Sequel: Don't Fall Back
Status: Completed! Update: Congrats to Colton on the 2-year extension with the Leafs!

Insane Love

II. Sunday, February 17th, 2013.

-Mia's POV-


I woke up in the morning with an enormous headache from last night that I spent at the bar with Mike Kostka, Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak and Cody Franson. Thankfully, I was smart enough to leave a bottle of water near my bed, so I drank some and my head wasn't pounding as much.

I quickly changed out of my pajama shorts and sweatshirt and into a nice cream colour long sleeved shirt and into my blue jeggings. I threw my thick medium-length wavy dark brown hair into a bun and walked downstairs to the kitchen. I didn't bother putting on any makeup since I had no work today.

I poured myself some Special K Honey + Oats cereal in a bowl and then added the milk. I set the bowl down on the coffee table and sat on the couch beside my furry gray Maltese cat, Kabby. When I first got him 6 years ago, Tomas Kaberle was one of my favourite Leafs-- so I named my cat after him. I flipped to channel 20, TSN, and watched as Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole cracked some jokes before showing the Top 10 plays of the week. I smiled to myself once Bozak's goal from Phaneuf last night was shown.

My house was quiet almost all the time since it was only me and Kabby. Although, I lived in a pretty big house with 3 bedrooms which each had a balcony. I moved out of my parents' home 5 years ago when I was 19. There was no way I could pay for the house on my own at the time, so my dad, who is the assistant GM of the Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL, helped me. And by help, I mean he paid for 80% of everything. Usually my best friend Zoe came over so the place wasn't always so silent. We had been best friends since the 8th grade. I met Zoe because we were both sporting our Mats Sundin shirseys on the 1st day back from Summer break. We both graduated from the University of Toronto, and she went on to become an elementary school teacher. She has the key to my house and I have the key to hers, which is on the same block. Zoe and her boyfriend of 3 years, Mike, flew west to Calgary to visit his family for a week. She called a few days ago and said they would be back on Wednesday.

After watching SportsCentre, I walked over to the kitchen and placed the bowl in the sink. I jumped up when the house phone rang and scared me, and I quickly hurried over to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Mia Stone?" an unfamiliar male voice asked.

"Um, yes," I answered. "And you are..?

"You don't remember your best guy friend? Wow, has it really been that long?" I heard him laugh.

"Kyle..?" I questioned.

"Muffin?" Kyle giggled.

"Ketchup!" I squealed.

When I first began my studies for sports medicine at the U of T, I had also met a 6'1, brown haired, green eyed handsome young man. When I introduced myself as Mia, he jumped up and yelled "Muffin!" I looked at him with a confused face and he explained to me that my name starts with an M, so my food name is Muffin. I thought it was so cheesy and childish so I made fun of him jokingly until he told me to think of a food name for him. After 20 minutes of chatting away, I thought of ketchup and announced it. It made sense because K is for Kyle. From that day on, we remained good friends throughout university.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good! How's life?"

"Not bad," he said nicely. "Still working for the Maple Laughs?"

"Much better than working for the SenaTURDS like you." I rolled my eyes and laughed. He grew up as a Senators fan so we would always chirp each other.

We talked for a few more minutes and caught up with each other's lives.

"Um, I'm actually still in town." he said. "I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie or go out for dinner tonight?"

Oh god. Is he seriously asking me out? Kyle Roberts had asked me out almost every year in university and I always let him down easy. I only ever thought of him as a friend. I quickly tried to think of an excuse.

"I'm really sorry Kyle but we're flying to Florida tonight for 2 back-to-back games." I quietly sighed since I didn't have to lie.

"Oh, okay." he sounded disappointed. "You're too busy today?"

I looked at the time on the wall clock. 11:32AM. "Yeah, actually. I have to pick up Zoe from the airport at 1 and then take Kabby to the vet for a check-up at 3." I tried to sound nice as I lied.

"I understand." he said.

