Status: In Progress

The Darkest Storm

Pointing Fingers

“Beth collapsed.”

The voice was out of breath, panicky, and desperate. Darcy looked up from the barn stall with a handful of hay, feeding the greedy horse she came to love. It was Lori who stared back at her with wide eyes and hands on her hips, waiting for any type of response.

They were all exhausted. Emotionally, mentally, and physically. Darcy could feel that any one of them was on the verge of a breakdown, or worse. After moving the bodies, Darcy just wanted to be alone and she was sure that more than half of the group felt the same way.

Darcy blinked, “She just lost her mother – she’s in shock.” Subtly shaking her head thinking the answer was obvious, Darcy turned back to the horse.

“No,” Lori sighed, putting her hands together and walking towards Darcy. “I know that, I just…we can’t find Hershel and she’s blowin’ up a fever and Rick went after him awhile ago and they aren’t back yet and…”

Darcy turned and narrowed her eyes at the frantic woman, “Whoa, Lori, calm down.” Lori took a deep breath and brought her hand up to her forehead.

Darcy let the few strands of hay fall to the ground as she took a step towards her. Rubbing her hands to get the feeling off she asked, “What do you want me to do?”

Lori looked down, embarrassed almost, she was asking the two who had constantly been searching for Sophia to go out on another wild goose chase.

“I need you, and Daryl, to go on a run into town and bring them back.” Her eyes were pleading, completely serious, and they told Darcy she clearly had no idea what else she could do.

Darcy crossed her arms, “Why us? Why not Shane or-“

“Shane is a loose cannon and I don’t trust him – and after what he did, I don’t think Rick or Hershel would even listen to him.” Lori shook her head and Darcy nodded, satisfied with that answer. “You and Daryl both work well with each other and you’re quiet, you’re careful…in case they’re in trouble, you two are the only ones able to bring them back.”

Darcy put her hands on her hips, and looked towards the ground in thought. “I haven’t seen Daryl since Sophia’s funeral…”

“He’s out by that old rock wall.” Lori jerked her head to the side. “Moved his tent out there this morning.”

“What?” Darcy asked in disbelief. She walked briskly to the entrance of the barn, bringing both hands up to shield her eyes and peer off into the distance. She knew she couldn’t see him even if she tried, that spot was on the far edge of the forest line, far away from everybody. Far away from her.

Lori followed her, “I need you to talk to him. He won’t listen to anybody else. He even yelled at Carol.”

Darcy scoffed and backed away, “And what makes you think he won’t do the same to me?”

“Darcy, please. I’m begging you, I-I don’t know what else to do and I’ve got Carl-“

Darcy sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of her nose, “Alright, I’ll talk to him.”

Lori let out a relieved sigh, “Thank you,” She stepped forward, hugging the woman tightly, “Thank you.”

-

Darcy wrapped her arms around herself and stared upwards at the cloudy grey skies. It looked like a storm was brewing. She had on her fitted leather jacket and her hair tied back in a braid. Walking slowly through the camp pathway and onto the grass, Darcy peered again across the grounds. Lori said she’d seen Daryl slipping out there after Sophia’s funeral so she’d guessed that was a natural place to start looking.

Trying to remember exactly where the old brick wall was, she headed right as she continued to walk across the empty fields, eyes scanning the sloping landscape ahead of her for any trace of him. Her eyes grazed across the tree line…and stopped.

There he was, slumped against the rocks, sharpening a stick with his knife that he would most likely use for a new arrow. He looked up and saw her, holding her emotionless gaze for a moment before looking back down at the forming-arrow as it strained against his hold by the fire.

“Tryin’ to get away from you people.” He called over, his voice giving nothing away.

’You people?’” Darcy asked, narrowing her eyes and looking away. When Daryl didn’t answer, Darcy walked over around the wall, seeing the tent that was in fact set up for him, and only him. Darcy hung her head in aggravation as she sauntered back over to him.

Darcy waited, wondering which of them would give in first and walk across to the other. After a moment she sighed, and decided to take the higher stand. She headed over, hands on her hips as she watched her footing and stood in front of him, glancing at him quickly before putting her hands in the back pockets of her black skinny jeans.

“What?” He asked blandly towards her, not bothering to glance up at her. Daryl knew he’d cave if he did.

“Did you forget that we share the same tent?” Darcy looked at him sadly.

“Your stuff’s in the RV.” Daryl motioned his newly carved arrow lazily towards camp.

Darcy bit her lip forcibly, trying to hold back her quick temper. “Lori asked us to go and get Rick and Hershel. I need you to come with me.” She didn’t ask, and her tone was anything but patient.

“Her bitch went window-shopping. If she wants him, she can go ‘n fetch him herself.” The sound of the knife clawing against the stick was getting on Darcy’s last nerve. “I got better things to do.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Darcy snapped, making Daryl look up at her finally.

