We Could Be a Story

"Huh, I wonder who left that there."

‘It was a dark day. The rain came down in heavy downpours and anything caught in it was soaked to the core in seconds. Jack sat in his car, staring out the slowly fogging windows wondering if he should risk going out there, if the small run to the music shop would be worth it. The shop door was only two, maybe three meters away but in rain like this, distance didn’t mean squat.

It had been miserable like this for days, confining Jack to his house and didn’t seem like it was going to let up anytime soon. He was sick of being suck at home by himself. He just wanted out and the first place he thought of was his favourite music shop. Now, if only the rain would lighten up at little.

He glanced at the clock every so often and by the time twenty minutes had gone past, the driver’s door window and half the windscreen were completely fogged over. The rain hadn’t lightened a drop, if anything it sounded heavier, though it was hard to tell from noise of water slapping the tin overhang of the shop. Even in the car it was a little deafening.

Jack wondered for a moment if he should just go back home as he drew a smiley face on the glass. He waited another five minutes, filling the door window with smiley faces before he gave up, reaching for the keys in the ignition.

He pulled them out and flung the car door open. Large ice-cold drops rained down making dark patches on his clothes as Jack scrambled to get out of the car quick enough, more worried about soaking the inside of the car rather than himself. Slamming the door he all but leaped for the footpath and under the overhang of the shop. It didn’t provide much protection though, but enough cover for Jack to lock his car and attempt to shake any loose droplets out of his hair.

Pushing the shop door open, Jack was blasted by a wave of warm air and shivered slightly. It was bright inside, a complete contrast from outside but it was just as empty. At first Jack though he was the only customer until he spotted a lady and guy huddled near the DVD stands. He walked into the shop further, making his way past the empty counter and towards the music area.

He was almost to the Rock section when a voice made him stop.

“I hope you’re going to mop all that water up.”

Jack spun around to see Kassie walking towards him carrying a box with a shy smile. She stopped not far from where he was standing and placed the box on the ground, flipping the flaps over. Looking past her, Jack could see a trail of wet spots on the carpet matting coming from the door.

“Sorry.” He apologised smiling.

“It’s alright,” Kassie chuckled, glancing up at him from the box. “You’re not the first person. It’ll dry eventually.”

Looking down, Jack lifted one of his feet to see a large wet patch. Oops.

“I haven’t seen you in here for a while, been away?” She asked sitting down on the ground and pulling a handful of CDs from the box.

“We had a small tour. It was sort of last minute, but we were invited and it looked like fun.” Jack grinned. “So we said yes. Didn’t expect to come home to this weather though.”

“It’s been horrible. Before all this rain it was freezing, the heaters in the shop almost couldn’t cope with it. Now I’m afraid the shop is going to flood or something.”

“It’s going to really suck if the storm drains can’t keep with all the water.” Jack pointed out with a frown.

Kassie nodded in agreement and pulled out a new handful of CDs, sorting them into piles.

“My house is sort on a hill so if something that was to happen, it should be alright. This shop won’t be, all the water would run right through this place. It’s happened before.”

Jack blinked surprised and looked around the store trying to imagine a layer of water throughout the place and couldn’t picture it. Looking back down at Kassie, he shifted awkwardly for a moment. Well it’s wasn’t like he was in here actually searching for anything music wise, in fact he had came to the shop to see her, not that Jack would openly admit that to anyone.

He sat down on the ground in front of Kassie, careful not to knock over the growing towers of albums. Kassie looked up at him and smiled. He couldn’t help smiling back. Her smiles were one of the main reasons why he wanted to come here despite the pouring rain.

“Hopefully that won’t happen again.” Jack said almost reassuringly. “Fancy having to work on a day like this though.” He added teasing.

“It’s so not fair!” Kassie exclaimed dramatically before laughing. “I don’t mind it, it is a bit boring with hardly anyone coming in but I can get all the new stock done without having to stop and start all the time.”

“I’m not bothering you, am I?” He asked, suddenly a little worried that he was.

Kassie shook her head and smiled softly. Jack relaxed a little and shifted so he was sitting cross-legged. Already his clothes were drying, they were still damp enough to stick to his skin uncomfortably but at least he wasn’t dripping water everywhere anymore.

“That’s good. I rather talk to you than go home right now.” He admitted ducking his head a little.

He saw the blush creep up on Kassie’s cheeks and cheered mentally holding back a grin.

“Nice to know someone likes my company.” Kassie said shyly. “Nothing much happening at home?”

“Nah. You can only watch so much TV before it gets boring and Alex has my guitar for some reason.”

Kassie nodded and pulled out yet another handful of albums. The conversation sparked from there, discussing the best ways to keep entertained during weather like this to what their favourite seasons were and beyond. They didn’t talk much about anything very personal but it wasn’t short talk either, just random things for the most part.

It was nice though and Jack found himself having a good time. It wasn’t often he got to talk to someone where the band wasn’t the only main topic for once.

Watching her continuing to sort out the CDs as they talked, Jack realised this was the first longest conversation that they ever had. Sure they have talked plenty of times over the last year but it always ended with one of having to leave, being called away or just simply running out of things to say leaving the air between them a little awkward. Today felt freer though, in some weird way.

She let out a sudden laugh rocking backwards a little. Jack shot her a curious look and she held up the first album in her hands. It was one of All Time Low’s albums. Their newest one to be exact.

Jack smile and carefully took it out of her hand, looking it over. He’d seen it plenty of times and has a couple of copies of his own, but he hasn’t actually seen a shop wrapped one before.

“They have been selling good. We get a new order in about every three weeks.” Kassie said placing down the other copies in her hands on one of the piles. “I still haven’t been to one of your shows yet, something comes up every time I get the chance to. It sucks.”

