Prophet

Bloodstains

Sadie wakes up with a headache that’s so strong even her teeth ache. It’s like someone is slamming a hammer against the base of her skull. She can hear herself groan, but it’s muffled and far off. Images and sounds float through her head.
People screaming, the curve of a smile, someone struggling for breath in great heaving sobs. She curls up as the vision gets clearer. There’s a woman standing in the middle of an empty field, dark hair covering her face.
Sadie can only see her back, that her hands are shaking and stained black. The woman’s left shoulder twitches as she turns to face Sadie. Her mouth is distended, lips cracked and bloody over fangs that are too big to fit properly. She makes a low chuckling noise as she steps towards Sadie, shoulder twitching again, bulging through her skin like there’s something angry trapped inside her.
The woman lurches forward on legs that are suddenly too long, falls to her knees with a crackle of bone. She reaches out with fingers that keep changing, nails lengthening into claws and back. Sadie can hear screams as the woman’s head lolls to the side.
“Come to me,” she mumbles, eyes focused somewhere behind Sadie.
Heat licks across the back of Sadie’s head, pushing her hair forward in a blast of wind. The woman whines in the back of her throat and begins to fade away, bloodstained mouth the last part to disappear.