Status: One Shot

A Better Reality

I know I sound crazy...

Alex let out a heavy sigh, sitting at his desk. He was blocking out the sounds of the teacher droning at the front of the class, the students around him messing around, the little ticks of the clock that signaled each and every new seconds that he was just wasting his breath on…

As he was assigned his homework for the weekend, which he knew he wouldn’t finish, he turned his attention towards the window. He would look out to the trees and buildings and imagine running around, being playful and free. He could picture himself climbing the tallest tree and then sitting there, enjoying his own little world. Sometimes he could even imagine somebody joining him; that somebody was a person who didn’t exist, but could remain his friend forever. Jack was the same as Alex. They liked all the same things, had the same sense of humor, and because he was just a figment of Alex’s imagination, they matured at the same rate.

Packing up his belongings for the last time that week, Alex made his way out the door, a small smile appearing on his face when he took a quick look back and saw his friend standing there, waving and waiting for him.

--

It was now Friday Evening. Alex had finished his dinner and made a half-assed attempt at doing his homework. By the time he’d finished one of the many assignments he decided he was too exhausted to do anything else. He left his little computer chair to crawl into bed, not even caring that he was still wearing his jeans and a t-shirt. He at least took his beanie off, tossing it onto his nightstand. He let his heavy eyes flutter shut as he pulled the blankets tight around him, feeling sleep begin to overtake him.

Just as he was about to break through the final wall and fall into dreams of a world where he didn’t have to grow up, he felt a dip in the bed. His eyes snapped opened, widening at the sight.

A mess of black hair with tufts of blonde was the first thing to draw his attention. Next, he was met with rather thick eyebrows that he seemed to know all too well, along with big, innocent, brown eyes that shut to reveal long eyelashes against rosy cheeks when they blinked. Sat in the very middle of the familiar yet completely new face was the nose that most would consider too big, but was in all ways perfect. And underneath the nose? That cute little smile that Alex would fantasize about possibly getting to kiss one day. That smile that he had stuck in his mind and would occasionally make his days a little better. When he finally looked at the full picture, he gasped softly.

“Jack?”

“Hi, Alex.”

That was his voice. The happy, playful tone that his brain had conjured up when he first imagined
speaking to the lanky figure that was perched on his bed. Alex would have been lying if he said that he didn’t feel his eyes start to sting. He also noticed his vision blur a little, but he was too shocked to notice the little drops of liquid streaming down his face.

“Lex? Why are you crying? Oh God, it’s my fault, isn’t it?” Jack asked, a little panicked that he was making his friend cry. Alex shook his head, lunging forward to hug the figure and make sure that it wasn’t just his imagination being too vivid. He shivered when he felt a pair of arms wrap back around him, holding him tight.

Jack was real. His Jack was real and in his bedroom and holding him. It seemed so perfect that he almost didn’t believe it, but how could he deny it. When Alex was about to ask if it really was more than a dream, Jack whispered something in his ear that made his heart soar.

“Run away with me.”

--

Alex was gripping Jack’s shoulders, still not over the fact that what seemed to be glitter of all things now had him flying over Baltimore. He had his eyes clenched shut as Jack held him tight, weaving his way through the clouds. He suddenly felt warm. He heard birds chirping and singing, and the calming sound of running water.

“Open your eyes.” Jack cooed. Alex did so, staring in wonder when he did.

“Where are we?” He breathed out, watching as the drifted down to a small clearing in the middle of a shore line. As his feet touched solid ground once more, he turned around in Jack’s arms, still looking over the amazing sights.

“Welcome to Never Never Land, where you never have to grow up.” Jack finally answered with a grin, hooking his chin over Alex’s shoulder.

--

After a long day of adventuring and exploring with Jack by his side, Alex found himself yawning every few minutes, struggling to keep his eyes open. They climbed up to a cave that was placed behind a waterfall. It was a small one, so Alex could still let his legs dangle over the edge as he overlooked a colorful fairy pool without getting soaked. Jack plopped down next to him, grinning.

“Tired?”

“A little… but it’s completely worth it.” Alex smiled over at Jack.

“Why’s that?” Jack asked softly, reaching over to shyly lace their fingers together. Giving a small
squeeze, he blushed when it was returned and his shoulder was rested on.

“I got to meet my best friend…” Alex mumbled, shutting his eyes. He felt the soft press of lips against his forehead as he finally did fall asleep.

--

When Alex awoke, he expected to find Jack and the amazing sights of Never Never Land, as he had called it. Instead he was met by his alarm clock blaring, and his heart sunk. He swallowed down the lump in his throat, rubbing his tired, and now teary, eyes. Throwing the covers off his body he shut off the alarm clock and shuffled off to get ready for his day.

‘Maybe it was just a really, really vivid dream…’ He thought sadly. He needed to clear his mind. He needed to evaluate everything that happened and try to push his feelings aside.

Throwing on a clean shirt and a hat, he shuffled to the front door. He laced up his shoes as he blinked back tears, keeping his head down. Of course he would imagine something so wonderful. Didn’t he always? Why would Jack suddenly appear out of the blue to drag him away and make him happy for once?

Shaking his head at his own stupidity, Alex made his way to the park, where most of his make-believe adventures took place. He didn’t know that he was about to collide with somebody until he saw their shoes right by his own, and then he found himself being knocked back. He didn’t get a good glimpse at the person, simply because he was too focused on collecting many papers that had scattered across the grass.

“Oh, geez. I’m so sorry. I really should have been watching where I was going.” He rushed out.

“No, no, it’s fine. I wasn’t paying attention either.” The stranger responded. Alex was too busy picking things up to focus on the fact that the voice sounded like something he’d heard before.

Drawings of Peter Pan and his Lost Boys littered the page. He was snatching them and messily piling them to avoid making the ache in his chest worse until one caught his eye, and he found himself staring at it. It was a view of a waterfall that ended to create a small pool that was practically see-through. It was a gorgeous mixture of blues, greens, pinks, purples, and every other color that Alex could remember from his dream. He looked at the corner, where a little “JBB” was scribbled and furrowed his brow.

“Hey, this is really good…” He mumbled, finally looking up at the stranger upon handing the papers back. Once again, his eyes widened upon being met by innocent brown ones that made his heart melt. The figure smiled, holding out a hand to help Alex up. Alex was still in shock, gasping at the familiar smoothness and warmth of the other boy’s hand.

“Jack?” Alex questioned under his breath, honestly not expecting a response due to how quiet he was. He really didn’t mean to say it, either. It just slipped out. He began to grow worried until the boy grinned widely, squeezing his hand.

“Hi, Alex.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I WAS WATCHING PETER PAN AND THIS HAPPENED.

Is it even remotely decent?