"Um.. the Leafs will be in Ottawa next week." I remembered that we play the Sens again next Saturday. "I'll see you then?"

"That sounds good!" he was much happier.

"Alright, I have to go now. Bye Kyle." I bit my lip.

"See you next week!" he said and then ended the call.

I hoped that he wouldn't remember and that I would end up not seeing him. We are going to Ottawa on Friday and staying until Sunday morning. I was going to be stuck there for 3 days, trying to hide from him-- even though I knew it was going to be a challenge. I didn't want to go on a date with him because I didn't have feelings for him and I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. There was only one man I actually wanted- No. I shook my head, not allowing myself to think like that about Colton. It's exactly what he wants me to think and there's no way in hell he's going to have it his way around me. Again.

I decided to go and take a shower and go to the store after for some groceries.

***


I locked the house and started walking down the street. I didn't take the car since it was a decent Winter day in February. The snow on the ground was melting as the warm sun went down on it. It wasn't cold enough for mittens or a scarf, so I continued walking in my brown Uggs and black jacket.

Once I entered Loblaws, I grabbed a green grocery carrier and walked down to the 'CHIPS AND CRACKERS' aisle. I placed a Ritz Original box in my carrier and looked at the other options once more before turning around. I bumped right into the chest of someone and said "Sorry!" right away. He was a tall, blonde haired man wearing a Maple Leafs "since 1917" shirt and dark blue jeans, sealed off with a Blue Jays baseball cap which covered his forehead and shadowed his eyes. But I knew exactly who it was.

"You're short." Colton Orr smirked.

"No, you're just tall." I argued.

"What are you, like 5'6?" he laughed.

I rolled my eyes and he smiled, knowing that he's right. "Go away." I said and kept walking down the aisle.

"Actually, I'm shopping here, thank you very much." he confirmed and walked by my side.

"Colton Orr--- buying food--- feeding himself?" I joked. "What world is this?"

"For your information, smart-ass." he began. "I don't always order food or have it made for me. I'm a great cook."

"I bet you are." I said sarcastically.

I looked over at the last glass container of Tostitos salsa on the counter. Our hands collided as we both reached for it at the same time.

"I'll have that, thanks." I pulled the salsa towards me and it slid over to my side.

"Uh, I was here first." he slid it over closer to him.

"No, I was." I pulled it towards me.

"Nope." he had the the final say as he snatched the tomato dip and placed it in his cart.

"Unbelievable." I put one hand on my hip.

"I'll tell you what," he smiled devilishly. "You come over to my place, and we'll watch a horror movie and share the chips and salsa."

That sounded so perfect. Just me and him, on his couch, cuddling, watching a scary movie and sharing what we were fighting over.

"Um, you wish." I rejected myself from saying yes to him.

"No strings attached, I promise." he chewed on his gum and winked. "And plus, I'll drive us both to the airport at 2:30."

I thought about it and realized that it would be better if we drove together and then met up with the boys at Pearson. "Fine. But I swear if you try to pull one move on me-"

"Don't worry." he hushed me. We paid for our groceries and headed out the supermarket.

...


When I walked into his living room, the first things I noticed were his nice sense of style. He had matching black leather furniture on top of a bright red large rug on the hardwood floor.

Colton closed the door behind him and dropped his keys on the counter by the stairs. "Make yourself at home, babe." he said once he saw me looking around. "I'll be right back." he headed into the kitchen.

I hung up my jacket and then sat down on the couch and waited for him to come back. He returned with the Tostitos original chips in a big green bowl and the salsa in a smaller green one. He scrolled through Netflix and selected the movie Piranha.

We sat a fair distance apart on the couch, by his choice. which I was actually impressed by.

20 minutes into the movie, I screamed "Holy shit!" when one of the piranhas killed one of the characters, and I closed my eyes.