“What’s wrong with me?” He yelled back, standing up and circling her slightly. “Listen to me. You tell Olive Oyl I was out there lookin’ for that lil’ girl every single day.” He pointed with his knife, “I took a bullet and ‘n arrow in the process so don’ you tell me ‘bout gettin’ my hands dirty! She wants those idiots have a nice ride. I’m done lookin’ for people.”

“So that’s it then?” Darcy took a step forward, “You’re gonna hide out here away from everybody else because you just can’t be bothered with? What about me?”

“What about you?” He narrowed his eyes and gave an annoyed shrug, completely calloused.

Darcy held his quiet yet angry gaze, listening to the sounds of the thunder clouds starting to roll in and as the wind picked up around them. Suddenly, Darcy felt rather guilty. For the past few weeks she’d practically abandoned all she promised herself she wouldn’t do; and now the twist in her gut told her she should have listened to her instincts. Darcy shook her head and held up her hand to him, not wanting to deal with that conversation whatsoever, and turned to walk away.

“It meant nothin’.” Daryl called out to her, his voice taunting her with every word as they rolled off his southern tongue.

Darcy stopped in her tracks and turned back to face him, eyes nervous and agitated. She tilting her head trying to understand if he meant anything but what she knew he was referring to.

“What meant nothing?”

“That kiss.” Daryl curved his lips into a smirk and held a certain glint in his eyes, the kind that was purposely trying to knock her down with him. “’Meant nothin’.” He spat, as he took a confident stride towards her.

Darcy scoffed, though, not letting him know in the slightest he had started a spark and stood her ground. “You mean your pathetic attempt to show that you actually care about someone other than yourself? Don’t worry, it’s long forgotten.”

“I don’ care ‘bout ya.” Daryl shook his head. “Don’ care about nobody here.”

“Bullshit.” Darcy said, once again trying to turn away from him.

“You’re one to talk.” He called out to her again. “Followin’ me around like some sick puppy. Not knowin’ where else to go or what to do with y’self.” He sneered.

Fury took over her. Darcy walked back over towards him, “Let’s take a step back, shall we? You were the one who followed me back on the road and had Rick ask me to find your dick of a brother…”

Daryl stepped forward with the mention of Merle threateningly, but Darcy continued onwards, “…you’re the one who convinced me, who wanted me to stay with the group in the first place, the one who said you’re sorry after every mood-swing and temper tantrum you threw in my face…”

Darcy pointed at him, raising her voice with every word. “…You were the one who insisted in wrapping my arm up and hiding my bow so I couldn’t use it and then said, ‘I only did it to make sure you were gonna be okay.’” She mocked.

“Yeah, but no, you’re right. I followed you around.” Darcy saw as Daryl avoided her gaze, as he stared at the ground, not having anything to retort back but merely blinked softly and listened as if she was actually getting though to him. He listened though, not interrupting or even making a sound as he struggled to take it all in. Darcy was surprised he hadn’t walked away by now and actually listened.

“And I didn’t say I didn’t care about you, Daryl, or for anyone else for that matter. I’m not some arrogant asshole who’s too afraid to admit that I care for the people in this group. And that’s why if you aren’t coming with me, I’m still going after Rick and Hershel. I’ll go by myself if I have to.”

“You ain’t goin’.” Daryl stepped forward again, and Darcy just scoffed and walked backwards away from him shaking her head.

“What does it matter to you? You clearly want nothing to do with me,” She bobbed her head towards their old tent, “and you’ve already said you don’t care about anyone but yourself. So please, don’t strain yourself pretending to worry.”

Daryl’s tone instantly softened along with his features. “Darcy –“

“If this is your way of grieving for Sophia, go right ahead – I saw your face when she came out of that barn – I know how much it meant to you about finding her and I’m sorry that it ended up the way it did. But these things are going to keep happening and we can’t stop it.” Darcy took a step forward.

“But if you do this, soon you’re going to realize that the more you push yourself away, the less we are going to try and bring you back.”

The silence returned as both hunters tried to comprehend just how much everything would change from then on between them. Daryl didn’t say another word, but let his hair flow smoothly against his forehead with the slight breeze as his icy blue eyes continued to stare down at the driven and bold-headed woman in front of him. Her amber eyes bore into his, expecting him to come back to camp, to go with her to find Rick, to do something. But across from her, Daryl said nothing; he just stood motionless and watched.

It was Daryl who eventually broke the stare that gave him the familiar frightening feeling and stared back down at the dusted ground as he heard her give a slight ‘huff’ and dropped her head. A minute of silence passed between the two, only the slight sounds of the wind and the moo’s of the plenty of cattle around the farm reached their ears. With one last cold, but clouded with sadness glance, Darcy turned around and headed back towards the house, leaving Daryl behind without a second thought.

