordan back and forth, confused. They just smiled at me and I crossed my arms awkwardly.

"So, you and Colton are together." Randy said. It was more of a statement than a question but I still didn't know how to reply. I was nervous that they would consider it unprofessional of both of us, since I'm-- well, used to be a team doctor and he's a player.

"Yeah," I swallowed nervously.

"Bozie and Brownie told us that you left under no choice for personal reasons and that you should get your job back," Randy leaned against the desk. "Is that true?"

"I.." I tried to speak but I was in too much shock. I was really happy but also really surprised. So, this is what Colton meant by surprise, yesterday at the hotel. I love Tyler and Mike so much right now for doing this. I bit my bottom lip and then looked back at him. "Yeah.."

"We would love to have you back," Randy smiled and Jordan pulled a paper out of the drawer behind his desk.

"Really!?" I shrieked in excitement.

"Of course," Jordan grinned and placed the paper on the desk, along with a black pen.

I walked over and scanned through it. It was the same paper I had signed when Brian Burke hired me, so I knew what it said. I signed it twice and put the cap back on the pen.

"Welcome back," Randy held his hand out and I shook it, along with Jordan's.

"Oh, and one last thing," Jordan grabbed a Maple Leafs navy blue 'Dr. Mia Stone' trainer sweater. I smiled and put it on. I felt so good to be wearing it again.

"Thank you," I said to both of them.

"Practice starts in a few minutes, so make yourself back at home." Randy walked behind me to the door.

As soon as I opened it, I bumped into the chest of Dave Nonis. It was weird seeing him here, since he barely ever came to MasterCard Centre, unless there was an announcement. Before Burkie got fired, I liked Dave as the assistant. But ever since MLSE fired him before the season even started, I was not keen to the fact that my favorite General Manager was getting replaced.

"Sorry," I apologized and stepped aside.

"It's alright," Dave walked in and Randy stayed back. They all sat down and began talking, so I closed the door and started walking back the way Tyler brought me.

-Colton's POV-


"What do you mean she's stubborn?" Brownie laughed. We all had put on our uniforms, except for our skates, and were just still waiting in the locker room for Randy to come and call us out to the ice.

"She wouldn't go!" Tyler complained. "I had to drag her there but Jord finally opened the door and caught us awkwardly.. but anyway, then she went into his office."

I had explained almost everything to Brownie and Bozie earlier and they were creeped out by my details but they were happy for me. It felt good to finally see them and tell them.

"Who went into his office?" Phil turned to face us and stood beside Tyler.

"Mia," Tyler grinned.

"What about Mia?"

We all blinked and turned around to see where the voice came from. Mia stood with her arms crossed, giving Tyler a devilish look. She walked toward us and kissed my cheek.

"Woah!" Dion came closer. "You guys are dating?"

I looked down at her for permission and she nodded. "Yeah," I put my arm around her shoulder.

"Wait, so, you're back!?" Phil looked at her sweater and then back up at her eyes.

"Mhmm, and that means no more cookies under my watch." she joked.

Dion bursted out laughing and Phil rolled his eyes but also grinned. I loved seeing them all get along with her. She was always a best friend to the team and I could tell they were all happy to have her back.

"You little..." she squinted her eyes at Tyler and shook her head, leaving her threatening sentence short.

"Oh shit," Tyler took a step back and snickered.

She slapped his arm playfully, before Tyler flinched. He thought she was going to punch him for dragging her to the office, but she didn't.

"Thank you," she smiled and hugged him lightly. "And thank you, too." she turned to Brownie and wrapped her arms around him as well.

"We're glad we could help." Brownie smiled at her and then winked at me.

"What's taking so long, anyway?" Dion glanced at the empty doorway. We were supposed to begin practice ten minutes ago, to prepare for the game tonight against the Devils.

"James?" Phil called James van Riemsdyk over.

"Hey guys," Reemer smiled.

"Have you talked to Randy since you got here?" Phil scratched his cheek.

"No," James shook his head. "I was actually just about to ask the same."

"I saw him in Jordan's office and he was following behind me until Dave walked in," Mia told us.

We all stared at her for a moment and I swallowed hard. He was usually never here, and it could only mean one thing. I was just about to ask her if she heard anything, but then I saw Randy standing in the doorway behind Tyler and Phil. Everyone in the locker room grew quiet and we looked at him.

"Coach," Joffrey stood up beside James. "Can we go out to skate now?"

"Uh, yeah," Randy scratched his head and kept his eyes on the ground. He cleared his throat and added, "Brownie can you come for a second?"

We all turned our eyes to Mike and I swear I could see his heart break. He walked out and followed Randy into the hallway, so we couldn't see or hear them talk. Mia brushed her hand along my arm and I just stood there, hoping it wasn't about what we thought. Phil coughed and we all stood in silence, until Brownie walked back in alone.