"Awww, come here." he put his arm around my back and pulled me in. I shifted over closer to him and rested my head on his chest. He wrapped his other arm around me too, hugging me tightly but I still felt comfortable. God, he smelled so fucking good. Damn him.

I slowly moved my head a little, still on his chest, so I could face him. He looked down at me and brushed his thumb along my left cheek bone.

"I...." he said softly. My heart stopped. "....want you naked."

"Ugh, Colton." I rolled my eyes and turned again so I wasn't facing him anymore.

"I'm just kidding." he laughed.

I ignored him and tried to concentrate on the movie while he rubbed his hand on my back. "Hey." Colton whispered.

"What?" I said quietly but still didn't turn to face him.

"Pssst." he whispered again.

I turned my head again just in time for him to put his finger under my chin, lifting my face up closer to his. I looked up at him as he glanced up and down from my eyes to my lips. He placed his hand behind my neck and carefully leaned in and slowly began closing his eyes..

"No, I.. I can't." I escaped him and stood up slowly.

"What's wrong?" he got up too.

"You're just... you're just playing me. I know this is a game and I can't do this." I grabbed my jacket and started walking towards the door.

"Mia." he said behind me. I could feel him coming closer and hear his footsteps.

I grabbed the door knob and just as I opened the door a jar wide, Colton pushed it back and it closed. I turned my back against it and his hand was still holding it shut. He looked into my eyes and I just wanted to hug him and never let go. But I couldn't.

"Why do you keep running away from me?" Colton finally asked.

"Because you're you." I said firmly.

"I didn't know you were.. afraid." he took his hand off the door but I still pushed back against it.

"I'm not. I'm not afraid of you, Mr. Orr." I swallowed.

"I'm sorry if I make you feel unsafe." he took a small step back, giving me space.

If I could only tell him how safe he really made me feel. I had never felt more safe around anybody in my life before until I fell in love with him. I felt like he could protect me from anything.

"You don't." I finally said. "That's not why. I don't mean to run away. I just don't want to get..." I paused as he waited for me to finish my sentence. "..attached." I gulped. Even though I was already way too attached.

"What's the matter with getting attached to me?" he stared me up and down.

"I don't want to end up like all the other girls you sleep with and then dump." I sighed.

"I've told you so many times." he shook his head. "You're not like the other girls. You're.. different." he let his soft side come out.

"In what way?"

"Every way. You're beautiful, smart, talented, funny, easy-going.. I could continue listing things for days." he admitted.

I didn't say anything back for a moment and tried to take everything he just said in. I could feel myself tearing up. I clenched my fists against the door and bit my bottom lip, trying to hold back the tears.

He saw my face turn a light shade of red and the tears that slowly slid down my cheek. He took a step closer and wiped my tears with the back of his fingers. He brought my face up closer to his and kissed me gently. He kissed me again and it lasted longer than the first. We kissed slowly for another minute and were interrupted a sudden phone-call.

"Stay here, okay?" he kissed the top of my nose gently and answered his cell phone.

"As if I could ever back away, now.."' I quietly whispered to myself once he was too far down to hear.

"I'm on my way, yes." Colton said quickly on the phone. "Uh, yeah I don't know about Jordan but..." he looked over at me, seeing if I would allow him to tell the staff that I was with him.

I nodded.

"..Mia is with me. We're on our way. Okay, bye bye." he hung up the phone and put on his jacket and grabbed his suitcase which was ready by the closet.

"We'll stop at your place so you can get your suitcase and stuff." he held the door open for me. He locked his house and we walked into his large black 'heavy-duty- Dodge truck and headed for my house.

...


"Mia," he said once we got back in the car with my stuff and I left a 3 day supply of food for Kabby.

"Yeah?" I glanced over at him and smiled.

"Thank you for coming, with me." he said.

I didn't say anything but just nodded and received a smile back from him. We drove to the airport, as the Leafs were facing the Florida Panthers tomorrow and Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think!

I might switch to Colton's point of view next chapter but we'll see