Sequel: Don't Fall Back
Status: Completed! Update: Congrats to Colton on the 2-year extension with the Leafs!

Insane Love

V. Thursday, February 21st, 2013.

-Mia's POV-


"You really like him, don't you?" Zoe took another sip of her latte. Starbucks had always been our favourite place, and since she came back from Calgary, we decided to sit down and drink coffee.

"Maybe it's more than that?" Lana added. Our other close friend, Lana, also tagged along. She had gone to a different University than us after high school. She graduated from Queens in Kingston a couple years ago when she was 25 as an architect in downtown Toronto, working for Diamond Schmitt Architects. She was only a year older than Zoe and I, but we've known her for over 5 years.

"I'm not even sure what it is, anymore." I sighed as I set down my Frappuccino on the table.

"Look Mia, honey." Lana said from across the table. "I'm worried about you and this Colton guy. From the things you've said he's done in the past, I don't think he deserves you. I don't know anything about hockey, really, but if his intentions are to injure players purposely, then I don't think you should be with him in case anything were to happen to you."

"But he's not always like that," I told them. "There's a really sensitive side to him and I've seen it before. And I don't think he could ever lay a finger on me like that."

"Do you remember last season in September when you first got your job with the team?" Zoe began. "You were so excited to be meeting all the players, and once you talked to Colton for the first time, you felt something inside you. Don't ever forget that feeling."

I smiled lightly and nodded.

-------------------


"Boys, this is Mia Stone." Ron Wilson led me into the locker room as the players were getting ready for their first practice together of the 2011-2012 pre-season. The roster was not finalized yet but the hopes were high for a young team managed by Brian Burke.

"She's new to the squad and she will be taking the position as the specialized Physician in sports medicinal care for us." Dr. Noah Forman added. "She studied injury diagnosis and treatment, training and athletic performance."


"Welcome to the team." Dion Phaneuf stood up and reached his hand out. "I'm Dion."

"I know," I smiled gently and shook his hand. "I'm a hard-core Leafs fan, pretty much."

"Well you have good taste." he laughed. The players looked too busy to be listening in on the conversation.

"I'm Mikhail-- but already know, I guess." Mikhail Grabovski said sweetly in his broken English.

"Nice to finally meet you, Grabo." I cocked my head to the side a bit and smiled back.

"So how long have you been a blue n' white fan for, Mia?" Phil Kessel asked nicely and looked up from tying his skates.

"Since I was 6," I said. "My dad first introduced me to hockey that year, and at first I didn't like it but then I fell in love with it right away."

"Who was your favourite player at that time?" Tyler Bozak questioned.

"Mats Sundin." I replied with confidence because ever since I was little I always looked up to him. I know that it was pure heartbreak all across Leafs nation when he went to the Vancouver Canucks, but after a few months when he announced his retirement, I cried over hockey for the first time.

"What about your favourite fighter?" Colton Orr lifted his practice jersey up and slid his head through the hole. He smiled and waited for an answer.

"Tie Domi." I answered.

"Good answer." he winked. "What about your current?"

"Yeah," Colby Armstrong grinned. "What about your current?"

"Oh c'mon guys." I laughed. "Don't make me choose."

"You guys are killing her here with these questions." Dion chuckled. "Let's just give her some space."

Some of players continued chatting amongst themselves about random topics I wasn't listening to. I looked back at Colton Orr and once he caught my eyes, he stood up and walked on his skates closer to me. It felt like forever, but in reality, it only took him 2 seconds. I had zoned out as I lost myself to the fact that I was dumb enough to feel attracted to him. His blue eyes and wide jock-like smile made me want to slap myself.

"You've got some serious balls coming out to work for a hockey team." Colton snickered. "I'm impressed."

"For your information, Mr. Orr," I looked up at the tall man standing in front of me. I blushed once I knew I had his attention completely. "I'm not a little princess who can't handle looking after 20 grown men." I confirmed. "Besides, this is the career I chose."

"But can you handle what the boys actually expect from you?" he said devilishly and I knew what he meant.

"That's not the type of girl I am," I crossed my arms. "I'm not gonna fall for anyone because that's not what I'm here for."

"We'll see about that." he smirked and walked passed me.

----------------------------


"Yeah. I remember." I sipped my Frappuccino.

