Status: cookin' it up

Circle the Drain

Oh

"What can I get for you, young lady?" The kind man asked me as I sat down in the semi-deserted bar. I smiled and ordered a gin and tonic. I arrived in Pittsburgh a few hours before and checked into a cheap hotel, not knowing or really wanting to see Marc-Andre.

"Here you go." He slid the drink in front of me and I handed him a 10 dollar bill. He waved it off.

"It's on the house. You look sad." He gave me a sad smile and told me about his boyfriend. The guy was awfully sweet and funny. It distracted me.

"Hey, Tommy, do you have any job openings here?" I asked him after he told me a story about his cat. I dont think I could stay in that cheap hotel for more than 2 weeks if I didnt get a job. I could always ask those girls down the hall to introduce me to their pimp, I thought bitterly. I was hardly qualified to do anything else, having dropped out of college. Patrick told me he had enough money for anything I could ever want and that he didnt want me to stress out about school so I dropped out. Stupid, I know.

"Yes, actually! One of our bartenders just quit! Have you any experience bartending?" I actually did. I worked as one before I met Patrick. I'm only 19 but my fake ID was very convincing.

"Yeah, I worked in a bar in Chicago." I sipped my drink. He nodded and smiled.

"It's yours! The hours are 7 to 1 am, monday through saturday. Does that sound good? Pay is 16 dollars an hour plus the tips." My jaw dropped. That was a shit load of money. Then again, this place was actually pretty nice.

"Uh yes! Thank you so much!" I was grateful for the kindness Tommy was showing me.

"There's something about you. You'll start tomorrow!" I wrote my information down and he made drinks for some people down the other end.

I felt pretty pathetic being alone in a bar at 2 in the afternoon. I was doing exactly what Patrick did. Tried to drink his problems away. But unlike him, I didnt have someone who loved me waiting at home. Shit, I didnt even have a home.

I tried to help Patrick, I really did. But you cant help someone who doesnt want to change, I found that out the hard way. So here I am, in a strange city having a pity party by myself while I'm too much of a pussy to go and confront my brother.

Someone interrupted my reverie by taking a seat next to me. I looked over and saw a well built, handsome man with pretty brown eyes and brown hair. I gave him a weak smile and took a sip of my drink.

"Hi. I'm Max." He spoke and I shot him a look. He was interrupting my pity party.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to the people who subscribed and the lone commenter! :)

comments are amazing. pretty,pretty please with a cherry on top?

--K<3