Status: In Progress

The Darkest Storm

Topside

It had all finally caught up to her, the alarm blaring throughout the halls and vacant rooms of the CVC, signaling to the world it would not be able to discover a cure for this madness. It released a chaos, causing everyone to twist and turn each way, bumping into each other and everything around them, desperate to understand what was happening.

The CVC was not at all what it had seemed to be, what once was a newly found haven was a ticking time bomb ready to go as soon as the time of the clock on the wall reached zero.

It all happened so fast, more than any even that Darcy could ever remember in her entire life. The screams, the doors closing, the panic. The Doctor, the one who had intended to lock them all in there from the start, the one who just wanted a simpler death for everyone there, was now dead inside that building with one of their own.

“Did you just lock us in?” Glenn panicked, looking back and forth from the Doctor to the doors. With no answer, Glenn yelled, “He just locked us in!”

The words hit Darcy’s ears slowly, and she turned and saw Daryl facing her across the room with a look of fear yet pure anger emitting from his sharp features. She watched as his eyes darted to Jenner with rage, running over to him and grabbing the Doctor from his collar, demanding him to open the doors.

Shane took off as soon as Darcy had, running over to Daryl and pulling his grip off from the Doctor, who all but seemed unwilling to even care. Shane grabbed Daryl by his waist as Darcy snatched the whisky bottled out of his hands and tossed it to the side of the room, hearing the sound of breaking glass as it did.

With her hands on her hips and not daring to look back at Daryl, she directed her stance towards the Doctor, “Open that door now.” She gritted her teeth.

“It won’t make a difference.” He calmly said.

Rick stepped forward, “Open the door.”

“There’s no point! Everything topside is locked down. The emergency exists are sealed.”

“Well, open the damn things!” Dale yelled.

Jenner started to get frustrated, “That’s not something I control, the computers do.”

Darcy took a step forward and pointed at the key card next to him, “But you can control these doors in here – open them.”

He shook his head, “I told you once that front door closed, it wouldn’t open again. You heard me say that.”

“If we had known about this we wouldn’t have bothered!” Darcy yelled.

“It’s better this way.” Jenner said.

“What is?” Rick snapped, looking at the clock. “What happens in 28 minutes?”


“GO GO GO!” Rick screamed, leading the group and sprinting through the parking lot and towards the vehicles. The corpses staggered towards them in the commotion, making Daryl turn towards them mid-run and fire the shattered bullet fragments of a shotgun in their skull.

Darcy’s heartbeat pounded loudly in her ears, looking down at her worn out brown leather watch as she had timed it with the clock in the lab. As the seconds grew nearer to zero all sounds faded out from her mind, and only the ticking of what time was left taunted her.

Darcy passed the RV as half of the group climbed inside and took cover, only to hear the shouts of Rick to “get down.”

“Dale! Get down!” Darcy heard Lori scream, which meant that Dale had managed to get Andrea out alive and to safety, but Jacqui was still inside.

“Let us keep trying as long as we can.” Lori cried.

The Doctor shook his head, but not in agreement, only finally seeing the argument of the underlying hope that the group was essentially fighting for and reached over to open the heavy metal doors. “I told you, topside’s locked down. I can’t open those.”

A chance of survival once again sparked the hearts of the group as they ran towards the opening without hesitation. Darcy held back though, noticing Jacqui hadn’t budged or cracked a sigh of relief as the rest.

“Darcy, let’s go!” Daryl yelled from the opening, waving for her to move forward.

“Hey! We’ve got four minutes left, come on!” Glenn screamed her way, and Darcy started to move her feet once T-Dog had ran down to get Jacqui.

“Let’s go! Let’s go.” He pulled her forward, but she protested.

“No no, I’m staying!” Jacqui ripped herself from his grasp. “I’m staying, sweetie.”

Darcy stopped by Glenn, as Carl snatched her hand for comfort and she looked back at Jacqui once more, feeling Daryl’s eyes burning into her back.

“But that’s insane!” T-Dog grabbed her once more, but Jacqui pulled away again.

“No, it’s completely sane! For the first time in a long time. I’m not ending up like Jim and Amy.” She looked at T-Dog. “There’s not time to argue and no point…”

Daryl couldn’t wait anymore, grabbing Darcy’s hand with force and pulling her along side him into the hallways and topside with the others.


Darcy turned, caught up in the moment to see Dale and Andrea dive to the ground before feeling an arm around her waist that began to lift her up. As she was thrown along the worn seat of Daryl’s old pick-up truck, the blistering breeze of the explosion whipped through her hair and on her skin. She covered her face with her elbow, writhing herself into the soft leather as much as she could before feeling the weight of Daryl dive on top of her, his face nuzzling into her neck and his hand holding her wrist as they both closed their eyes and waited for it to all be over.

With the sounds of the explosion slowly fading, the truck became stuffy and hot only a moment later, and even with the door still flung wide open the immense heat ceased to stop even through it’s smoke. Darcy’s ears were ringing, one hand clutching the seat and the other firmly grasping Daryl’s collar, knuckles white.