When we first met, my feelings for him had just begun stirring. I never understood why. Why instead of being with a guy who finished University or a guy who is on his way towards a smart life, I wanted an enforcer who plays for my favorite team. Nothing every really made sense when it came down to Colton. For the past year and a half, the way I felt about him got stronger each time I saw him. Every time, we would just flirt playfully, even though I knew he was actually flirting-- I still joked along, but for the last week it's been different. He's been acting different.

"In the end, it's up to you. I'm sorry if I sound bad but I just don't appreciate how hockey players act. Especially ones like this guy you're always speaking of." Lana stated. I smiled at her because I knew that she never liked rough sports like hockey.

"I know but how can it end the way I want it to, when I don't even know how I want it to end?" I shook my head lightly. "Anyway, enough of my problems. How were his parents? Did they miss you? Did you miss them?" I asked Zoe.

"Both, I guess." she laughed lightly. "We visited the tower and drove out to Edmonton to watch the Flames vs Oilers game at Rexall Place with Mike and his dad." she said. I nodded knowing that Mike and his family were huge Flames fans.


"Oh, that's good." I grinned.

We stayed and talked for a few more minutes even though we had already finished our coffees. We paid for everything and stood right outside the door on the sidewalk.

"I have to get going home, Mike is gonna be back from work soon and it's almost 5." Zoe hugged Lana and I both. "Bye!"

"Bye bye!" Lana waved.

"Well I need to get on my way to the ACC soon for the game." I said.

"Alright, I think I'm going to visit the library. Need to exchange one of my literature novels." she spoke. The wind blew some of her thick black hair onto her face but she moved it back with her pale fingers. She was the typical smart 25 year old hard-worker. She never swore, always was on time, running on an organized schedule almost always.

"Do you have to?" I whined. She looked slightly confused so I added, "Can you come to the game with me?"

"I don't have tickets and I believe I'm a few days too late on getting them." she said. "And plus, you know I don't watch hockey. I wouldn't understand anything and I don't want to be sitting in the stands alone while you're working down in the staff medical room."

"I'm sure Jordan would let me bring you into the room. Please, Lana?" I gave her my best puppy eyes.

She sighed, "Fine."
.......


"Jord, this is Lana. Is it okay if she stays here for the game?" I told our senior director. He looked up from the clipboard and back and forth between me and Lana.

"Uhh, yeah, sure." he replied. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, sir." she shook his hand.

After 1 period, the Leafs were down by one goal which was scored by Buffalo Sabres' Tyler Ennis. Although, one of my biggest worries was the fact that I hadn't seen Colton anywhere on the ice and I was 100% sure that he didn't get scratched.

We heard the players walking to the locker room and I stood up, wanting to ask Scott, the assistant coach, what happened with Colton.

We caught up with Scott who was following Carlyle into the locker room. "Hey Scott."

"Hey, need anything?" he asked.

"Um, I was actually wondering where Colton is. I didn't see him on the ice or on the bench." I tried to sound casual.

"Colts had some knee issues yesterday after practice. He'll be okay but he won't be in for the next few days or so. Probably a week." he informed.

"Ok, thanks." I nodded.

2nd period was better for the Leafs as Dion Phaneuf and James van Riemsdyk had scored. 3rd period came shortly after and JvR scored again, giving the team a 3-1 lead, which became the final score.

A few minutes after Randy Carlyle gave a victory speech to the team, Lana and I went through security-- I told them she was with me, and we waited by the locker room.

"What are we waiting for?" Lana bit her lip.

"I need to ask Brownie something.."

Before she could say anything, some of the players' wives and girlfriends headed into the room to see their husbands or boyfriends. Lana and I stood in the doorway and waited patiently.

"Hey!" Mike Brown waved once he saw me. We walked up to him and he was still not done taking off his equipment and uniform.

"Hey. Good game today." I said.

"Thanks." he nodded.

"I heard that Colton got hurt?" I said in more of a questionable way.

"Uh, yeah, he got--"

"Hey baby!" a brunette female ran up to Brownie and hugged him.

I didn't want to disturb him and his wife even though she had interrupted us, so I turned the other way and was about to leave the room until I saw Bozie looking. I walked over and Lana followed.

"So I heard your little convo there with Mike." Tyler Bozak smirked as he hung his jersey.

"Well hello to you too," I said. "I was just curious as to why he was suddenly missing."

"Mhmmm." Tyler mocked. I gave him a look and wondered what he meant by that. "Aren't you gonna introduce me to your friend?" he then looked over at Lana. I snickered to myself once I saw his jaw practically drop once she smiled.

