Iced

Some kind of madness

“Sloane can you grab my memory card? It’s on the desk behind you,” Mike whispered, tugging his headphones off his ears and around his neck.

I nodded, switching my microphone off and swiping the tiny card into my palm. I fiddled with a few buttons on the board once the card was safely in his hands. My fingers finally landed on the button I was searching for and I cued into the transition song that ended my show and started the next.

I removed my set of headphones and placed them on the table. Zack, the next DJ, was standing behind me, ready to take over. He patted my shoulder happily as he took my seat.

“I think that was a great start to your time here Sloane,” he said.

“Thanks Zack. That means a lot,” I replied sincerely, running a hand through my hair.

“Dan is downstairs. He has your passes for the game tonight. Keep it clean, no cheering for either side specifically,” Zack teased, winking at me.

I rolled my eyes as I left with Mikey in front of me, waving over my shoulder. As we left the building, Mike snatched the tickets from Dan, who chuckled. We walked quickly back to our apartment, which was only fifteen minutes away from the radio station. Mikey chatted excitedly about the night, waving the passes around giddily. Though he didn’t like hockey, Mike did enjoy a good game, no matter the sport.

The second we stepped into the apartment I let out a sigh of relief. “Oh thank god.”

Mikey laughed, shaking his arms out as we thawed in our doorstep. When we had woken up earlier that day we were surprised to see a good five inches or so of snow on the ground and still falling. It hadn’t accumulated much more than an inch throughout the day, but the wind was biting.

I rubbed my hands together as I stepped into the kitchen. My eyes shifted towards the clock on the wall which read 6:35 PM.

“We have to leave in ten Mike. Go get your stuff together,” I called out as I stuck my head into the fridge.

Sadly there was nothing to eat. Neither Mike nor I had had any desire to go grocery shopping after moving all of our stuff in, and today we had woken up late and gone sightseeing for Mikey’s benefit. At 4 we went to the station and then headed back to the apartment.

My stomach growled in protest when I shut the fridge and trudged down the hall to my room. I had only eaten at lunch, which was around 1 and very light.

“Lo, what do I wear to a hockey game?” Mikey’s voice echoed down the hall.

“Mikey,” I sighed, “What do you want to wear? Just throw on a pair of nice jeans. We’re representing a company, remember?”

Mikey let out a groan of annoyance from his room down the hall as I opened my own closet to find something to wear. Stripping out of the work clothes I had on, I stuffed my legs into a pair of faded skinny jeans. I pulled an oversized, short-sleeve gray button up over my head and tugged on my ankle boots, almost tripping as I tried to do it as quickly as possible.

I ran down the hall to Mike’s room, rapped on the door three times and called out, “Let’s go! We’re gonna be late and we can’t miss the T.”

My bag and jacket were draped over the edge of a stool at our island as if they were waiting for me. My fingers pulled on the buttons of the black trench coat, fastening it crooked in my haste. I grumbled out a little moan of irritation just as Mike walked into the room.

“Nervous?” he asked, fussing with his hair.

“Always am before a Bruins game Mike,” I breathed out.

Mike extended his left arm for me once I fixed my jacket and we left the apartment quickly. In the twenty minutes we had been home the winter air had gotten even more bitter. Jack Frost was nipping at our noses. Mike shivered next to me and pulled his camera bag closer to him.

“Thank god the T is so close,” he muttered out.

“Never thought I would hear you say that,” I teased, reaching up to pinch his reddening cheek.

Mike rolled his eyes at me and opened his mouth, but was cut off by the sound of my phone ringing. I held up a finger and he chuckled.

“Sloane Sullivan,” I greeted, expecting it to be a business call.

“A bit much, isn’t it Lo?” the voice chuckled on the other end.

I grinned, catching Mike’s attention. I pointed to my phone and mouthed, “Johnny.”

He rolled his eyes and stepped into the little shelter that the T station on Huntington Ave provided.

“And what can I do for you tonight Johnny?”

I could practically feel Johnny’s wide grin emanating through the phone as he spoke. “Well I caught wind that you’re going to be at a certain hockey game tonight. I’m going as well. Are you going to hang out with me or brush me off for your job?”

“I actually do have work to do Johnny, but you can obviously sit with Mikey and I. We’d love the company.”

The train rumbled under us as we were bustled to the TD Garden station. Almost everyone in the train car that we were in was clad in some sort of Bruins paraphernalia, with a few wearing the opposing team, the Wild’s, jerseys.

“Well I can’t say that I’ll be able to sit with you, but I’ll see you before the game. I have a few people I need to set things straight with tonight.”

Johnny’s irritated tone caught me off guard and I furrowed my brows, asking him instantly what the hell he was talking about. He just brushed me off though and told me he had to go. With a few parting words and directions to the back door where the press could enter, Johnny hung up.