Putting the album down with the others, Jack looked up at Kassie, catching a small frown pulling at her lips before she quickly covered it up. He had known for a while that she was a fan of their music but it never accrued to him about live shows. They never really talked about the band more than slight mentions of being away on tour.

Jack spun what Kassie said in her head for a moment.

“Really?” He asked with a lack of anything else to say.

Kassie nodded with a small half smile before going back to task at hand. Jack watched her thoughtfully as she continued stacking CDs while constantly pushing her hair behind her ear.

Taking Kassie to one of their concerts could turn out as a pretty good date if they go out for late dinner after. Realising what he just though, Jack awkwardly cleared his throat and looked away from the girl in front of him.

Honestly Jack has had a bit of a crush on Kassie for a while now. He never exactly told anyone about it but at the same time it wasn’t a secret, because, well, Alex knew. Alex also wouldn’t shut up with ideas of how Jack could ask her out. Jack was glad he wasn’t here right now.

Thinking quickly, he took a deep breath and kept his gaze over her shoulder.

“Well, next time we play a hometown gig, I’ll tell you early so you won’t be busy and I’ll sneak you backstage.” He suggested trying to keep his voice from sounding too hopeful.

Kassie’s head snapped up, eyes wide in surprise. For a split moment she didn’t say anything and Jack felt whatever hope he had fall in his stomach thinking that maybe he said the wrong thing. What hope he did have did a sudden one eighty degree turn when a slow wide smile spread across Kassie’s face.

“Really?” She asked almost parroting Jack from before. “That would be awesome!- but you really don’t have to. I can always get tickets; I don’t want to be too much of a bother.”

Jack let out a light laugh and shook his head. That’s one thing he’s realised about her, she was selfless, never wanting to step on anyone’s toes.

He grinned and shook his head again.

“You wouldn’t be. You’ll be my guest; we always have friends and family backstage during home shows. You wouldn’t be a bother at all. The guys would be glad to finally meet the infamous Kassie I keep talking about.”

Realising the last part he said, Jack ducked his head a little and glanced at the racks next to him. It was quiet for a moment, but it wasn’t exactly awkward. The bell on the shop door rang as the couple Jack saw earlier left. It was just them now.

Jack tried to think of something to say but came up short. Kassie spoke first.

“I’d like if you could do that. It would be amazing to watch you guys live and maybe even hang out would you- the band too if that was alright.” She said with a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

“That would be alright. We usually go out for drinks after, you could come if you’d like.”

“Sure. That would be great.”

It was quiet then, only the sounds of the music playing in the shop, clinking of the heaters and patter of rain on the roof could be heard. This was the most cliché moment Jack’s ever been in and almost laughed at the thought.

Kassie, who had finally sorted out the box into huge stacks of CDs, picked one up and stood. Jack watcher for a minute before getting up off the ground. She took the few sort steps to the Rock section and started arranging the cases.

Not sure what to do, Jack pulled out his phone from his deepest pocket and checked the time. He’d actually been in the shop a lot longer than he thought. He didn’t have anywhere to be but he thought about going home. Mostly so he could jump up and down like an idiot without any one seeing.

“So,” Jack said drawing out the ‘o’ sound. “I might go. I’ll let you know about the concert, we’re booking a new tour next week. Or maybe we already have. I’ll find out.”

“Okay. Thank you.” Kassie smiled brightly. “I’ll defiantly try stay free for that day.”

“You work here most days, right?”

“Yeah,” Kassie answered with a nod. “If I’m not in here, just ask whoever is working and they’ll tell you when I’m in. But I’m here pretty much every weekday.”

“Okay. See you.”

“Bye. Drive safe in this rain.”

Jack flashed a grin as he turned away and headed for the door. It wasn’t until he was outside being almost shoved backward by the cold wind when he let a softer, probably more goofier smile spread across his face.

As quick as he had earlier, he ran for his car and jumped into the driver’s seat as fast as possible. The inside of the car door got slightly wet again but it didn’t matter much because Jack was sure he was dripping water all over the seat.

Turning the car on, he let the heater warm up before pulling out of the carpark. He tried looking for her through the shop windows as he left but couldn’t see much past all the posters stuck to the glass. He grinned again to himself thinking about what the next tour would bring.

As it turns out it brings a lot. Kassie did manage to keep the night free and Jack happily escorted her through the backdoor of the venue. The concert was awesome, as always and Jack somehow managed to get his whole dinner date after the shop idea to work, thought he suspected Alex secretly helped with that.

They ended up falling in love. Had lots of awesome sex and lived happily ever after with a dog that liked to bit on my Jack’s ankles, thinking they are a chew toy.’


Hearing laughing coming from the lounge room, Jack got up from the deck chair and placed the guitar down gently by the open back door. He slid his way into the house quietly and into the lounge room to the back of the couch where Kassie sat with a pile of papers on her lap.

Smiling, he lent down until his head and resting on top of hers.

“Whatcha laughing at?” He asked, curious.

“Just something someone left on my pillow this morning.” Kassie grinned turning her head up in an attempt to look at him.

“Huh, I wonder who left that there.”

Jack moved around the front of the couch and sat down, pulling Kassie’s legs into his lap. They shared a smile before Kassie lent over kissing Jack’s cheek.

“Whoever it was I’d like to say thank you to them.” Kassie said with a knowing grin.

“You’re welcome, my lady.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Had this as a random idea, so I wrote it down. I tried to keep it short-ish which probably made it a little choppy :/ But I haven't posted anything in a while and wanted to get this up while I took a brake from my other writings.
I hoped you still liked it, thank you for reading :)