As he watched Darcy turn her back on him, walking slowly away, he tried to keep telling himself that she didn’t matter. In the back of his mind though, he knew it wasn’t true.

-

Darcy walked the gravel road with her usual supplies: her pack, guns, bow, and a map. Defiant of Daryl’s poor command to stop her, she took it upon herself to go out and pick up on the trail that would lead her to Rick, Glenn, and Hershel. She had asked Maggie to borrow the county map, saying that the town wasn’t too far as a walking distance. With the sun slowly setting over the horizon, however, Maggie didn’t recommend it.

Of course, Darcy didn’t listen as she continued that streak for the day. A car would be too loud anyways, and with Daryl’s past experience with a horse, Darcy didn’t want to take her chances with that either. So now, she found herself facing a long, deserted walk towards a town that she had never been too, probably setting herself up to a full pack of walkers any minute now.

Darcy twirled the map in all different directions, seeing if there was any easier way to get there through the woods or a field. Sighing, she folded up the faded piece of paper and stuck it into her pack, continuing to walk in the direction that would eventually lead her to the small town.

Suddenly, headlights appeared around her, and she quickly turned around with her hand up covering her eyes at the car a few hundred feet away from her. What made her dive into the ditch along the side of the road was the fact that the car was completely unfamiliar to her.

Keeping low, she waited as the rolling engine passed by in the direction she was headed. She had to get moving, they would find the town and maybe even run into trouble with the three of her own. It was beginning to reach that point where now, the others weren’t going to be too fond of letting anyone else in the group after all they’d been through. Darcy quickly counted her blessing of Daryl finding her when he did.

Damn you Dixon. She quietly swore to herself, still on edge from their heated fight.

Darcy shook her head and put that out of her mind for now and instead picked up her pace. She ran, knowing walking wasn’t going to do any good if trouble came to that town, surprisingly only to come through to a clearing that held the sign for the town only a few minutes from where she was. She couldn’t see the car that had passed her on the road before, but she still kept quiet and low, not taking any chances.

Darcy decided to take a perimeter run first. The town was surprisingly small, well, the section where the bar was. Maggie had told her to look there because most likely, that’s where they’d be since Hershel “used to be a drunk,” in Maggie’s words.

Darcy edged around the side of the building, trying to peer into the dust and dirt covered windows that couldn’t let her see a speck inside. Sighing, she pulled out her bow and readied it in her grasp as she came upon the front doors. Putting her ear up to the old wood, she could hear faint sounds of talking coming from the other side.

Darcy stood up, pulling her bow back just in case and pushing the door open with her left food slowly before stepping inside and receiving immediate stares from not only those she came for, but two strangers as well.

The first unfamiliar man stood up, giving her a slither of a smile as he held his back towards Rick and the others. “Well, hello beautiful.”

Darcy kept silent, still having her bow aimed at the man when she saw the glint in Rick’s eyes. They bore into hers as if he was warning her about the two strangers. She said nothing in reply.

“Is she ‘part of your group?” Rick asked the man, and Darcy immediately understood.

The man who stood up to greet her shook his head as he looked back at Rick, “Nope, Tony, you seen this lady before?”

A larger man in the corner was kneeling against an old piano, “Nope, sure is a shame though.”

Darcy rolled her eyes as he spoke again, “Sweetheart why don’t you set that weapon of yours down and come have a drink with us? Don’t want to hurt yourself.” He winked, sitting down again and motioning with his hand for her to follow.

Darcy watched him carefully glancing over at Hershel. He gave her one shake of his head, telling her not to chance the shot even though he knew she could make it quite easily. So she listened, lowering her bow and walking over to the far side of the counter away from the others so she played off Rick’s plan. Darcy set her bow carefully on the counter but didn’t take her hand off of it, the eyes of the sleeveless man still on her.

He gave a slight laugh, “I’m Dave.”

She hesitated, “Darcy.”

“We’re meeting all sorts of new friends today eh Tony?” Dave glanced back over his shoulder and the large man snickered. “Well, this here is Rick, Glenn, and Hershel, who just quit drinking.”

Darcy let her eyes glance to the other three, staying quiet. “So what, you-are you all alone out here too?”

“Just traveling through.” She said.

Dave nodded, “Don’t have much on you for just traveling through.” He smiled, watching Darcy as she flickered her eyes towards Rick and Glenn. “You mean to tell me you’ve survived this long on your own, pretty lady?”

“Are you uncomfortable with the idea that I have?” Darcy narrowed her eyes.

Dave put up his hands in a playful way, “Nope. Just trying to pick up survival tips since, uh, these guys won’t tell us where their farm is.” Darcy nodded and looked down at her hand that clasped her bow. Her knuckles where turning white.

Dave turned back to Rick; “You won’t take her in either, huh?”