"Tyler, this is Lana O'Donell." I looked over at her. "Lana, this is Tyler Bozak. Or Bozie as we like to call him."

"It's nice to you meet you." Bozie held out his hand nervously.

"Pleasure to meet you too, Tyler." she shook his hand lightly.

"..Um, so yeah." I broke the silence. Tyler finally turned his eyes away from her and back to acting busy with his hockey bag. "We should probably get going--"

"Atta fucking boys!" Colton walked in in his Leafs track suit and held his hands up high for them to slap. He seemed to be limping on his right leg and had a cast which covered his knee and a bit of his leg. Phaneuf, Brownie and McLaren high-fived him, they talked and celebrated for a bit.

I turned my head back to face Lana and Bozie, only to be greeted by a huge smirk on Bozie's face. I knew exactly what he was thinking of saying and I prayed that he wouldn't dare..

"Hey Colts!" Tyler threw his hand up. "Over here!"

Fuck.

He walked over slowly trying not to hurt his leg and patted Tyler on the shoulder, "Good game man." Colton looked at Lana and then saw me standing right beside her. "Oh, hello."

"Hi." I forced a smile. "Um.. Lana," I glanced at her and then at Colton. "This.. is Colton. Colton this is Lana." I let out a sigh after I finally introduced them.

She gave me a knowing look, since she now knows how Colton looks like, and reached her hand out to accept his hand shake. "Nice to meet you."

"You too." Colton smiled. He looked over at me and caught me looking back at him.

"Uh, so, did you enjoy the game?" Tyler asked her shyly.

She sat down on the bench beside his locker and replied, "Yeah actually. I don't really understand the game or any of the rules. I'm not a hockey fan, to tell you the truth, Mia just brought me here as a visitor."

Bozie looked surprised at first but then they continued talking with each other. She looked more relaxed since she was too clueless to understand that clearly he liked her. She was always the independent type, so she never had time for boys.

"So.." Colton turned to face me, while they still talked on the bench.

"So?"

"What's up?" he put his hands in his pockets.

"Nothing." I answered. "What happened?" I looked down at his leg.

"Fractured my knee. Jordan said I probably need surgery on it." he shrugged.

"Oh. Well, I hope you feel better." I said.

"Thanks." he simply replied.

"Uh, well we'd better get going?" I looked over at Lana who paused her conversation with Tyler.

"You're right." she stood up.

"It, it was nice to meet you." Tyler got up as well.

"You too." she smiled casually. "Bye."

Colton and I stood there looking at them and smiled at each other. "I'll cya later." he said to me.

"Are you going on the trip to Ottawa?" I asked curiously.

"No, they told me to stay back so they can do some more tests. I think I'm missing the game in Philly on Monday as well." he scratched his eyebrow.

"Ok, well I hope you get better." I repeated. He just nodded.

Lana followed behind me and we left the locker room. We went to the staff room and gathered our things. Once we got in my car, I turned on the radio for the 15 minute drive to her house.

"Are you okay?" she said once my car stopped in her driveway.

"Yeah," I smiled. "Why?"

"You seemed kind of disappointed that you won't get to see him until after Monday."

"Well I'm not working on Monday, so I'll be coming back from Ottawa on Sunday." I sighed. "And I dunno, I'm glad it's not a serious injury like a concussion or anything."

"True." she agreed.

"So what did you think of Tyler?" I smiled.

"He's nice I guess."

"Do you like him?"

"Mia," she laughed lightly. "I just met him. I only know his name and jersey number. Besides, I don't even like hockey and I'm sure he'd rather have someone who understands his job."

"Okay." I grinned.

"Thanks for letting me tag along. Have a safe trip to Ottawa." she opened the door and stepped out. "Oh, and think about Kyle, okay? Maybe it would be best if you at least gave him a chance. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for adding Lana like that in the 5th chapter, but she plays an important role throughout the story and probably in the sequel (which won't be for another few months or so, probably)
I had some trouble with the font... when I put the flashback in italics, the whole story became like that. Then I made the font Arial but it's not the same as the beginning of the chapter (and the other chapters before).. It's really annoying. And this new layout has a large space on the right side of the text box on mobile for some reason although it's fine on Mibba.com...

Anyway, Mike Brown got traded to Edmonton today (March 4th) and I'm really upset, but since it's February in the story, he's still on the Leafs. So the update for that will come when it's March 4th IN the story. Good luck to #brownbeaut, he'll be missed.

Zoe's outfit
Lana's outfit
Mia's outfit