Status: Please don't expect fast updates. Procrastination is a bad habit for me.

What's Up, Lonely?

Chapter One

There was nothing special about the way they had met. She didn't meet him backstage at one of his concerts, didn't have any friends with special connections, nor a job that could have possibly led to their meeting. Their very first encounter held little significance to any witnesses that may have been paying them attention; the man had nearly run into the woman as he turned away from the counter. He apologized, they shared a polite smile and then moved on with their business.

Neither of them went to the cafe everyday, but Kagami loved to sit at the table in the back of the room near the window. When she wasn't working she would come here and order some tea or hot chocolate and read some of her favorite books. She didn't converse much with the waitresses and other customers, but she did enjoy their company. Kagami never liked to be alone too long and living in an apartment by herself could get rather lonely at times.

Kagami still saw the man who almost ran into her just over a month ago. They didn't speak, but when she just happened to be paying enough attention to who was entering and leaving the shop they would share a passing glance and smile politely at each other. The man never stayed at the cafe, he would just get his order and go. Today was different, however, and it left Kagami somewhat puzzled when he sat down at the table a few feet from her with his drink. She didn't question it though and decided that he probably just didn't have anywhere to be right away. After all, sometimes it's best to just mind your own business.

As usual Kagami had her nose in a book; a mystery novel to be exact. It was one that she had read several times before, but never tired of it. On any one of her visits she had found it easy to get lost in her books, but now she was finding it difficult to concentrate with the familiar sickening feeling of prying eyes on her. She knew exactly where it was coming from, but could not tell if he was actually watching her; his eyes were hidden behind large, black framed sunglasses. When she had shifted her gaze to him he had definitely been looking in her direction, but he turned away at that moment when one of the waitresses approached him with a fresh pot of coffee.

Returning her gaze to her novel, she tried to rationalize that he may have just been looking out the window and not intentionally at her. She sipped diligently at her peach tea and continued to try and focus on the page, still feeling uneasy.

She lifted her gaze again upon sensing someone's approach and smiled uncertainly at the man now standing sheepishly at the other end of her small, round table. The familiar stranger was not much taller than herself. If she had to guess, she would say that he was somewhere around 5'7'. He was just as thin and pale as the last time she had seen him. His long blonde hair draped loosely over his shoulders and framed his slender face. She also noticed that he had removed his sunglasses and placed them in the front pocket of his black leather jacket. His eyes were a deep chocolate brown surrounded by thick eyelashes. His gaze was warm and steady and never left her own eyes.

Kagami slowly marked her place and closed the book, waiting patiently for the man to speak.

“I'm very sorry, Miss, I don't mean to bother you,” he began, his voice light and friendly, “but I was hoping that you would allow me to sit with you?”

For a moment Kagami was silent. His behavior and soft spoken voice suggested that he was indeed the shy, quiet type. However there was something in his eyes that was telling her differently, though she could sense no ill intent from this man. He seemed genuine enough.

He bit his bottom lip nervously, waiting for her to reply and she couldn't help thinking it was cute. He was undoubtedly handsome despite his soft facial features.

She smiled sweetly and made a small gesture toward the open seat across from her.
“Of course,” she answered, her own voice sounding a soft soprano. Kagami watched his eyes light up and a small grin graced his pale pink lips as he took the empty seat. The sight made her heart flutter and she felt her own smile widen. She did like making people happy whenever it was deserved.

He was now able to look her in the eyes again, but it was clear that his nerves still had not escaped him. When he spoke moments ago his speech did not falter, rather it had been calm and deliberate though his uncertainty and lack of self confidence had shown through. Kagami was under the impression that this was a man who was used to doing some sort of public speaking regularly, but it threw her off to know that such a person would be afraid to speak to a stranger in such a casual setting.

“My name is Terachi, Shinya,” he spoke again and extended his hand politely. Kagami continued to smile and took his hand in hers. It was warm and calloused which surprised her given his fragile appearance.

“I'm Matsuo, Kagami. It's very nice to officially meet you, Shinya-san.”

Shinya laughed quietly and looked away shyly. “I'm sorry,” he apologized, at which Kagami tilted her head slightly in silent question, “I've been wanting to speak to you, but I was never sure how to approach you without seeming like a weirdo,” he explained with another quiet laugh.

Kagami giggled and pushed back a strand of reddish brown hair, her green eyes glittering brilliantly behind her black framed glasses. He looked up, almost startled at the innocent sound. His expression softened and he smiled serenely. “You don't have to apologize,” she assured him. A light shade of red flooded Shinya's cheeks and he looked back down at the table.

For a moment he stayed silent, unsure of what to say next. Then his eyes found the book that she had been reading earlier now abandoned on the table. “So um... what book are you reading?” Shinya asked hesitantly and almost winced at the lameness of the question. At least she hadn't told him to go away yet. Kagami turned her attention to the forgotten novel and absently ran her hand over the cover.

And so from there the two familiar strangers fell into a pleasant flow of conversation. They talked about a range of things from personal interests to whatever was currently going on in the world. It still unnerved him to talk about himself in such a way, but the resentment of his fears were much stronger than the desire to just shut up and walk away. He stayed clear of the topic of occupation and was thankful that Kagami had taken the hint and didn't ask. Though she really didn't seem like that type of person, he still didn't want her to know just yet. Perhaps he was afraid if she know then she would act differently and only see him for what he was and not who he was.

He did feel silly about that after a while of talking to her, but just to be safe, he wanted her to know the real Shinya and not just the drummer from Dir En Grey. Not that there was anything wrong with him...

It wasn't that Shinya felt threatened or anything by this woman; he was afraid that he would lose her before he actually had her. Truth be told, Shinya really thought he had finally found the friend he was looking for and for the first time in nearly a year he could feel the anger in his heart slow to and standstill. For the first time in nearly a year... he was happy.