Sequel: Don't Fall Back
Status: Completed! Update: Congrats to Colton on the 2-year extension with the Leafs!

Insane Love

XIV. Tuesday, April 16th, 2013.

-Mia's POV-


"Not even every chocolate bar in the world would be enough to eat my feelings because of this game," Zoe threw another piece of Caramilk in her mouth as the Capitals celebrated another goal.

"Tell me about it.." I mumbled.

It seemed as if the boys weren't even awake. They were getting out-shot and they couldn't play the puck without turning it over, and leaving Ben Scrivens on his own. Washington was winning 4-0 with under seven minutes left in the second period. Carlyle was clearly pissed and I knew that he would yell his voice off at the team in the locker room.

I was here, at home, between Lana and Zoe on the couch. Without Colton finding out, I called Jordan on Sunday and let him know that it was the doctor's order to stay home for a week. I felt guilty lying to Colton, but I told him that I just was off duty for a couple games. He believed me.

My friends refused to leave me alone, in case anything happened. Dr. Stevens called every day since Saturday to see how I was doing. I hadn't felt any pain for about an hour, but every time I stood up or moved too quickly, it hurt.

It stung and it burned, making me feel weak enough to have to sit down again. I woke up before Colton every morning and took the pain medication, so he wouldn't find out. I acted comfortable and happy until he left for practice. Then, it was the same routine of constantly drinking water and staring at a black screen on the TV, silently.

The doctor said my results should come back on Friday. I don't even know if I should be worried or relieved, to finally get answers. Either way, I was beyond nervous.

"Tyler's really talented," Lana spoke as Bozie won the faceoff, passing the puck to Phil.

"What did you guys talk about on the phone last night?" I winked.

Her face turned a dark shade of pink, "We're just friends, Mia."

The period ended, and the players left the ice. Most of the fans wearing red also went, as the screen changed to a commercial on cars. We watched the insiders on TSN discuss the current games. Once the break was over, Bozak got ready to take the draw.

With three minutes in, Ryan Hamilton slid the puck over to Leo Komarov, who skated through the Caps' zone, finishing a big pass to Mikhail Grabovski who scored.

"Fuck yes!" I yelled. There was finally hope, and maybe, just maybe, it would be enough to give the Leafs some motivation.

"God bless you, Grabo." Zoe fist pumped.

Lana laughed at our reactions, and she grinned once there was a 1 under the TOR section. We had practically transformed her into a hockey fan over the last couple of months.

I sat back against the couch after almost jumping out of my seat. Zoe glanced at me and asked, "Does it still hurt?"

I was cuddled up in Colton's navy blue Maple Leafs hoodie, with my arms crossed. "I don't feel anything right now." I shook my head. "Do you guys want more to drink?" I looked down at the empty pop cans on the coffee table in front of us.

"You sit," Lana stopped me from standing up. "I'll get them for us."

"Don't worry, I'm fine." I assured her.

Lana got up anyway and headed for the kitchen. She took out three cans of Iced Tea and came back. She cracked mine open and handed it to me, wrapping my fingers around it. Zoe repositioned the pillow behind my back and made it more comfy.

I stared at them back and forth beside me and sighed, "I'm okay, really."

"You have to be better than okay for us to let you do whatever you want," Zoe chuckled.

We tried to enjoy the rest of the game, but it was officially impossible when Marcus Johansson gave the Caps a 5-1 lead. Back to back games for us were brutal. The boys were slow, tired, not concentrated and they lacked communication. Scrivens just couldn't go any longer, but he still remained in net.

I took an Oreo cookie out of the package and ate it quietly. Colton seemed stressed out and I knew he was going to be upset. The only way I could comfort him is to pat him on the back or sleep beside him. Every time he even hugged me, I flinched in pain. My side hurt when I stretched my arms out, so I had to avoid physical contact with him as much as I could.

I hated it. I wanted to tell him what was going on but I didn't want him to worry, especially while the team was supposed to mathematically clinch the playoffs this week, if it went their way. Tonight, it was the opposite.

The last thing Colton needed was to be distracted, so I kept quiet. My plan was to receive the news alone, or with Lana and Zoe. If it was good news, I wouldn't tell him about the pain and it would just naturally go away. If it was bad, then he would have to know whether I liked it or not.

The time was up, and Franson slapped the puck with force along the boards. He was frustrated, and so was everyone in blue and white. The Capitals celebrated in their end, and the Leafs walked out, heading down the tunnel to the visitor locker room.

I sighed sadly, upset about the final score and at how many shots we had. It was disappointing and this was definitely not the real team, showing their real effort.

"I have to go home," Zoe glanced at the text from Mike she received on her iPhone. "I'll stay if you need me to." she added and Lana nodded in agreement.

"No, trust me." I smiled. "You guys can go, I'm fine and Colton will be here in a few hours."

"Are you sure?" Lana still looked unconvinced.

"Yes," I said.

"Okay.. goodnight girl." Zoe hugged me gently with one arm.

"I really think you should tell him," Lana stood beside Zoe at the door as I leaned against the wall.

"I will, eventually.."

They finally nodded and we said goodbye once more, before they left. I walked back over to the couch and sat down, collecting my thoughts. My breast didn't hurt, but my head did. I was mad at myself for lying to Colton, but I had to.

I flipped the channel to How I Met Your Mother and watched the show alone. I drank some more of my iced tea, and I hadn't noticed I had gone through two episodes.

I heard keys outside the front door and I knew it was Colton. And yet he still didn't know that I could possibly have canc---

"Hey," he smiled weakly as the front door closed behind him. He took his shoes off and walked over. He looked fresh in his black suit and tie, but I knew he was worn-out and completely apart after the bad game that had thankfully ended.

I placed my drink down and he sat down beside me. With his back bent forward, arms on his knees and hands hanging low, he sighed. I bit my bottom lip and rubbed my hand in a soothing motion on his thigh.

"It's one game.." I said quietly, almost in a whisper. I knew better than to ever say that it's okay after a loss.

"I know, but.. fuck." he ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head slowly. He then glanced at me, and I tried to look at him warmly.

Colton put his back against the couch backboard, and put one arm around my waist. I gently put my head on his shoulder, and breathed normally under his touch. I was scared I would feel the pain in front of him, but this time I didn't.

He kissed my left temple on the side of my forehead, and we relaxed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but it had to get going. Next chapter will be pretty dramatic.