Status: In Progress

The Darkest Storm

Interlude

Silence is a powerful force.

It can produce profound emotions or conjure startling sensory experiences, and it seems inextricably linked to the passage of time. It can creep into the very crevasses of an individual’s mind where they wish not to enter. It can alter the thoughts of a person, forcing them to feel weak, vulnerable, and even helpless. Silence can deter all hope and effort to remain vigilant to a cause, turning cheeks to focus towards a path of destruction, mayhem, and angst, where a person knows pain cannot be avoided but faced head on.

And in this moment, it was inescapable.

Darcy saw it then, the desperate attempt as to why Daryl needed to find Sophia: she stood for the chance that hope was still real, that better circumstances could be fought for and reached.

The times that she now lived in were inevitable; death surrounded her and those she had grown to love. At any moment it could reach out its pale cold hand and consume the ones around her. Death couldn’t be stopped no matter how hard she fought, and the more Darcy let silence consume her mind, the more it told her that everything in the world was lost forever and could never be recovered again.

But, Darcy was stronger than that. It was just a spark, but it was enough to keep her going. And when she flickered her eyes to the one friend who found her in the woods only weeks ago, holding the mother of the lost child, the spark reignited itself into the flame that got her through those days when she was all alone and struggling to survive.

He would just have to be the hope she held on to, the only thing she knew that would keep her alive; she just prayed she wouldn’t fall too deep so that in case death took him, it would be the end of her as well.

Although, she feared she may have already approached that line.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers - obviously this is not a chapter per say, but a sign of things to come for the future. I really wanted to take a different approach on this story from the beginning, to set it aside from the other stories that all seem so similar. So basically, the title defines this chapter. No, this does not mean I'm taking a break or refusing to go onward, I'm actually working on the next part now. It's just the transition in Darcy's mind, essentially, and for the others as well. Please, let me know what you think - and even what you believe is going to happen. The rest of the second season is pretty explanatory, but come third, I really hope I'll make you guys have your jaws on the floor.

Jane