Darcy felt the weight of Daryl’s head lift up slowly and she soon followed suit, even though everything inside of her was telling her to stay hidden and just rest, to stay with her eyes shut tight and safe. Darcy merely was seen glancing around her only to find herself hidden in Daryl’s truck and tucked safe away in his arms, there was some comfort after all. They both sat up, Daryl having a tight grip on the steering wheel and staring at the fragments of what was left of the building while slowly edging his fingertips away from Darcy’s hand he held previously.

Darcy let her chest rise and fall heavily, eyes still wide and slightly burning from the immense heat of the explosion, just trying to catch her breath. She looked back to Shane in his jeep who held the same expression as she did and he nodded towards her saying he was okay.

The air was quiet; it had been as if time had suddenly stopped after that point, even after the increasing tension and suspense. Darcy quickly was in an impatient mood to leave the area, knowing fully well that every walker miles out was bound to be heading their way.

Daryl picked up on it with no second thought, turning the truck’s keys and pressing on the gas slightly to motion up ahead they should get moving. Darcy glanced at him, her mouth slightly ajar, and reached out a steady hand when something bugged her.

Daryl looked panicked all of a sudden, watching her and flinched slightly. Darcy tilted her head, pulling her hand back lightly to let him know she wasn’t going to hurt him and simply flattened the bit of his collar she had held before.

The feeling of her touch sent a different kind of sensation throughout his body, enjoying the comfort she emitted without trying. Darcy chose not to ask why he flinched, as she knew it was none of her business. He nodded at her and she returned it, the same nod that showed how the two communicated with each other.

Darcy leaned back and looked forward at the sight again, but Daryl kept his eyes on her and scanned her messy locks that fell in her face as well as the dirt that was back in it’s place on her features. She still looked as beautiful as ever to him, and he secretly kept it to himself as he found himself doing more and more each day. Throughout all the madness he kept his eye on her, making sure she was behind him the whole time, making sure she was safe.

A slight honk on the horn from Shane behind them made Daryl jump, causing him to cough and turn forward again, noticing the rest of the group had started to leave the area. Darcy turned towards the window, putting her hand over her mouth to hide her smirk. She was starting to pick up on the small things Daryl would do around her and she was regrettably beginning to enjoy it.

After trying so hard to stay strong and not dig a relationship too deep with this group, Darcy found herself holding onto each and every one of them in a matter of days. It scared her, knowing the person next to her would be the closest, her best friend to come. It scared her that one day they might all be gone and she would be all alone.

I can’t think that way anymore. Things are different. She thought. And Darcy was right, Rick had finally brought it to life for her back in the lab and it might as well be so simple now.

”That’s all we want – a choice, a chance.”He said. Darcy wanted the choice to care for these people, and the chance to do it before it was too late.

-

They followed the group without wondering where they were leading them to, knowing somewhere in the back of their minds they were attempting to reach Fort Benning.

“Ain’t gonna make it.” Daryl’s voice fainted out, causing Darcy to snap out of her thoughts. She leaned over, checking the gas meter and sighed.

“Damn.” Darcy leaned back into her seat. “We’ll probably scrounge from some cars along the way, set up camp for a night…God, I just can’t believe he was going to lock us in there.” She pushed her hair back and sighed heavily, the anxiety of a time limit being placed on her life came into realization and flooded her mind.

“Made it out, no use thinkin’ bout it any more.” Daryl told her, shaking his head and not taking his eyes of the road.

Darcy picked up one of the sharper arrows of her set and leaned back against the seat, propping one of her feet up on the dashboard as they continued along the road with the RV in the lead. Within a few minutes, Daryl spoke up again and nodded on the side of Darcy’s window.

“Walkers.” His tone was serious, but not worried as the lifeless bodies wobbled their way in the opposite direction towards the remains of the CVC.

“The blast probably caught their attention.” Darcy mumbled, picking at the tip of her arrow, trying not to watch them pass by. The first corpse to move was a woman, just a second or more before the others caught Darcy’s eye.

“Ain’t gonna be stopping anytime soon then – dozens of ‘em out here.” Daryl grunted, scanning the woods where they came in numbers sauntering out behind the trees.

“Bet Shane’s regretting taking the top off of his jeep right about now.” Darcy let out a laugh, causing Daryl to smirk and look back in his rear-view mirror, noticing Shane seemed a little more crouched in his Wrangler than usual.

Daryl laughed slightly before focusing back on the road, but it didn’t take too long for Darcy to catch his eye again. He looked at her playing with her arrow as she looked out the window, and he was desperate to try and get to know this woman, no matter how much of a hard ass he played.

“Where’d ya learn to shoot?” He asked.

Darcy let out a sigh, “A little from my uncle, mostly from being alone for those few weeks.” She laughed and looked at him, “Had plenty of practice.”

Daryl nodded, and looked back towards the road. “What happened to him?”

