Status: In Hiatus (too much stuff going on... haven't been able to concentrate on anything)

I Am Your Safe Haven

Self Defense Class

When I noticed that Brayden had tagged me in the relationship status, I had to sit for an hour thinking of the pros and cons about being tagged. I didn't want him hurt if Nathan should perhaps find me. I know that Nathan would try something stupid and it would not only hurt both Brayden and I, but it would hurt the Rochester Americans, their fan base and even potentially the Buffalo Sabres and I didn't want that. The biggest pro was the fact that I really did care about Brayden and I knew that he would help me get over my fears that Nathan caused.

After the long hour, I finally said screw it and accepted it. The worst thing that could happen was Nathan finding out. I was able to fall back asleep and once I had woke up, I looked at my phone and decided to call Kelly to see if she knew about any self defense classes.

"Hey! How did it go last night?" she asked once she picked up.

I smiled and said, "Really well."

"I seen on Facebook..." she started and then laughed.

"So you knew!" I said and she kept on laughing. I shook my head and said, "On a more serious note, you hear about any self defense classes?"

"They have a few going on today down at the Y," she said. "You thinking about taking up classes?"

"Yeah," I replied. "I just think it would be a good idea."

"Why don't you get dressed and I will pick you up in thirty hun," she said.

"Okay, see you soon Kelly," I said. "Thanks."

"No problem," she said. "Bye."

Skittles jumped up on the bed with a little pink mouse that Brayden got for her. "Mommy just wants to make sure she can be ready just in case," I said to her, getting up and digging through my dresser.

**************

I walked out of the YMCA after the class was over, dripping with sweat. Quite a few people avoided me as they walked to their cars, causing Kelly to laugh. "What's so funny?" I asked her.

She shook her head as a guy seen us coming and struggled to get his car door unlocked. Once we stepped in front of his car, he dove into his car. "I think he is scared of you," Kelly stated.

He bent over to avoid being seen and I shook my head. "I just did what the instructor asked me to do," I remarked.

Kelly laughed and said, "Yeah, you kicked ass hard!"

"What was I supposed to do? Be a fluff?" I asked, only to have her laugh harder.

"It seemed like you were possessed," she said. "When Jim asked you to do something, you did it as if he was the bad guy."

"Just pretended he was my ex-husband," I said calmly.

She looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Honey, be honest with me, did he beat you?" she asked me.

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes," I said after a minute. "Sometimes I was afraid he wouldn't stop."

We arrived at her car and she unlocked it. She looked at me and asked, "Have you told Brayden yet?"

I shook my head and said, "No, I don't want to scare him away. If I tell him now, he might run and I would never have a chance to get closer to him."

"You really care about him, don't you?" Kelly asked me as she got in her car.

I got in, nodding and said, "I want to protect him but I am scared he is going to find me."

She started her car as she buckled her seat belt. After I buckled mine, she pulled out of the parking lot and went in the opposite direction from which we came from. "You are going the wrong way," I said.

She shook her head and said, "Honey, I can read into things real well. You are scared of your ex-husband or more so what he is capable of. You need to get a permit for a gun and learn how to use one."

I shook my head and said, "I hate guns and it's harder now to get one anyways. I don't want to waste time."

"I know some people," she said. "You need to learn how to use one if you are that scared of him. I know it will give you peace of mind that you can disarm him in some way shape or form."

I gave her a look and she said, "Oh, don't worry honey. It will all be legal and I have a way to protect you from him finding out about your permit."

I sat back, knowing I lost the fight and said, "He hasn't been able to find any of my records now. He might have a hard time finding out about my permit."

"That's the spirit," she said, keeping her eyes on the road.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy this chapter. It didn't turn out how I had planned but somehow I think this might be able to make things better. I will try to update this story at least once a week again. It might be slow over the next couple of weeks due to my dad receiving some bad news about a friend. I hope you understand. Keep looking for updates!