The second he hung up the train slowed to a screeching halt. Mikey linked his arm through mine as we weaved through the crowd that was crossing the street to the Garden. Per Johnny’s instructions, we found the hidden press entrance and flashed our passes to the security guards there.

Inside the stadium was a hub of excitement. I laughed as Mike wrinkled up his nose at the smell, stating that he would never get over how gross it was. We walked right over to the plexiglass wall, next to the Bruins’ bench. The fans were going crazy as the lights around them dimmed and bright lights over the ice turned on.

The music was thumping as the Minnesota Wild skated onto the ice, their relatively small section of fans going, well, wild. I could hear the individual players’ names being yelled but couldn’t distinguish any other cheers. Then the locker room door behind us was pulled open and the first of the Bruins players stepped out.

I could have killed him right there for keeping this from me, but instead I just narrowed my eyes as he walked towards me. Johnny pulled up on his helmet, revealing his grinning face.

“Hey babe,” he chortled.

I rolled my eyes as he pulled me in for a quick hug, much to the players’ behind him dismay as they almost collided with him.

“We’re so talking about this later,” I called after him, but he just winked and pulled his helmet down as he stepped onto the ice.

Mike nudged me and I turned to ask him why but he just made an awkward nod with his head at someone behind me. I turned to meet a pair of familiar green eyes peering out from behind the hockey mask. I knew once I saw Johnny that I would inevitably see Harry, since Johnny had told me they were on the same team. I just didn’t expect it to startle me so much.

My stomach churned as he passed within two feet of me. His eyes didn’t leave mine until he stepped onto the ice and I let out a little gasp. He looked exactly the same: bright green eyes with dark eyelashes that stood out distinctly. His hair was even similar, though the unruly curls he had in high school had become a bit more flattened. It suited him well, I couldn’t help but notice.

The look in his pretty eyes hadn’t changed though. I could feel the burning sensation as he stared at me, but I had no idea what it meant. I had no idea what Harry had against me.

“Well that’s going to make for some interesting pictures,” Mikey murmured.

I was silent for the rest of the game. My eyes followed Harry and Johnny’s sleek movements across the ice as they each netted two goals. Harry assisted with both of Johnny’s, and one of the other player’s as well. His talent certainly hadn’t been wasted - it had been cultivated and he was better than ever.

Johnny got into a fist fight with one of the Wild’s defensemen, Suter, that was nearly twice the width of him. I winced as he emerged bloody-faced but grinning. He received a penalty, but I knew he couldn’t have cared less. That must have been the man he needed to “set things straight” with.

I braced myself for the interaction that I knew I would be having in just moments as the boys high-fived the Minnesota Wild team. Their 6-1 win hadn’t been a surprise. They skated towards the exit and I crossed my arms, leaning against the plexiglass. A few looked towards Mikey and I as Johnny, Nick, and Harry stepped out of line. They stood in front of me, all grinning except Harry. He looked confused.

“Our little good luck charm is back!” Nick exclaimed as he yanked off his helmet and pulled me into his arms.

I grimaced as he nuzzled his sweaty head into my neck, bending down to reach my 5’4” height from his 6’1”. I hugged him back happily though. I really was happy to see the boys, but I wished they had told me that they were playing tonight. The only one I could blame for that was Johnny though.

“Johnny you dick,” I slapped my hands against his chest. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Surprise!” he cheered, throwing his arms out to the side before wrapping me in a hug.

I pushed him off quickly and turned my nose at him. Mike chuckled behind me.

“No hugs for you, Johnathon Farland. I’m pissed at you.”

Even Harry laughed at that, his dimples just peeking through the cage he had on his helmet. I smiled up at him, both happy and startled to hear that sound. He reached a hand up and pulled it off slowly, his eyes boring straight into mine.

“Would you like to come out with us tonight?” I was surprised to hear Harry’s soft voice again, and he looked a little nervous to even be asking. “To celebrate your arrival back home and our win, of course.” A cocky grin slid across his face when he shook his hair out.

Johnny looked over at him with wide eyes, as did Nick, but they recovered quickly. Clearly they too were surprised to hear Harry being polite to me.

I ran a nervous hand through my hair but nodded at him. “That would be lovely. Where should I meet you guys?”

As Johnny and Nick rambled off directions I kept my eyes trained on Harry. He looked around awkwardly before disappearing into the locker room without even a goodbye or parting word. I furrowed my brow but chalked it off to Harry being Harry.

“Strange night, isn’t it Sloane?” Nick’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

Johnny nodded. “Styles seems different tonight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so it wasn't as much Harry interaction as I was going to put in but that's because I had to chop this up into two chapters.

So next time Harry's actually going to talk. Maybe.

Or maybe he'll just stay angsty
idk you'll have to see

;* Angels:
boycott love
xstoriesyettounfoldx
SJRiot


Also random fun fact
I know the Assistant to the GM of the Minnesota Wild
Yeah he's chill
He's my neighbor lolololol