He stood in the doorway and glanced at everyone in the room, before heading slowly back towards his stuff.

"W-What's going on?" I stuttered my own words.

Mike didn't reply. He sat down and clasped his hands together softly in front of him and then looked up at all of us, staring down at him. He then turned his eyes back down at his hands.

"I got traded to Edmonton." he said quietly.

I swallowed a lump in my throat, but my mouth was completely dry. I felt terrible. Mia squeezed my thumb gently but I didn't look down at her. I kept my eyes on him and then on Tyler.

Tyler scratched his arm and went down to sit beside him. No one spoke and no one made noise. Brownie was always a fan-favorite, a great teammate and an even better person. A best friend. I literally felt sick.

Mike placed his gloves beside him, and slowly removed his jersey above his head, leaving it inside-out. He took off his guards followed by the rest of his uniform. The boys crowded in front of him, saying their goodbyes.

I slid my hand off of Mia's and stormed out of the locker room. I walked down the long and dark hall, until I saw the back door.

I pushed it open and sat down on the steps, clenching my fists, trying to hold back my anger.

It wasn't too cold, but it wasn't a warm noon either. The March sun was blinding, and the white clouds parted. I stared at the cars that drove by down the road, further away from the parking lot. I didn't want to go back and skate, practice, go into the locker room and feel empty without Brownie's stall beside mine. I just wanted to stay out alone.

I hadn't noticed that twenty minutes had already passed by of me just sitting, until I glanced at the time on my watch. I sighed heavily and scratched my facial hair. I heard the medal door crack open behind me but I didn't turn around to look.

"I'm not in the mood, just go." I said coldly to whoever it was.

I didn't hear the person say anything, until they took a couple steps closer. She sat down on the stairs beside me but didn't touch me. I instantly felt bad for saying that but I figured she understood that I'm upset about the trade.

"I can't tell you to feel better," Mia began quietly. "And I can't tell you that you should be happy that Matt is almost healed and could come back to play soon," she put her head on my shoulder. "I can't tell you how to feel or what to do, so I won't."

I didn't move nor say anything, but I listened clearly. I stared at the step my feet were on and then took my elbows off my knees, putting one arm around her. She rested her head more comfortably on my shoulder.

"Thanks." I finally spoke. She put her hand on my chest and we just sat in the quiet.

I looked up at the front door of the arena on the other side that opened wide. Mike walked up to his car with his equipment bag hanging from his shoulder. Tyler stayed by him as he opened the trunk of his large Hummer.

"Come," I stood up and Mia did the same. I held her hand and we walked toward the parking lot.

They saw us coming and that's when Brownie put his hands in the sides of his track-pants. He didn't look like the joyful guy he always was.

Tyler leaned back against the car door and kept his head low.

"I can't believe this is happening," I swallowed. My head was aching and it was suddenly colder out again. The jersey and guards underneath were not enough to keep me warm when I had to say goodbye.

"Me neither," Mike sighed. "Fuck."

We stood in silence once more before Brownie took his hands out of his pockets.

"Goodbye man," he hugged me and placed his arms around my back and patted it gently, as I did the same to his.

"Keep in touch." I managed to say before we stood back.

"You too." he nodded slightly. Mike then glanced at Mia who was already staring at him with teary eyes.

"Take care, Mike." she hugged him. "Thank you for everything over the past year. You brightened my day every time." Mia added kindly. "I wish you and Sarah the best in Edmonton."

"Thank you for saving my ass all those times I got injured," he let out a faint grin. "I hope you guys are together for a long time." he looked at us both and then faced Tyler.

"Bye for the second time?" Bozie asked with a weak smile.

Brownie laughed and they hugged once more. I looked up at the sky, trying not to show the tears that were threatening to fall. As much as it hurt seeing one of my best friends leave, I had to act strong.

"Bye guys." Brownie said again after opening his black car door. He stepped inside his Hummer and turned it on. He sat on the driver's seat and looked at us out his side window, and then pulled out of his parking space.

I stood in the middle of Mia and Tyler and we watched his car stay in one spot. Brownie put his hand up, and we waved back. He drove out and made a turn, once and for all, leaving.

"Shit that was hard." Ty exhaled.

"Yeah," I breathed. I turned to face the building again.

"Ready to go back?" Tyler licked his lips in the cold.

I nodded my head slowly and grabbed Mia's hand again. I interlocked my fingers with her's, and all three of us headed for the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
March 4th was the day Brownie got traded and now I'm sad again

@Bozie42- Edmonton just got a great player and even better person. Sad to see my good friend Brownie leave. All the best to him.
@JvReemer21- Best of luck to Brownie. Great guy and great teammate. #toughasnails
@Kostka85- Lost a good brother today in Mike Brown... He is a good man and wish him nothing but the best to him and his family! #HeartAndSoul
@PKessel81- (retweeted Kostka and Bozak)