There was a man suddenly, face mottled and webbed with blackened veins just like the rest of the herd. He moved slowly, crouched and limp behind the others. Unlike the rest, he had his gaze on the vehicles, tilting his head ever so slightly while still walking the opposite way. His jaw dropped, showing the rotten teeth and decaying flesh around his lips.

“Slow down.” She sat up, and Daryl gave her a confused look.

“What?” He tried looking out the window to see what she was looking at only to have passed the walker.

Darcy turned and faced Daryl, “Jim.”

-

Smoke released from the RV, something that grew to be inevitable at least once during a long travel. Darcy sat cross-legged in the truck head held in her hands, too tired to even bother gathering with the few who surrounded the nuisance.

Rick held his hat on the side of his hip, “Looks like it happened just in time, we’re running low on gas.”

Daryl nodded and bobbed his head back at the truck, “Us too.”

Dale slapped his sides, “Well, there are plenty of cars around. We can find some left and just rest up for the night. What do you say?”

Shane glanced at Rick while leaning on the RV, “Sounds like a good idea. We all could use the rest.” He raised his head to make sure what he was going to say was true, “Haven’t seen any geeks for miles, might be okay staying here.”

Daryl nodded before turning around and walking back to his truck. He opened his side slowly, making Darcy turn her head and sigh. “Campin’ here for the night.” He mumbled, giving her the okay to get out and walk around to meet him at the truck’s bed.

There was an abandoned house across the street, and Darcy could just make out the outline of what she hoped was human,slowly moving around inside.

“Daryl.” She said, nodding her head in the direction and hearing the wooden floorboards creek under the person’s weight. Darcy squinted her eyes slightly, giving a curious glance to Daryl before setting down the camping gear she held back into the truck and walking over, bow in hand.

Her footsteps were solid, and she just heard the quickened pace of Daryl to catch up with her. “Ay!” Daryl called to the others, getting Rick’s attention.

“Shane, stay here and keep watch?” Rick called back, getting the familiar nod from his friend.

Rick took lead, pulling out his pistol and stepping up the stairs quietly while Darcy took the left and Daryl took the right. Rick positioned himself sideways facing the doorknob, noticing it was opened already by just a slither.

He put up a slender finger to his mouth before reaching out slowly towards the knob. It creaked open as he pushed it with his hand, moving quickly inside before the two hunters followed suit.

It was quiet as the three scanned the first floor. It was a disaster, everything thrown about in undoubtedly a panic state as the owners’ must of packed as quickly as possible. The couch was knocked over, blood spattered on the white cushions. The television was on it’s side, showing their reflection as they moved about the room with ease. Wallpaper was torn and shredded with bullet holes covering the bit that remained on the walls.

Darcy moved into the kitchen, lowering her weapon slightly since she hadn’t seen or heard anything yet. The men rummaged upstairs and Darcy could hear them going through the rooms one by one, checking every nook possible for danger or even supplies.

Darcy walked over to the sink, opening the white cupboards that were slightly dangling from their hinges. She moved quickly to the drawers, and found a large hunter’s knife and wondered who would ever leave it behind.

When she knelt down and tucked it in the side of her boot, she heard a small creak from the other side of the room. It was dark in the corner, and she could just make out a cold gray hand that hung limply out of the shadow.

Darcy raised her bow instinctively, hearing the grunt of the corpse as it took a wobbly step forward. It was a child, a little girl. She had brown hair and a flowered pink dress that was torn at the seams. It hit Darcy like a wave, she seemed so familiar to her, of someone who she lost when this chaos began.

Darcy hesitated, lowering her bow slightly as the girl’s eyes remained locked on her like a predatory beast. She took another step out, and Darcy noticed the bound marks on her wrists as if someone tried to tie her down. The skin was rubbed off raw, and Darcy could almost see bone.

Darcy’s mind was blank as the small body snapped its jaws and raised its arms, lurching for Darcy. She retreated several paces back slowly, barely breathing as an arrow was suddenly shot through the girl’s skull. The body crippled to the floor, and Darcy looked up with an unresponsive face towards Daryl. He had his crossbow in his hands, just lowered from taking the shot. He stared at her, eyes scrunched in confusion and almost irritation that she didn’t kill the girl to start.

Darcy didn’t say anything, but looked at the lifeless body on the floor before walking past Daryl and out of the house with a quickened pace, just brushing his shoulder as she did.

He didn’t say anything but just let her go as Rick came down the stairs and met with him. Rick nodded towards the body. “Darcy find that one?”

Daryl nodded and cleared his throat, still watching Darcy as she walked across the street. “Yeah.”

“Then this place is clear. We can stay here for the night.” Rick said, patting Daryl’s shoulder and walking out the door with his hand on his holster.

When Rick was gone, Daryl turned around and looked at the body as he shifted his weight on his feet, wondering what about that little girl made Darcy pull back.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the wait! Been super busy and quite frankly, I had some trouble figuring out how to do this one. Leave me some comments for feedback/thoughts/opinions whatever you may have - I'm really happy about the feedback I've been getting so keep it up!

- Jane