“I prefer to be by myself.” Darcy answered for Rick, giving him a nod.

“Well, hold on I mean- this farm it sounds sweet. Don’t it sound sweet, Tony?” Dave asked his friend, who the whole time, could not stop staring up Darcy.

“Sure does. Hey baby girl, you can come stand by me if you don’t feel safe over there by yourself.” Tony said in a sickly sweet, malicious tone, as he winked and brought his shot glass to his lips to take a sip.

In a quick motion, before the others had their guns raised, Darcy had lifted her bow and shot the glass directly out of his pudgy fingers, shattering it against the wall behind him.

“Nice shot!” Dave was laughing, standing up and having his rifle raised and aimed lazily at Darcy. She kept an emotionless gazed with her eyes slightly narrowed, holding back a smirk at the large man looking back and forth between his shattered glass and his hand, still trying to figure out what exactly happened.

“You bitch!” Tony yelled.

“Now, now, Tony. It’s all in good fun. Let’s get back to this farm.” Dave told him, sitting back down and placing his pistol on the table to show everyone he was calm.

“How about a little southern hospitality?” It was clear Dave was set on taking their farm, and Darcy watched as she re-lowered her bow and waited for Rick to answer. “We got some buddies back at camp, been having a real hard time. I don’t see why you can’t make room for a few more. We can pool our resources, our manpower.”

“Look, I’m sorry. That’s not an option.” Rick shook his head.

“Doesn’t sound like it’d be a problem.” Dave raised his eyebrows.

“I’m sorry, we can’t.” Hershel’s soft and exhausted voice spoke up.

“We can’t take in anymore.” Rick finished.

Dave chuckled and put a finger up to his temple, “You guys are something else. I thought – I thought we were friends. We got people we gotta look out for too.”

“We don’t know anything about you.” Rick shrugged, un-phased.

Dave leaned forward in his chair, “No, that’s true. You don’t know anything about us. You don’t know what we’ve had to go through out there, the things we’ve had to do. I bet you’ve had to do some of those same things yourself, am I right?”

Darcy stared intently at Rick, leaning against the counter with both arms and thanking God he was an ex-cop. Otherwise, a normal person would’ve bought Dave’s sob story a long time ago. Darcy knew Rick didn’t trust him, and the way he toned his voice told her the same. They needed to get out of there, and quick.

“So come on, let’s – let’s take a nice friendly hayride to this farm and we’ll get to know each other.” Dave finished.

“That’s not gonna happen.” Rick said.

“This is bullshit.” Tony exclaimed.

“Calm down.” Rick sneered.

“Don’t tell me to calm down, don’t ever tell me to calm down. I’ll shoot you three assholes in the head and take your damn farm!” Ton yelled, making Rick stand up and walk towards him. This also caused Darcy to step forward, and Dave as well.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, relax! Take it easy. Nobody’s killing anybody.” He held out his arm to Tony, turning around and noticing that Darcy had stepped forward as well. He looked back and forth between Rick, and Darcy a few times before smiling, “You sure you don’t know each other?”

Before they could answer, he shrugged it off and jumped behind the bar counter and placed his gun towards Rick on the hard wood. “Nobody’s shooting anybody. We’re just friends having a drink, that’s all.” Looking around the room, Dave kept moving his hands around, making Darcy anxious.

“Now, where’s the good stuff? Good stuff, good stuff, good stuff…” Dave rubbed his hands together; kneeling behind the counter and grabbing a bottle that made Rick put his hand towards his gun. Dave held it out to him to show him what it was and Rick slowly lowered his hand again towards his side.

As Dave poured the drink, all eyes were on him. “Now, you gotta understand – we can’t stay out there. You know what it’s like.”

“Yeah, I do.” Rick nodded. “But the farm is too crowded as is. I’m sorry. You’ll have to keep looking.”

“Keep looking.” Dave repeated Rick’s words. “Where do you suggest we do that?”

“I don’t know.” Rick shook his head, “I hear Nebraska’s nice.”

Dave stepped closer to the counter and laughed, “Nebraska.” Darcy saw his hand twitch. “This guy.”

It happened in an instant. Rick was faster, raising his gun up to Dave and firing while Darcy immediately lifted her own gun and shot Tony behind him, seeing he had begun to raise his weapon as well.

The four stared in silence, chests heaving, hearts pumping with adrenaline. Rick stood over Tony once more, firing where Darcy didn’t hit: his head.

There’s a saying somewhere that when you kill someone, your mind immediately shuts down and tries to comprehend the events that lead up to that moment. It says it changes you as a person, for the worse, and you never truly go back to your original mentality. But as the four stood over the body, watching as his blood pooled over the wooden floors, they felt none of those things.

They only felt more safe than they did before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Phew! That was a lot of work. Hope you enjoyed & let me know what you think!

Jane