Sequel: Don't Fall Back
Status: Completed! Update: Congrats to Colton on the 2-year extension with the Leafs!

Insane Love

XVI. Friday, April 19th, 2013.

-Mia's POV-


I had one more hour to spare until the doctor's appointment. At two in the afternoon, I was lying down on the couch with my knees pulled up, reading 'The Fountainhead'. I forgot 'Lolita' at Colton's last night, and it was my favorite novel which I was almost halfway through. I wish I had just simply forgotten it, and could just go back and get it, but what he said really found its way in to hurt me.

He seemed more upset that I kept it a secret from him, than the fact that I was in a lot of pain. I couldn't deal with him yelling anymore, so I left. I couldn't deal with seeing him angry, because for the first time in the two years I've known him, I was scared. Still, I knew sleeping alone last night just made me crave his touch even more.

I wasn't going to beg for his forgiveness. I shouldn't have lied and kept it from him, but it was for the best. He looked tense, almost frightening, when he confronted me. His eyes turned a darker shade and his tone of voice was too much for me to handle. It wasn't the same Colton that made me feel safe. I licked my lips, trying to focus on the book.

'She tried to tear herself away from him. The effort broke against his arms that had not felt it. Her fists beat against his shoulders, against his face. He moved one hand, took her two wrists, pinned them behind her, under his arm, wrenching her shoulder blades. She twisted her head back. She felt his lips on her breast. She tore herself free…She fought like an animal. But she made no sound. She did not call for help. She heard the echoes of her blows in a gasp of his breath, and she knew that it was a gasp of pleasure…She felt the hatred and his hands; his hands moving over her body, the hands that broke granite. She fought the last convulsion. Then the sudden pain shot up, through her body, to her throat, and she screamed.'


I sighed, glancing at the wall clock which read 2:26. I looked down on the creamy rug where Kabby laid flat on his stomach, sleeping peacefully. I flipped the page and continued reading and killing time.

'Then she laid still. It was an act that could be performed in tenderness, as a seal of love, or in contempt, as a symbol of humiliation and conquest. It could be an act of a lover or the act of a soldier violating an enemy woman. He did it as an act of scorn. Not as love, but as defilement. And this made her still and submit…the act of a master taking shameful, contemptuous possession of her was the kind of rapture she had wanted.'


My eyes shot up from the page after I heard a knock at the door. I folded the top left corner so I could know what part I was on, and I set the book on the coffee table. Carefully sitting up, then standing on my feet, I felt only a minor ache. The pain medication had really been working. I walked towards the door when another knock tapped against it. I turned the handle, opening it to see the dark, tall man in front of me, with a Mail cap and bag on, while holding a bouquet of red roses near his shoulder.

"Ms. Stone?" he questioned, looking at me kindly.

"Um, yeah, that's me." I spoke softly.

He took out a clipboard from the bag with his free hand, handing it over to me as he said, "Sign here please."

Without any questions, I wrote my signature in the blank space, and he put the pen and clipboard back in the bag. He then held the bouquet with both hands, extending it over to me with a nice smile on his face.

"Thank you,"

He nodded, flashing another grin, before kicking to his heel and heading down the sidewalk. I stood in the door frame as I looked at the flowers in my arms, already knowing who they were from. I saw a small folded card tucked in the green wrapping, and I pulled it out.

I'm sorry. I want to be there when you get the results. I love you. Please, I'm sorry.

And then I did something I hadn't done since yesterday. I smiled. As I walked back inside, I shut the door and went to the kitchen. I placed the bouquet on the island counter, and the card beside it. I pulled out a glass vase from the cupboard, filling it up and taking the flowers out of the wrapping and putting them in the water. They stood out evenly, instantly brightening up my mood. All twenty of them were beautiful.

I stared at them for a moment, before the card caught my eye again. I picked it up and leaned back against the counter. Colton's sweet side was my favorite. I was still mad for last night, but I couldn't deny how much I loved the flowers and the effort. Because this time, I got them from him, rather than miserably watching them drop on the floor in Ottawa.

I walked back to the quiet living room, trying to find my phone which had slipped under the cushions. Once I found it, I viewed the text that had been sent to me almost ten minutes ago: I'm sorry.

-Colton's POV-


Tyler watched me pace back and forth in my living room, wondering what was going through Mia's head right now. I wanted her to forgive me for last night, for everything I said. I care, so I was worried. I hated how she kept it a secret, but I understand why. I hated myself even more for yelling at her.

"Dude, just breathe." Tyler chuckled at my expression.

I chewed on my bottom lip, hands on my hips, "Do you think she found the card?" I asked. I made sure the bouquet was delivered to her at an exact time, and had the guy--a friend of Tyler's, call me right away, so I would know when to text her. I was beyond nervous.

"Yes, stop worrying." Bozie sighed tiredly, with his legs stretched out, sitting comfortably on the couch. "You sound like a chick."

"Then how come she's not replying?" I ignored his remark.

"I dunno," he shrugged.

I felt the vibration in my pocket, and it was clear enough for Tyler to hear as well. He looked up at me, as we made eye contact before I hurried to pull it out and look at the text I received.

