Prophet

Chocolates

There’s a fire burning when Sadie wakes up. She can smell it, the smoke hot and pungent. For a moment she’s panicked, trained to avoid fire since her eyes went. She’s burned herself often enough. But there’s someone in the room with her, she can feel them. People like Death, filled with energy, take up space in a way no one human can.

“Hello?”

She hears the person stand, take a step towards her. The fire crackles, making her jump.

“Sadie! Just wanted to pop in for a visit.”

It’s Gabriel. His voice is very distinctive, snappy and sing-song. She pictures him as impish looking, probably thin and slightly disheveled, always smirking. And winged, of course.

“Hello, Gabriel.” She throws a smile where she last heard his voice and smoothes down the front of her dress. “Would you like something to drink? There might be tea left over...”

He laughs and steps past her, close enough for Sadie to feel ozone sparking against her skin.

“No thanks. I won’t be long. Wanted to give you something.” There’s the sound of movement as he fishes for something in his clothes. Sadie holds a hand out, waiting. She’s curious about the kind of gift an angel might bring. A halo, perhaps? Wrappers crinkle as they’re pressed into her palm. He’s given her candy. “They’re chocolate. The good kind.” Sadie just knows that he winked. It’s the kind of thing he’d do. “Only the best for my favorite prophet.”

She frowns at him, reminded of his meddling, but doesn’t say anything besides, “Thank you.”

She’ll enjoy the chocolates later, share them with Death.

“You’re going to, uh, receive a few visions soon,” Gabriel says, sounding almost guilty.

Sadie can hear him chewing, probably candy of his own.

“Thanks for the warning,” she says quietly, sarcastic.

It still makes Sadie angry, her lack of control.

“Enjoy the candy,” Gabriel says, disappearing with a rustle of wings.

Sadie’s reading when Death returns. She asked for a book in Braille, heard the noises and felt a weight in her hand. The book is 1984. Sadie usually prefers modern English literature, Terry Pratchett and the like, but George Orwell will do fine. Her lips move as she reads, totally absorbed, which is why she doesn’t notice when Death arrives.

“Sadie.”

She startles, turning her face towards him.

“Oh! Hello.”

He takes a seat next to her, noting the chocolates and the smell of smoke. Gabriel was here, messing around with the shape of his home to add a fireplace. He sighs, resigned. No harm was done.

“Gabriel was here.”

She nods distractedly, turning a page.

“Mhm. He brought chocolates. You can have some.”

Death takes one, wondering if she’s always this unfocused when reading. The candy is delicious, of course. Most likely Swiss. Gabriel does love his candy. He waits a bit, for Sadie to come back to him. She doesn’t, so Death remains comfortably next to her, absently humming a Sumerian lullaby as Sadie reads.