Prophet

Ugh Doing Titles Makes Me Sad

Sadie wakes up to feel Death’s hand around her ankle. His skin is familiar and comforting. She smiles into her pillows and turns over to speak. “Hey. Is it time to get up yet?”
Reaching, she puts a hand over his mouth to feel his smile. “No. The sun hasn’t risen yet. The boys are asleep.”
She smiles in his direction and says, “Was I dreaming too hard?”
“Yes. You were squirming.” He squeezes lightly and she can feel his smile again. “Now you are still.”
Sadie puts her forearm over her eyes and lets out a breath. “Do they allow dogs in Heaven?”
“Yes.” Death’s voice is soft and amused.
“Can we get one?”
“Of course.” His hand is taken off her ankle and she hears him moving around, settling near her head. A thin hand strokes through her hair and she smiles. It’s quiet, but she can hear the soft thrum of the tanks holding Balor’s snakes. Sadie nuzzles a little closer to her hip and shuts her eyes.
“Alrighty. I’m gonna sleep now.”
“Goodnight, Sadie.”

Balor wakes up to warm breath on the back of his neck, arms around his waist, feet tucked between his. Valentine. He turns around, pushes his face into the curve of Valentine’s neck. He can feel the pulse of his stolen blood. “Valentine? You awake?”
Valentine’s voice is a low murmur. “You can call me Val, honey.” He nods sleepily into Valentine’s collarbone.
“Val, I’m gonna have to leave eventually. Run away.”
“Mhm. I got that.”
“I haven’t solved your brain thing. Do you, uh, wanna come with?”
Balor is tired, but he’s sure he feels Valentine press a kiss to his forehead. “Yeah.”
Balor turns over again, satisfied, shifting until Valentine’s arm is around him again. “Kay.”