My appointment is in 15 minutes. At the doctor clinic in the West plaza near the hospital.

"Shit, 15 minutes!" I panicked, my eyes and body movements searching for a jacket that I didn't even need to wear for this Spring weather. "Wait-- what clinic is she even talking about?" I asked quickly.

"I know how to get there, I'll lead the way." Tyler stood up.

I nodded and we headed out. I locked the door and we both got in our cars, as he went in front and I drove behind him. The streets were all familiar, and I knew how to get to the hospital, I just had never been to the doctor's clinic she explained.

When we arrived, Tyler stopped the car by the office. "This is something only you and her need to do," he spoke, looking if there were any cars behind him trying to get through the parking lot.

"Thanks for the help, man." I stood by his window.

"Tell her I hope everything is okay," he smiled before waving goodbye, and driving out of the plaza.

I looked up at the large clinic, and sighed nervously. My stomach was suddenly growling, fearfully, and I was getting goosebumps. I inhaled, and opened to step inside. The walls were white, along with the tiled floor. There were chairs in the waiting room, six rows of them, with only about ten people in the area. I didn't have time to think about the fact that I was out where fans could just come up to me.

The receptionist was typing things on the computer in front of her, and the place was overall quiet, like how it was supposed to be. I glanced at the empty aisles ahead, where the doctor offices were. I turned my head to the side, and there she sat. One leg crossed over the other, with a magazine on her lap, concentrated on what she was reading in the corner of the clinic.

I walked over, and took the seat beside her. She didn't look up, until my arm brushed along her own. When she saw that it was me, she flashed the weakest, but most hopeful smile anyone could ask for. I put my arm around her shoulder on the edge of the chair, and she leaned closer to me. My chin rested on the side of Mia's head, and I lent down to kiss her hair tenderly.

"I'm sorry," I murmured quietly, speaking what I had been repeating in my head all day.

She didn't say anything for a moment, she just kept quiet, looking ahead. "I should have told you."

"It's okay.." I hushed.

"Colton?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't want us to keep things from each other, ever." she said softly.

"We never will." I promised.

The gentleness in our voices, making our words sound delicate, like treasure. She was my treasure; my treasure that I could vow to keep safe. Last night was the first time we really fought in our relationship, and it only made me realize how empty I am without her. It was worse than not having her at all, like in the beginning when I first met her.

"Mia Stone?" a middle-aged man called out, wearing a white doctor's coat.

"Yes," she smiled faintly, knowingly, and placed the magazine back on the table beside her in the corner.

We both stood up, locking our fingers together, and followed the doctor down the aisle. I swallowed a lump in my throat as we walked into his office, two chairs were placed in front of his work desk, where there was a sign that read 'Dr. Johansson.'

Mia played with her hands together nervously on her lap, as I picked on a loose thread on my jeans. The doctor was looking through a file on his desk, as we sat silently, hoping for the best, but deep down, expecting the worst.

"Okay, let's see here." he finally pulled out a few pieces of paper out of the assigned folder. "Dr. Stevens informed us about the condition, and the test results were delivered earlier today. How are you feeling?" he glanced at Mia.

"I'm alright," she exhaled, her voice cracking with worry.

"Is the pain more or less than how it was on Saturday?"

"Much less," she confirmed.

"Have you been taking the prescribed pain medication?" he questioned.

"Yeah," she nodded.

"Well," he scanned through the paper. I tried hard to breathe, but my heart was pounding louder than the sound of air coming out of my nose and mouth. "The results state that the blood is normal, the stream is at its regular level and the urinary samples are good as well." he began. "We believe the pain was caused from either positioning yourself uncomfortably or from lack of vitamins. It is not any type of cancer or anything else that is serious."

I heard her sigh happily, as we both let out the breaths of relief. I reached over and put my hand on top of her's, rubbing my thumb on the back of her hand.

"I'll make sure a copy is mailed to you as soon as tomorrow." Dr. Johansson smiled, and just then, my phone rang. I looked at him apologetically and pulled it out of my pocket.

"It's Tyler, he's probably wondering if we got the results yet." I told her. "I'll call him back after."

"We're done here, anyway." he spoke, piling the papers together, and then smiling at us again. We stood up, and headed for the door after we said goodbye to him.

When we got out to the parking lot, I took a breath of the fresh air, and pulled in Mia for a hug. She responded by wrapping her arms around my back, as we stood beside my car together.

"Thanks for the roses." she said, with her head resting by my neck, where it fit perfectly near my shoulder.

I pulled back slightly, so I could look at her. With one hand, I moved her side bangs over and leaned to place a gentle kiss on her lips. She put her hand behind my neck and pressed our lips together again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had another copy of the ending of this chapter written out completely and I saved it as a draft but it would have made things so so so complicated (and you would HATE Mia forever) and it's too soon for that lol. Anyway, comment please.

Next chapter (April 20th) is the day we clinched the playoffs, babyyyy. So expect a lot of fun in the next one. I'll try to update soon since the playoffs start in a few days. Go Leafs Go!